Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Stupid question time...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  00:28:25  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is a thread for "stupid questions about the Realms". I'm sure we've all had odd little questions in our minds of things we would like to know, that are not in any lore or canon. To start, I'd like to ask- Why do Elminster or the other Chosen of Mystra not have familiars? Most of them are wizards or sorcerers, and Dove is even a ranger. So why no animal companions of any kind?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  00:54:37  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is an answer from a mage without a familiar.

My reason for not having a familiar is pretty simple. When the univers bows to your every command. Simply put: When you command the mater of the univers, as my char does... (you would know him as AO) why would you want a feeble, useless, pathetic little pest bussing around you.

For instance my char often goes at decimates the 9 layers of hell for fun, destroys "creeping Doom" with a snap of my fingers, and reanimates him again for fun.

I just find it utter useless!!! A familiar that is!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  01:25:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whose to say that they haven't?

Granted, it's not been specifically referenced in the Realmslore, but it's entirely possible that given the lengthy life-spans of the individual Chosen of Mystra, each have had one or even several familiars over the centuries. But, as time has progressed, perhaps the "novelty," or even just the "requirement," of having a familiar, has vanished.

Really, I think only Ed could answer this question to any relevant degree.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 30 Apr 2010 04:47:25
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  04:09:28  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it be possible to ask him? This is something I'd really like to know the answer to. DID any of them ever have one, and if not, why? And does anyone else have questions like this needing answers?

Incidently, none of my wizard characters ever had one, but it was mostly for convenience' sake. To much trouble to keep up with in-game, and given some of the drawbacks, it didn't really seem worth the effort for the meager rewards. Only one NPC wizard of mine has one, an Archmage with a prankster-ish fairy dragon familiar named (apropriately enough) Pennatella. (The joke is in the name...)

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  04:20:24  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Would it be possible to ask him? This is something I'd really like to know the answer to. DID any of them ever have one, and if not, why? And does anyone else have questions like this needing answers?

Incidently, none of my wizard characters ever had one, but it was mostly for convenience' sake. To much trouble to keep up with in-game, and given some of the drawbacks, it didn't really seem worth the effort for the meager rewards. Only one NPC wizard of mine has one, an Archmage with a prankster-ish fairy dragon familiar named (apropriately enough) Pennatella. (The joke is in the name...)

You can ask him right here

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  06:47:40  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link- I forgot about that page.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  13:21:54  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe Khelben had an owl as familiar, several hundred years back in his first lifetime, according to 'Blackstaff'. Can't remember the name or how long ago it was exactly.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  13:40:12  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

I just find it utter useless!!! A familiar that is!

Ask PunPun how usefull he thinks his familiar is ;)
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  15:18:55  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who be Pun pun???
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  15:24:55  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't tell me you don't know the mightiest beeing ever oO

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869366/The_most_powerful_character._EVER. ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  15:43:41  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I had read that before making my onw char. Damn!!!

And to aswer you question, i did fell I had heard the name of Pun Pun before, but could't place it!
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  15:55:49  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

Don't tell me you don't know the mightiest beeing ever oO

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869366/The_most_powerful_character._EVER. ;-)

Hmmm, I fear I accidently bought Pun Pun in his form of Nut-Pun Rank 1 Demigod Squirrel in a zoo shop a few weeks ago, where a mislead portal dumped him. Since then he has subdued all local squirrels in the neighborhood to be his lackeys and dug a multi-level underground cave dungeon in the garden...
I am worried!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  15:58:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pun Pun is the perfect example of why RPG rules are just like Comp Operating Systems - they are nearly perfect when released, but become more and more broken with each 'update'.

Which is done on-purpose of course, in both cases - if they stayed perfect there would never be a reason to buy into a new one.

Anyhow, I would agree that most mages - Chosen included - have had familiars, but due to their lengthy life spans those familiars are now dead. Most don't bother to get new ones for the same reason why immortals and longer-lived races (like Elves) avoid personal relationships of any kind - no-one wants to watch something/someone they care about grow old and die.

Unless you are a heartless B*, like Gromph, who does indeed have a familiar.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  16:51:19  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do elves avoid personal relationships????
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  18:06:51  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many or most do with short living races
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  18:16:36  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why are there no half-dwarves?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  18:37:46  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Why are there no half-dwarves?

They are there, but for political reasons they refuse to be given stats. Its a beard thing.

Half Dwarves are found in the Realms, but they are (as with half elves in TSR D&D) are more or less identical with dwarves. Hence the dwarven ideas (in Dwarves Deep)of going after human women to increase their birth rate.

With all the additions and templates published during the 3ed. its a bit strange that half dwarves were not given at least some attention.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  19:08:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a specific group of them living on the eastern border of Anauroch, but I forget what they are called, and I'm not anywhere near my sources.

And yeah, for the most part they are treated as regular Dwarves (at least crunch-wise) in FR.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  19:15:00  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

There is a specific group of them living on the eastern border of Anauroch, but I forget what they are called, and I'm not anywhere near my sources.

And yeah, for the most part they are treated as regular Dwarves (at least crunch-wise) in FR.

The D'tarig. Detailed in the 2nd ed. Anauroch book. But I did notice that it said that they may be the descendants of mixed dwarven and human ancestry, it doesn't confirm it. This leaves open the solution that they are a different race all together or of a different mix.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2010 :  23:11:06  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting, but as I recall, while dwarves CAN interbreed with humans, the offspring tend to be sterile, and are hence called (somewhat derogitorily, I believe) "mules". I think that came from some 3.5 Eberron lore, or some such, but it would stand as "standard" for ALL D&D lore, I think. I do recall there being ONE half-dwarf/elf, and that was Drannor, for whom Myth Drannor was supposedly named, according to the 2nd ed book "Cormanthyr". apperantly, he was the product of the first (and likely ONLY) elf/swarf union.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  00:20:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting, but as I recall, while dwarves CAN interbreed with humans, the offspring tend to be sterile, and are hence called (somewhat derogitorily, I believe) "mules". I think that came from some 3.5 Eberron lore, or some such, but it would stand as "standard" for ALL D&D lore, I think. I do recall there being ONE half-dwarf/elf, and that was Drannor, for whom Myth Drannor was supposedly named, according to the 2nd ed book "Cormanthyr". apperantly, he was the product of the first (and likely ONLY) elf/swarf union.

There's more than that one. There are two named ones that I know of, and references to others.

Of the named ones, one was Isinghar "Feyrune" Ironstar, described as a dwelf runecarver and archmage of Ammarindar, who was one of the secondary casters in the raising of the mythal over Myth Glaurach. This is from the Myth Glaurach article that was part of the Mintiper's Chapbook series.

The other named dwelf was Dlarbraddath. We don't know if that was his actual name; we just know that a section of Myth Drannor was "named for the gardener who laid it out, a being said to have an elven mother and a dwarven father!" (page 19, Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor, Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set). I think it more likely he was named Dlarbradd.

The Myth Glaurach article also notes, in the footnotes, that

quote:
Dwarf-elf crossbreeds, known as "dwelf" in the singular and "dwelves" in the plural, are noted as having been common in the days of Eaerlann in FR11 – Dwarves Deep, p. 6.

Page 6 of Dwarves Deep says:

quote:
Humans, gnomes, and halflings are cross-fertile with dwarves. Elminster says elves and dwarves can have issue as well. Common in Ardeep, Eaerlann, and Myth Drannor of old, this is unheard-of today.

and

quote:
"Half-dwarves" are not a distinct race. Save for their height (a head taller than most dwarves) all offspring of unions between dwarves and other races look and act (and are treated in the rules) as pureblood dwarves. Dwarven halfbreeds always have the stocky build and hirsute appearance of purebloods.

There's no notation there about half-dwarves in the Realms being sterile. I think that you're conflating Dark Sun's muls with half-dwarves of the Realms. Muls are sterile, as I recall, and they are also half-dwarves -- but they're also specific to Dark Sun.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 May 2010 00:24:31
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  01:41:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

There's more than that one. There are two named ones that I know of, and references to others.

Of the named ones, one was Isinghar "Feyrune" Ironstar, described as a dwelf runecarver and archmage of Ammarindar, who was one of the secondary casters in the raising of the mythal over Myth Glaurach. This is from the Myth Glaurach article that was part of the Mintiper's Chapbook series.

The other named dwelf was Dlarbraddath. We don't know if that was his actual name; we just know that a section of Myth Drannor was "named for the gardener who laid it out, a being said to have an elven mother and a dwarven father!" (page 19, Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor, Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set). I think it more likely he was named Dlarbradd.

The Myth Glaurach article also notes, in the footnotes, that

quote:
Dwarf-elf crossbreeds, known as "dwelf" in the singular and "dwelves" in the plural, are noted as having been common in the days of Eaerlann in FR11 – Dwarves Deep, p. 6.

Page 6 of Dwarves Deep says:

quote:
Humans, gnomes, and halflings are cross-fertile with dwarves. Elminster says elves and dwarves can have issue as well. Common in Ardeep, Eaerlann, and Myth Drannor of old, this is unheard-of today.

and

quote:
"Half-dwarves" are not a distinct race. Save for their height (a head taller than most dwarves) all offspring of unions between dwarves and other races look and act (and are treated in the rules) as pureblood dwarves. Dwarven halfbreeds always have the stocky build and hirsute appearance of purebloods.

There's no notation there about half-dwarves in the Realms being sterile. I think that you're conflating Dark Sun's muls with half-dwarves of the Realms. Muls are sterile, as I recall, and they are also half-dwarves -- but they're also specific to Dark Sun.

We also have this particular bit from Steven Schend, as well:-
quote:
Dwelves....okay, I'll stop myself early before I start doing haiku about stone shelves and dungeon delves....

As stated above (and like half-elves), they favor and adopt the lifestyle/culture under which they are raised. Same goes for which gods they revere.

Both elves and dwarves have serious cognitive dissonance when it comes to dwelves, as (unlike half-elves or half-orcs, IMO) there's no set form or expectation for how they'll look. It's anyone's guess if you'll end up with a dwarf's body size and shape with elven features and ears or an elf's body but stocky vs. svelte and rather hairier than the norm. Dwarven parents may mourn their child's inability to grow a decent beard, thanks to their elven half, while elves may grumble that the child is more interested in the dirt rather than the tree from which it springs. Most likely, they're only comfortable among some societies that embrace acceptance and unity (like Myth Drannor or Miyeritar or elsewhere).

That said, I was surprised by that Myth Glaurach note. Methinks I'll have to talk to Eric and find out what else he's had the Blackstaff up to while I've not been watching....if only for my own curiousity, of course.

Steven
(and some day I'll tell y'all about the Pentad, an alliance of the churches of five gods of four races...but not today, as only three dwelves worshiped among them, and none of them reached high priest stage or any ranking of note)

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  06:31:09  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My opinion about familiar: if you want to make a strong evil wizard with army to sweep the land, you must have an advisor or personal spy or just a creature you can smash to unleash your fury about the meddling stupid paladins. That is familiar.

Where can I find more lore about the half-dwarfs?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  07:12:14  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, okay, it was Dark Sun. Knew it was one of the other worlds. Thanks for refreshing my memory on that score, Wooly. However, I do wonder why they would be sterile there and not elsewhere. I seem to remember there being a similar restriction on half-elf/half-orcs. That they either cannot interbreed, or if they can, the offspring cannot have children. Any reason for that?

Ah, about the familiars- seems to me that would be one of the few reasons to have one in the first place. And as someone who loves animals, I simply could not see someone taking the time to form that close of a bond with any creature, and then just callously destroying it for his own gain. Or is that just the nature-lover in me? Anyone else have issues with that in or out of game?

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  07:25:21  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always have a familiar, when I create an arcane profession. They can act as your second voice or outlet for some of the problems. Yes, they are useless, but they liven up the athmosphere. Some of them can be schemers behind the schemers, if you remember Druzil.
Can you believe that the critter that you binded to your service is an agent of a powerfull entity that manipulates your actions? Few wizards would be that sceptic.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  07:33:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

Where can I find more lore about the half-dwarfs?
There's a small snippet in Ed Greenwood's Dwarves Deep.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  07:39:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, okay, it was Dark Sun. Knew it was one of the other worlds. Thanks for refreshing my memory on that score, Wooly. However, I do wonder why they would be sterile there and not elsewhere.
Muls are born sterile and are a distinct DARK SUN race. Whereas the half-dwarves of the Realms aren't a distinct race. They are still, essentially, pureblood dwarves, as Ed's Dwarves Deep notes. Thus, they can still breed.

The fact that Muls can't breed would seem to be an inherent aspect of Athasian dwarven genetics.

Edited by - The Sage on 01 May 2010 07:44:19
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  15:16:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer to think that the sterility factor is the 'norm', and that Mystra's Weave permeates all aspects of Faerunian life, allowing for certain things not possible elsewhere.

Not entirely my concept - I borrowed that from Xanth series of novels. Because of the highly magical nature of Xanth, impossible crossbreeds become possible (creating creatures like Centaurs, Harpies, Minotaurs, ect).

And since at one time, way back in the beginning, the Weave = 'Life', that makes sense in my version of the Realms. In my FR, living creatures cannot permanently dwell within a magic-dead zone - they must leave it for a few hours each day.

Just my way of looking at the Realms - nothing canon - I like to think of the Realms as unique in the multiverse.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  16:08:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, okay, it was Dark Sun. Knew it was one of the other worlds. Thanks for refreshing my memory on that score, Wooly. However, I do wonder why they would be sterile there and not elsewhere. I seem to remember there being a similar restriction on half-elf/half-orcs. That they either cannot interbreed, or if they can, the offspring cannot have children. Any reason for that?

There have always been differences between demihuman races from world to world. The Realms does not have a race of really tall elves who run everywhere or cannibal halflings, for example, and Krynn's elves don't match the elves of any other D&D world.

Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  21:38:16  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait, there's a stupid question thread and nobody told me? I belong here.

Just let me think of a stupid question quick.

Also the half dwarf question, i've often wondered the same thing.

It's been a while since I've read any dragonlance, how exactly do the elves in Krynn differ from the elves on Faerun?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  22:01:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Genis

Wait, there's a stupid question thread and nobody told me? I belong here.

Just let me think of a stupid question quick.

Also the half dwarf question, i've often wondered the same thing.

It's been a while since I've read any dragonlance, how exactly do the elves in Krynn differ from the elves on Faerun?

Well, for one thing, there's no drow on Krynn. Krynnish elves are identified by their homeland more than anything else -- rather than have high elves or grey elves, like generic D&D worlds, or moon and gold elves, like the Realms, they have Qualinesti and Silvanesti. Their stats depend on their homeland. Back in 2E, their level and class limits were also dictated by their homeland.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000