Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Maztica 4E
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Smith
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2010 :  16:39:54  Show Profile Send John Smith a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
While perusing different Maztica-related topics, I have learned that Maztica no longer exists in 4th Edition. What a load of BS! What happened to it? Anyways, this bit of info just reinforces my motto to buy absolutely nothing from WOTC anymore. 4th edition is garbage. I heard bits and pieces about changes they made to the FR in 4th edition and they were all bad. Instead of putting out new worlds, why don't they build on what they have. Kara-Tur, Al-Qadim, Maztica and even Greyhawk. What is the general concensus about 4th Edition?

Thanks for listening

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2010 :  17:28:48  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can keep Maztica in your 4e version of the realms if you wish.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

darkelf15962
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2010 :  17:42:01  Show Profile  Visit darkelf15962's Homepage Send darkelf15962 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was replaced with the continent of Returned Abeir during the spellplague.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2010 :  19:15:19  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Smith

Whilenothing[/b][/u].....Instead of putting out new worlds, why don't they build on what they have. Kara-Tur, Al-Qadim, Maztica and even Greyhawk. What is the general concensus about 4th Edition?

Thanks for listening

I think with this approach, WOTC truely believes that they are doing both.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Arzakon
Seeker

Spain
58 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2010 :  19:33:43  Show Profile  Visit Arzakon's Homepage Send Arzakon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I agree that getting Maztica out of the main setting is something I don't like, there's still something you should read before being so harsh to 4th edition.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12783&whichpage=1

You may argue as you wish about anything related on 4th edition, but some people really like the new edition (not me, but that doesn't matter).

EDIT: Wrong link; changed it ;).

Edited by - Arzakon on 10 Feb 2010 19:39:33
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2010 :  20:24:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A young DeForest Kelley comes out, wearing his traditional blue-shirt uniform and carry the bulky Tri-corder. He takes the mystical wand and waves it over the thread's underlying topic.

"It's dead, Jim. It's like it was beaten to death by a million blows all over it's body."

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 10 Feb 2010 20:25:42
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2010 :  23:35:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maztica isn't gone. It's just not on Toril anymore.

As it is, Maztica was transposed with the portion of Returned Abeir in the Realms. It does still exist, but PCs will likely need to venture forth and discover a way to travel to Abeir in order to visit Maztica.

Brian's take, which he may plan to explore in some future article, "is that the terra incognita lands *north* of Maztica were the lands replaced."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2010 :  00:06:10  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some places were outright destroyed via the Spellplague, and other places were transposed onto Toril from Abeir (and vise versa). Maztica is on of these places. If anything, Maztica got a lot more interesting now that it is in a place ruled by primordial and dragon lords :)

Edit: My grammar is terrible today- I blame the blizzard I am living through

Edited by - Matt James on 11 Feb 2010 00:07:07
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2010 :  14:39:45  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a good campaign idea. Have the PCs be IN Maztica when the spellplague happens and they transport to Abeir along with Maztica and they have to find their way back to Toril.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2010 :  01:31:58  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

While perusing different Maztica-related topics, I have learned that Maztica no longer exists in 4th Edition. What a load of BS! What happened to it? Anyways, this bit of info just reinforces my motto to buy absolutely nothing from WOTC anymore. 4th edition is garbage. I heard bits and pieces about changes they made to the FR in 4th edition and they were all bad. Instead of putting out new worlds, why don't they build on what they have. Kara-Tur, Al-Qadim, Maztica and even Greyhawk. What is the general concensus about 4th Edition?

Thanks for listening

I'm one of those guys who wasn't impressed with the idea of Maztica or the whole "New World" theme that was so paralleled to the real world. Same went for Mulhorandi and Unther. I didn't see the point for a egyptian style setting at all. So the fact that they removed those parts of the setting I had no joy or love for was a really big boon for me. Be that as it may, Kara-Tur is still there (i'm not sure about Al-Qadim) so the eastern/asian theme is still prevalent in the Realms.

Also, I don't put much stock into "general consensus" because I like to make judgements for a product (be it a movie, video game, RPG product, car, blah-blah) based on my own testing and experience with said product. I'll be fair and say that 4E and FR4E isn't for everyone, which is cool, but I'd at least urge you to give it a fair shot before making up your mind. But that's just me.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2010 :  01:40:55  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Here's a good campaign idea. Have the PCs be IN Maztica when the spellplague happens and they transport to Abeir along with Maztica and they have to find their way back to Toril.

before Matt comes back and says it.
Sigil, Its really cool place

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2010 :  01:53:17  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's another one: The PCs are in Maztica before the Spellplague happens and find a way to prevent it from ever happening...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2010 :  03:01:46  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm of fan of Sigil, yes ;)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2010 :  05:34:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

Thanks for listening

I'm one of those guys who wasn't impressed with the idea of Maztica or the whole "New World" theme that was so paralleled to the real world. Same went for Mulhorandi and Unther. I didn't see the point for a egyptian style setting at all. So the fact that they removed those parts of the setting I had no joy or love for was a really big boon for me. Be that as it may, Kara-Tur is still there (i'm not sure about Al-Qadim) so the eastern/asian theme is still prevalent in the Realms.

Also, I don't put much stock into "general consensus" because I like to make judgements for a product (be it a movie, video game, RPG product, car, blah-blah) based on my own testing and experience with said product. I'll be fair and say that 4E and FR4E isn't for everyone, which is cool, but I'd at least urge you to give it a fair shot before making up your mind. But that's just me.

I made my own judgement after reading the entire FRCG. I'm a firm believer in making your own opinion, as well.

I've also sworn off buying anything from WotC, but my reasoning isn't quite the same. I won't touch anything 4E, nor any 4E setting. I don't like any aspect of 4E or what it did to my beloved Realms. But I am not actually boycotting WotC -- I'm simply refusing to support what I dislike. I would buy some of the web content, if I could pick and choose what I was buying. As they have an all or nothing approach to web content, they get nothing from me. If WotC released something I wanted and it wasn't 4E or part of a larger package of material I dind't want, then I would buy it.

On topic -- I had zero use for Maztica. That was one area of the Realms I was blissfully ignorant of, for a combination of reasons. One was that after the Moonshae trilogy, I wasn't eager to read any more Douglas Niles. The other reason was that the little I knew about the area made it sound way too much like the real world... I didn't actually dislike Maztica; I didn't have enough info to like or dislike it. I simply wasn't interested in it, and basically treated it as if it wasn't there.

That said, I still considered it a part of the published Realms. The fact that I didn't pay attention to it didn't matter -- it was still established as part of the setting and had its place in the continuity. For that reason, I was unhappy to see it moved out of the 4E setting. The how of its disappearance bugs me, too, but the disappearance itself is quite irksome to me.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Feb 2010 05:39:09
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2010 :  06:08:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That said, I still considered it a part of the published Realms. The fact that I didn't pay attention to it didn't matter -- it was still established as part of the setting and had its place in the continuity. For that reason, I was unhappy to see it moved out of the 4E setting. The how of its disappearance bugs me, too, but the disappearance itself is quite irksome to me.
I've thought about this myself, actually.

My mental meanderings suggest that only parts of northern Maztica were transposed with Abeir, leaving much of the southern lands largely intact on Toril. Well, sort of. The sudden and violent withdrawal of the Maztican region, likely resulted in tsunamis and other natural disasters wreaking havoc throughout much of the area after the Spellplague.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2010 :  14:06:59  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a valid point point Sage

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2010 :  02:12:25  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I'd still like to continue on with the Maztica setting as if the Spellplague never occured. It is difficult to do so because of the lack of new material, but I'm trying.

I am not a big fan of what 4e has done to the Realms, but I'm dealing in my own way. I know I'm most likely a rarity out there, but Maztica itself was my favorite setting. I have always had a thing for Mayan/Aztec mythology.

I am sending out a plea to the community to start creating our own material for Maztica. I started a yahoo group where we can share our adventures, monsters, links, etc. Already, I have written a few adventures that I would gladly trade for some kind words. You can get it all here.

Group home page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MazticaAlive

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 24 Aug 2010 01:32:26
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2010 :  03:03:58  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel the premise of Maztica is the worst execution of a Meso-American style setting possible. I care little for its discontinuation, but I feel for the fans as I've experienced similar company decisions for aspects of the setting I do like.

If anything has held true, it's that the settings are as much works of the fans as they are of the company and the designers. While I don't have anything to offer for this fan project in particular, I do support any fan-based lore for the defunct and ignored settings.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2010 :  12:03:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To most of the fans of the setting (even the 4e ones), Maztica is still there. The designers knew a lot of people had problems with its derivativness, so rather then 'fix it' they felt it was simpler just to get rid of it.

...and replace it with a slew of medieval-style kingdoms... now there's something non-derivative that FR really needed...
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

A young DeForest Kelley comes out, wearing his traditional blue-shirt uniform and carry the bulky Tri-corder. He takes the mystical wand and waves it over the thread's underlying topic.

"It's dead, Jim. It's like it was beaten to death by a million blows all over it's body."

I get it now!

Maztica was wearing a 'red shirt'!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Jul 2010 12:08:57
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2010 :  11:59:59  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOtC should release an Abeir Campaign Setting which holds the places of Abeir that didn't return to the realms as well as the places that used to be in the realms and made it to Abeir (would Maztica, in that world, then be called Returned Toril?????)

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  03:18:06  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

WOtC should release an Abeir Campaign Setting which holds the places of Abeir that didn't return to the realms as well as the places that used to be in the realms and made it to Abeir (would Maztica, in that world, then be called Returned Toril?????)

Now your talking! I'd love to take a trip to Abeir with my group considering they moved two of my favorite Realms regions there (Mulhorand/Unther and Maztica).

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  03:25:51  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad news for you Seethyr...I'm pretty sure they just killed anyone having to do with Mulhorand and Unther...I don't think it moved anywhere.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  05:10:23  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Sad news for you Seethyr...I'm pretty sure they just killed anyone having to do with Mulhorand and Unther...I don't think it moved anywhere.

This makes me sad. I really loved those realms.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000