Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Pass Times in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2010 :  00:33:14  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know that dwarves roll bones. =)But whats the closet thing to poker in the realms? And things of that ilk, I know chess was Azoun Iv's favorite game and the war wizards enjoy it as well.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2010 :  01:09:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Poker was referenced in Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue. And there's a form of 'elven poker' too, called "creyala."

Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue also has some details on a few of the games played in the Realms. And Ed's shared a couple with us through his replies -- especially '04.

Here's a brief listing compiled by Faraer:-

"Here's the list (which doesn't have the Aurora's ones) that I've posted before:

Card games: Archers, Chase the Dragon*, High Dragon, Old Wizard, Smashcastle, Strikedragon/Battles, Swords, Swords and Shields, talis card games

Dice games: thabort, Traitors’ Heads, Wheel-of-Spells*

Board games: chess and variants (lanceboard), chethlachance, fiveknights, lancers and lions, shirestone

Other games: jacks, shove-skittles, tag, Toss the Dagger

* might be mixed up as to which is card, which dice"

"Elemental Empires," is what Giogio and his buddies are playing in The Wyvern's Spur, as I recall.

The DRAGON #320 June '04 issue details the games:- 'Over the Hurdles', 'Hardriders', and 'Throwknife' in the "Roaring Dragon House" article. [It's also the article that describes "Zzar wrestling." Despite my best efforts however, I never been able to persuade the Lady K to try it. ]

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2010 :  01:24:55  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you kindly.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2010 :  02:42:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a simple dice game called thabort, described in the 2E FRCS.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2010 :  03:50:09  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you forgot 3 dragon ante which was played in stardeep

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2010 :  05:32:35  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoy Sava but don't see purple dragons playing it. So I figured as a poker man I'd see if the realms had a version of it.
Go to Top of Page

IlexGarodan
Acolyte

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2010 :  18:05:41  Show Profile  Visit IlexGarodan's Homepage Send IlexGarodan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a bit of an in-joke, some characters in my campaign have played Dragon Chess (written by a certain Xagyg Yragerne ) and have played a tabletop wargame called Chain-Mail. Both games were published by RST, a small game company situated somewhere in Waterdeep.

Edited by - IlexGarodan on 19 Jan 2010 18:08:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2010 :  23:54:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stout Heart

I enjoy Sava but don't see purple dragons playing it. So I figured as a poker man I'd see if the realms had a version of it.

I wasn't keen on the way the sava rules were written. It was a one-time chance to basically sacrifice one of your opponent's pieces, but it required forfeiting a turn and rolling snake eyes in a single throw of 2d6 -- to me, that's way too miniscule a chance to make it worthwhile (assuming that the dice are standard d6s, there's only a 1 in 36 chance of it working!). Unless you're losing badly, there's no reason to take that chance.

Not only that, but considering the drow love of chaos, I'm surprised the dice aren't used more often than once per game per player.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Jan 2010 23:55:25
Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2010 :  01:20:11  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But that's the nature of the drow.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2010 :  02:36:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stout Heart

But that's the nature of the drow.

You think it's the nature of drow to toss away a definite move -- which could put them in a better position -- for a 2.8% chance at one of their opponent's pieces? Those odds are simply too small for anyone but those who are desparate or who simply don't care. Drow do take calculated risks, but they also do their best to skew the odds into their favor, first.

Giving them more opportunities to roll for that chance would be more in-line with the way drow work.

Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2010 :  04:02:11  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your thinking from the attackers point of view. I'm thinking about the nature of the drow in general lol. Quick tempered and a burning desire for revenge, much like my self. You could be the weapons master of my house and the only thing that stands between us and victory I'm still gonna stab you in your spine in the heart of a battle if it's my only chance to get away with the murder. My house be damned I'll figure the rest out after. Most of the time yes it's calculated risk most of the time. But some times it's good old fashion hate or arrogance or a mix of both. Hell the risk is reason enough. I'm so sure of my skill why not roll even if I fail I'm still going to win and if I lose I kill your matron mother at the least your weapons master.
Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2010 :  14:51:56  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
not registering my last post for some reason.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000