Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 weapons
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2002 :  17:41:24  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can someone please explain why a scimitar in the Realms used to be wide, flat, curved and broad with a sharp edge on one side and a sharp point sticking out horizontally on the other...and now is just a curved, thin blade with only one striking edge?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2002 :  17:44:49  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and has anyone found a use in their gaming for those huge, double-sided chains that orcs use?

On top of which, a question on feats...

If a fighter has two attacks naturally, then takes the Two-Weapon fighting feat for a third, and then the IMPROVED TWF Feat, does he then have four attacks per round?

Questions, questions....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Ghost
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2002 :  18:19:27  Show Profile  Visit Ghost's Homepage Send Ghost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ArionElenim

Can someone please explain why a scimitar in the Realms used to be wide, flat, curved and broad with a sharp edge on one side and a sharp point sticking out horizontally on the other...and now is just a curved, thin blade with only one striking edge?

I'm not familiar with how the scimitar was originally represented in the Realms, but from your statement, I gather it looked something like the 3rd ed falchion.

Essentially, BOTH are scimitars. A scimitar is described as a sword with a curved blade and a single edge on the outside of the curve (contrary to a Kukri). So you could make your scimitar appear like a medium version of the falchion.

The sharp point is not used for fighting (and probably not sharp, either). Also, a scimitar is basically a horsemen's weapon, just like a cavalry sabre.

quote:
Originally posted by ArionElenim
If a fighter has two attacks naturally, then takes the Two-Weapon fighting feat for a third, and then the IMPROVED TWF Feat, does he then have four attacks per round?

Any normal humanoid fighter can have two (natural) attacks. The 2-weapon fighting feat just reduces the penalties (so no extra attack). Improved 2-weapon fighting hase a requirement of a base ttack bonus of +9, so that character would already get 2 attacks with his primary weapon. And with this feat, he can make a second attack with his secondary weapon also.

The way of a superior man are three-fold;
virtuous, he is free from anxieties;
wise, he is free from perplexities;
bold, he is free from fear. ~ Confucius
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  02:22:59  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a scimitar can have any form since it's just a sword and like the classic long sword in the 3rd edition which includes large sword and a lot of other swords existing in the 2nd edition, scimitar is just a generic name for a kind of sword.

Actually, it's just a simplification. I like.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  02:46:19  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all...

Anything about the chains, though?

Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  08:09:21  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question,
How come even if you have the strength, you can't wield 2 two-handed swords, it says in the books that they are to unbalanced, and awkward to wield two, I would think the awkwardness would go away if the person was strong enough, plus imagine how bad-ass you would be fighting with 2 two-handed swords!
Another question if I may, In 2nd ED. it says when you reach grand mastery you gain +3 to hit, +3 to dmg, 3 atks per rd., and dmg goes up one full die, so if the nodatchie(probly spelled wrong) does 1d20/1d20, then when you reached grand mastery the dmg would be 1d100/1d100! is that right? now imagine wielding 2 of those at grand mastery level! now that would be sweet!
The Great Drizzt

"Don't poke Drizzt, 'tis highly unsociable!" Drizzt Do'Urden -BG1
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  08:19:39  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What you are trying sounds like too much munchkinism and very far removed from roleplaying to me.

On your question on wielding 2 two-handed swords. The name says it already. A two-handed sword. Any medium creature needs two hands to wield 1 two-handed sword. No matter what strength the character has. And wielding a sword is not only a question of strength.

I don't know the oriental-type weapon you're referring to of the top of my head, but if it has a die of 1d20 for damage, it is most likely a a two handed weapon. The same argument as above would apply. From a roleplaying point of view... how many grand masters of that weapon would there be in a world? in other words, how would a character ever hope to achieve that level of competency with the weapon.
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  08:44:17  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
.....ok I'll start over.
If youre big enough, and strong enough, then why cant you weild two?
say like a giant or something big and strong, 2 two-handed swords, would be the equivelent of 2 long swords, see my logic now?
and i'm sure theres at least one person thats grand master in the nodatchi, so if they are a grand master the die goes from 1d20 to 1d100 because its the next die up, and I was just saying it would be cool to be a grandmaster with it and wield two, ok?
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Mask
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  09:10:22  Show Profile  Visit Mask's Homepage Send Mask a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the next die would be a d30. It's not that common, but it does excist. I've seen it in a store once. I didn't buy it though.

Nothing is impossible!
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  09:28:55  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Drizzt
[brIf youre big enough, and strong enough, then why cant you weild two? say like a giant or something big and strong, 2 two-handed swords, would be the equivelent of 2 long swords, see my logic now?

Yes, a creature of sufficient size would be able to wield 2 two-handed swords simultaneously. The rules in the 3e PHB and DMG are pretty clear in describing this

quote:
and i'm sure theres at least one person thats grand master in the nodatchi, so if they are a grand master the die goes from 1d20 to 1d100 because its the next die up, and I was just saying it would be cool to be a grandmaster with it and wield two, ok?
The Great Drizzt

Like Mask said, that might be a d30. To me as a DM this would only be a hypothetical question. Any player of mine would have to come up with a very good role-playing reason to want to be able to inflict that much of damage.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  17:19:48  Show Profile  Visit Ghost's Homepage Send Ghost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arion, what do you mean with the "huge, double-sided chain"? If you mean the one in the PHB, it's not huge. You can use it to constrict (similar to a bola), to bludgeon (similar to a morningstar), or to slash your opponent.

The way of a superior man are three-fold;
virtuous, he is free from anxieties;
wise, he is free from perplexities;
bold, he is free from fear. ~ Confucius
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  04:01:09  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt, you should only use his scimitars. I guess you are like me, i really don't like the double-sided chain which is too difficult to handle, doesn't inflict a lot of damage and just makes you looking stupid.

Nevertheless, i use to propose for my players a double scimitar, and some other exotic weapons, like the hell bolas, which was a kind of morning star-bola especially created for a semi-minotaur, added to the classic ones.

Any other idea?
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  09:19:22  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's more to a weapon then damage alone. If that were the case why would anyone use a dagger for instance...

Each weapon is either an evolution (and often improved upon a previous weapon of similar type), or it has been designed for some specific use.

In the case of the chain, it allows a wielder to do more then just damage an opponent. What if one wants to capture opponents instead of killing them? The chain, in that case, can be used to disarm or trip the opponent effectively.
Go to Top of Page

Ditalidas
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
127 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  09:47:49  Show Profile  Visit Ditalidas's Homepage Send Ditalidas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree on that.

I'm especially fond of daggers. You can hide them in a lot of places and sneak them in where weapons are not allowed. On top of that... if the opponent is too far away to stab... you can throw them... most convenient

'All that is' is also 'All that is not' for the one cannot exist without the other.

Sweet Water and Light Laughter

Edited by - Ditalidas on 09 Oct 2002 10:05:11
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  04:39:38  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a stupid question that I think I'm the only one who doesn't know the answer to, but here it is. If a weapon does 2d4 damage, for example, how do you calulate what the number of hit point damage it does? Does that mean that you roll 2 four-sided dice and add the numbers together?
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  08:08:52  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uhhhh.....yeah....do you even play AD&D?(not trying to sound like an asshole or anything) and No, I shouldnt use Drizzt's Scimitars, those are his, not mine, and plus, I think scimitars are lame, and they're too hard to find(magical ones) I like two handed swords mostly.
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  07:53:53  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drummerboy465

I have a stupid question that I think I'm the only one who doesn't know the answer to, but here it is. If a weapon does 2d4 damage, for example, how do you calulate what the number of hit point damage it does? Does that mean that you roll 2 four-sided dice and add the numbers together?

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

In answer to your question, the number in after the 'd ' represents the type of die, the number in front of the 'd' the number of dice of that type to roll (or the number of times to roll a single die of the type)
To get the end result, add the numbers rolled on each die.
In other words, your last sentence is correct.
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  07:55:47  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Couldna said it better myself.
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  04:10:54  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mumadar
Go to Top of Page

Darwin Tenderfoot
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  04:43:56  Show Profile  Visit Darwin Tenderfoot's Homepage Send Darwin Tenderfoot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me personally I think the blowgun is a good weapon use it with all my characters. You can put any kind of poison on them that you want. I use Daggers a lot too. Ditalidas I agree with you full heartedly.This is especially true with thieves. How would you sneak into a place with a big ol' two-handed sword.

Darwin
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  08:02:04  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you ask me, if your using a two-handed sword, what the hell are you doing "sneaking" around in the first place, only gnomes, halflings and thieves sneak around, so of course your not gonna like a two-handed sword, your halfing guy probably cant even hold it anyways!
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Darwin Tenderfoot
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  14:22:47  Show Profile  Visit Darwin Tenderfoot's Homepage Send Darwin Tenderfoot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Drizzt

your halfing guy probably cant even hold it anyways!
The Great Drizzt

Let me clue you in buddy I can to carry it since I have a 17 strength. The two-handed sword is not a very good weapon IMO , it's to slow. "But hey, who am I just a lowly Halfling".

Darwin
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  03:17:25  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also fond of daggers. they are the most functional weapons you can find. even if it's just to cut a peace of meat on a strange beast you have just killed.
But when i'm in a real fight, i like to have my rapier with me. Just in case of dagues would'nt be enough...

with some poison?

Who said i'm a coward? When you have 6 in constitution, you avoid fights. That's it.
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  07:49:18  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah you can carry it, but you can't weild it, its twice the size for you, it's way to awkward for ya, sure its slow, but look at the DMG!

Hows about some special "Drow Poison" to go on those daggers? Just a thought....
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Darwin Tenderfoot
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  18:19:29  Show Profile  Visit Darwin Tenderfoot's Homepage Send Darwin Tenderfoot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never thought about using Drow poison to tell you the truth. But I should look into that. Oh, and about the sword I was just joking so dont take offense to it or anything The Great Drizzt. I have been thinking about weapons what about those Drow Hand crossbows. Those are pretty nifty with anyone. (especially with Drow poison.

Darwin
Go to Top of Page

Rory_Lana
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  18:24:43  Show Profile  Visit Rory_Lana's Homepage Send Rory_Lana a Private Message  Reply with Quote

First off from what I have read...you all make really good points. But I must second the fact that if a sword is two handed, no matter how strong you are it's still two handed.

Arion, I think the change of the scimitars is nice. It's not just a pirites choice weapon now. I happen to perfer the lastest model of scimitars to the 2ed. I know that doesn't answer your question, I just thought I would acknowlegde it. I also thought you would like to know my opinion.

To address you second question, I've never used one before. The large chain for orcs, seem to be way more bad barbarin if you ask me. I think that it would make a great choice for a villian in a campaign or a very chaotic character, since it looks to be a chaotic weapon. Is it successful...well that's up to the dice.

~Tel'Lindar en Mela~
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  20:12:58  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say that my favorite weapons are daggers. If an enemy's close by, you can stab with it, or, for long range, you can just throw it from a distance.
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  07:25:43  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No offense taken.
Daggers are pretty cool, you guys ever read about Jarlaxle in action with his daggers? Drizzt might actually lose that battle!(hope not)
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  08:40:13  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rory_Lana

First off from what I have read...you all make really good points. But I must second the fact that if a sword is two handed, no matter how strong you are it's still two handed.

<snip>

Hmmm... a little nit-picking here. Rory, you're right about strength not being the determining factor (in 3e). Creature size vs weapon size is. A two-handed sword (e.g. the greatsword in 3e) is a large weapon. A human is a medium sized creature, therefore the large weapon requires two hands to wield. A large creature (e.g. an Ogre) could wield it in one hand.
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  05:13:44  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'll just have to be an Ogre sized Drow then won't I?
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  15:15:11  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, better go get eatin'.........whatever drow eat.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000