Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Questions for the Answerer
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  21:40:35  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well, I searched a topic to make any questions for you all.. But I did find only to a single question.

So, on this topic I will, with time, put all of my doubts to someone that could answer it. Some of them I thought about asking Ed or THO, but i know they are too busy to answer some futile ones.

My first one:

Anyone knows why Abeir-Toril has 4 seasons and 12 months like planet earth?

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  22:00:39  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because it's orbit and axis/tilt is similar to Earth's.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  22:24:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And because that's the easiest way of handling the math.

Four seasons is pretty much going to be a universal thing, I think. And though Toril's months are a bit different, with them all being 30 days long, it's still close enough for players to relate to.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  22:28:05  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think the designers while wanting to create a totally alien fantasy world on one hand still wanted to keep it familiar enough not to put people off.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  22:38:17  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its probably also got to do with the Forgotten Realms originally having close ties to Earth, so similarities would be expected.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  00:53:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed has said, in the past, that Toril's axis tilt and rotation is similar to that of Earth's. So aspects like time zone delineations and seasonal patterns in the Realms should be relatively similar.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  08:22:54  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only difference are the ten days a week consists of instead of seven days.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  09:45:33  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The bigger difference is in weeks/tendays
A month in faerun has 3 tendays instead of 4 weeks

Does that means bigger weekends? yay!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  11:47:01  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marquant Volker

The bigger difference is in weeks/tendays
A month in faerun has 3 tendays instead of 4 weeks

Does that means bigger weekends? yay!

No it just means one less weekend. Less free time for everyone; dragons and Zentharim has that effect one ones lives.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  11:47:10  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This makes me think that our world should adopt the 30 day per month system of the realms....except when I start thinking about weekends....

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  11:49:55  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, you'd get 3 day weekends.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  13:20:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

Well, that and the fact that major holidays fall outside of months.

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  13:47:49  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that and the fact that major holidays fall outside of months.

LoL. Well remembered wooly.. ;)

I didn't know that toril has an orbit around the sun like earth. Thanks for the explanation..
Let's go for my second question:

The "moon" is also called Seluné... But its still "moon".. The same thing as the "sun". But "sun" and "moon" its only a representative name (on our imaginary world called Earth ) to a star and a satellite (that's how we write it?).
Now, regarding this comment that may answer my would be question...
quote:

i think the designers while wanting to create a totally alien fantasy world on one hand still wanted to keep it familiar enough not to put people off.

Don't you think this is a bit "simplist" way of making the world?

Let's make another one...
Who created the universe? (all the cosmology)
Is it Ao?

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  14:27:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not quite sure what you're asking with respect to your second question.

As for that last bit... Ao created the entirety of Realmspace.

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  14:54:35  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My "second question" is about the way they put some "earth things" on the world.. Do you think its necessary?

And the other one about Ao.. This 'character' is an Ed's creation, isnt it? Anyone knows if he(it) exist on PlaneScape setting? Where could I find more information about Ao? How he has been created?

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  14:57:55  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for 'earth things' in the Realms, it's been long established that Faerűn is covered with portals, many leading to different worlds and dimensions. And there are quite a few that connect to Earth.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  15:09:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

My "second question" is about the way they put some "earth things" on the world.. Do you think its necessary?
Well, yes. Because, as Ed has said:- ""This, by the way, is where the “Forgotten” part of “Forgotten Realms” came from: we people of real-world Earth have ‘forgotten’ the once-widely-used gates to Toril, which gave us our legends of vampires, dragons, et al."

So some aspects of Earth-culture have obviously influenced the Realms in certain ways over the centuries. Ed talks more about this in previous replies. See the "So Saith Ed" archives.
quote:
And the other one about Ao.. This 'character' is an Ed's creation, isnt it? Anyone knows if he(it) exist on PlaneScape setting? Where could I find more information about Ao? How he has been created?
Ao was not something Ed created. TSR come up with the concept of Ao and he was brought into the setting during the Time of Troubles -- through the 1e to 2e change over. As it stands, Ed has no idea on where TSR came up with the concept of Ao.

The only particular info on Ao exists in the 2e Faiths & Avatars tome. And even that is deliberately vague, as Ao should remain, mostly, as the "great unknown."

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  15:26:07  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But Toril isn't orbitating the same sun, right? Or its just another "plane" that we couldn't see? (cause the temperature and everything else is the same)

And thanks for the informations about Ao!

Sorry about this futile questions... After reading Ed posts of how he created the world, I'm starting to make mine... It will be a LOOOONG road, I'll just play on it after, at least, 15 creating months.

I have already "walked" through a part of the realm, and now I'm starting to think about the cosmology...

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  16:39:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But Toril isn't orbitating the same sun, right? Or its just another "plane" that we couldn't see? (cause the temperature and everything else is the same)
Toril is orbiting it's own sun. The 2e Realmspace supplement for the SPELLJAMMER campaign setting, reveals a little info about the main star itself.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  16:54:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And thanks for the informations about Ao!

Sorry about this futile questions... After reading Ed posts of how he created the world, I'm starting to make mine... It will be a LOOOONG road, I'll just play on it after, at least, 15 creating months.

I have already "walked" through a part of the realm, and now I'm starting to think about the cosmology...

Toril is a part of its own solar system.

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  17:26:07  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok... I'll check Realmspace...

Let's go to my other one...
Anyone has a hint of who is THO character? (I'm curious)

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  17:59:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thinks this question shouldn't be answered. She said, years ago, that she didn't want it made public.

So, new question!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  18:59:46  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But many people knows!!! Why shouldnt I know it too? .. Ok.. I'll be patient..

Next question!
Who's the creator of this site? And anyone has an idea of why this is still the most important forum of The Realms?
I will always be grateful for your work...

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  19:04:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Next question!
Who's the creator of this site? And anyone has an idea of why this is still the most important forum of The Realms?

Big Al (officially known as Alaundo).

And many on the WotC forums would argue that they have the most important forum of the Realms. I don't know that I'd say this one is the most important, but I'd definitely say that our posters are of a higher quality than those found just about anywhere else. Especially me.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Apr 2009 19:08:36
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  19:23:51  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good answer Wooly...

Next one:
Where could i find informations about Halaster?

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  19:56:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first Ruins of Undermountain boxed set.

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  20:04:01  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want more! Much more! Mua-ha-ha-ha! (evil laugh)

If there isn't other books which I could read, anyone has additional information?
Once, I read that if he leaves undermountain, he gets "sane" again... Why?

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  20:58:24  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might have been the whole madness of the place kept him insane. However I do believe that more recently he left or was taken away from Undermountain and the madness(basically all the bad stuff) from Undermountain followed him out.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  22:00:21  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want to read a book that includes Halaster as a (sorta main) character, I would suggest reading Elminster in Hell. And though you do not necessarily need to read the Elminster series in order, I think I shall mention that it is the fourth in that series. Finally, (though a know at least a few of the scribes here did not enjoy this series), the events leading up to Elminster being in Hell are included in the first novel of the Return of the Archwizards trilogy (I think; Scribes, feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 14 Apr 2009 22:02:59
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  00:07:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Lady Hooded One herself has told us that he is one of Ed’s players who plays one of the Knights of Myth Drannor. But we don't know which Knight, as this isn't something she wants to talk about. So we respect that privacy.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  00:11:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Next question!

That would be Alaundo. If you wish to contact him with queries about the site itself, see his profile here:- http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=8

As for why Candlekeep *could* be considered the "most important forum of the Realms"... Well, you need only look to the fact that we benefit from having the interaction of many FR designers and authors, along with a multitude of friendly and thoughtful scribes.

There isn't any other place like this on the web!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000