Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Gods II
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2002 :  17:39:09  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
C'mon folks.....who is your favorite god? Why?

I personally favor Cyric and Larethian...two VERY intriguing deities...I really enjoy how classy and vicious the two of them are...despite their conflicting ends...

The more passionate the god, the more fun they are to see in a campain....IMHO.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2002 :  18:37:14  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me it depends on the character I'd be playing. Most likely one of the Lawful Good deities, or a deity that has paladins as worshippers.

I would be hard-pressed to name one of them as a favorite. I just like the entire variety of deities that are available in the Realms. Allowing for lots of roleplaying opportunities.

(ps. I hope this thread does not degenerate in a My-god-is-better-then-your-god type of discussion. Let's please refrain from that.)
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  02:12:27  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, i really like crazy gods, not to powerful, having a little domain but loving it. Like LLiira, Elistrae...
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  02:51:07  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Llira too...

Kinda sick of Bane, though....I think that there are only so many times the lord of Strife can try to take over the Realms....

That is why I like Cyric....his chaos is more realistic....Helm is interesting too...despite what folks say of him....

Thoughts?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  04:09:05  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric on the Evil side and Tyr on the Good side...for me. endulges both sides of my spectrum.

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Go to Top of Page

Mask
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  09:29:48  Show Profile  Visit Mask's Homepage Send Mask a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bane and Mask are my favourite gods. Bane is just cool. I like Mask because of his personality. Always scheming and planning to try and take over other gods portfolios. Shame his plans always fail.

They made Bane return only by popular demand.

Nothing is impossible!
Go to Top of Page

Ditalidas
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
127 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  11:48:11  Show Profile  Visit Ditalidas's Homepage Send Ditalidas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite is Selune. Mainly because I have a thing with Lycanthropy, the moon and the stars.

'All that is' is also 'All that is not' for the one cannot exist without the other.

Sweet Water and Light Laughter
Go to Top of Page

Ghost
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  17:49:01  Show Profile  Visit Ghost's Homepage Send Ghost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did I mention Mieliki already?

The way of a superior man are three-fold;
virtuous, he is free from anxieties;
wise, he is free from perplexities;
bold, he is free from fear. ~ Confucius
Go to Top of Page

Ditalidas
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
127 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  17:56:40  Show Profile  Visit Ditalidas's Homepage Send Ditalidas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I know
Why Mieliki?

'All that is' is also 'All that is not' for the one cannot exist without the other.

Go to Top of Page

Ghost
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  18:02:47  Show Profile  Visit Ghost's Homepage Send Ghost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mentioned her in the first God-thread. I like to walk about the countryside, and she's a good compagnion (spiritually speaking). The Silver Marches also whetted my appetite to play a Uthgard Barbarian...

The way of a superior man are three-fold;
virtuous, he is free from anxieties;
wise, he is free from perplexities;
bold, he is free from fear. ~ Confucius
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  03:39:37  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah... why not Mieliki or Selune... I also like Shar, i mean, like she is described in the 3rd edition. She just looks great.

About Mask and Cyric? Mask ok, he is the most unlucky god in the Realms but i like him. Cyric is just suck. For me of course.

Mistra is also cool, but too powerful for my liking...
Go to Top of Page

Shades
Acolyte

Georgia
39 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  16:33:20  Show Profile  Visit Shades's Homepage Send Shades a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't know if he's still around but I always liked Azuth. Don't know why though I just do.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  16:38:45  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The lord of mages is still around. Nothing about him changed much in the transition to 3e. Azuth still reports to Mystra and supervises Velsharoon and Savras. His portfolio is arcane spellcasters.
Go to Top of Page

BoneHead
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2002 :  04:34:23  Show Profile  Visit BoneHead's Homepage Send BoneHead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is not so much Bane that i like as it is his way of organizing his minions.

Currently he is no longer god of strife, that portfolio belongs to Cyric but was given to Bane in the 3e FRCS, the eratta fixes that.

Now he has fear instead, a portfolio that goes nicely with tyranny and hatred.

Bane and his minions are the nazi's of FR, great villians that players love to hate and who are usually easily found due to their militarized hierarchy and their armor and flag waving and such.

Banites are the best villians, they are the nazi's to the players indiana jones' when they are looking for that lost ark.

Black armored knights and armys conquering for their master, those are the Banites.

Bane himself has been portrayed poorly, but you gotta remember he was under a great deal of stress when they made him out to be foolish during the time of troubles.

He was also god of strife at the time, a portfolio that doesnt go all that well with Tyranny since even the strife among your own ranks pleases you.

In one of the shadow of the avatar books it mentions how Bane plotted the fall of the gods to get rid of mystra.

Pretty cool, though it didnt turn out so well for him.

I think a lot of people give Bane a bum rap.

Cyric was my absolute favorite befoire he went mad and then sane again, now im leaning toward Velsharoon, its almost halloween you know, or as we say in the realms, almost the feast of the dead.

spooky huh?
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2002 :  22:08:08  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, very true...but....

Bane is kind of stereotypical....the bad guy among bad guys. He is monolithically evil, knows he is evil and hates good.

I think other gods (namely Cyric) are a bit more intriguing because they do not believe they are evil...they believe that their way is the right way...what is more, a cleric of Cyric is not necessarily like Cyric himself...Baneites are usually big, tough, evil folk.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule...what I DO like about Bane is that he welcomes Lawful Neutral folk into his clergy...this bespeaks a great deal of foresight on the God's part and makes things MUCH more interesting....in other words, he is not simply the FR version of Satan.

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2002 :  22:12:59  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...Which brings me to another point....

Is there a deity in the Realms that you think typifies Earthly deific personages?

In other words, if there WERE to be such a comparison...who IS the Realms version of Satan? Is it Cyric or Bane? Or Jesus for that matter? Would that be Ilmater? What of the Wiccan Goddess? Chauntea? Is there a Buddha in Faerun's pantheon...?

And BTW, folks...please keep in mind that while this IS a free-speech forum, let's not let this question get us into an Earthly religious debate....Realms-related stuff only......

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2002 :  15:16:49  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several of the Faerunian deities are based on deities from our world. Ed Greenwood used the Icelandic/Nordic pantheon in particular. Examples are and Tyr and Mielikki. The Mulhorandi pantheon draws heavily on Egyptian mythology.

Faerun/Toril doesn't have a monotheistic culture. That makes it difficult to use Jesus, Mohammed and Satan analogues for the Realms. There is no one heaven and one hell. Religion in Faerun is probably best compared to how the romans dealt with their gods. They were extremely polytheistic, just absorbing religions from conquered or neighboring states into their pantheon.

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 11 Oct 2002 15:21:32
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2002 :  15:46:12  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked Finder, but haven't seen or
heard much from him lately.
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2002 :  23:01:58  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There have been a couple of novels with Finder in them, along with several other gods (including the god of Illithids.) One was called Finder's Bane, I forget the name of the other one.

In terms of personality and dogma (not their role within the Faurunian pantheon) I think Ilmater would be Jesus and Gargauth would be Satan. I can't think of an equivalent to Mohammud.
Go to Top of Page

Ditalidas
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
127 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  11:29:21  Show Profile  Visit Ditalidas's Homepage Send Ditalidas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That wall in Kelemvor's realm build up from the faitless or the false (I'm nut sure anymore which of the two it was. Mumadar seems to think the flase, but Lowtech thinks the faitless)seems pretty much as hell to me.

But I think this is a little off topic. Would we like to discuss this further I suggest a new thread.

Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  07:46:15  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aaaahhhhhhh........ Who is this imposter "Drizzt"!? he has my name and my portrait!!! get your own identity psyco, you cant just go around taking peoples identities dude, thats just wrong!!!!
The REAL Great Drizzt

"Don't poke Drizzt, 'tis highly unsociable!" Drizzt Do'Urden -BG1
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  08:30:18  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So why do you use someone else's identity? Eventhough he is a fictional character. You don't own the copyright on Drizzt, and neither does anyone else on this forum afaik.

Please be civil and don't call names. It ruines part of the fun for everyone on the forum.
Go to Top of Page

Frey
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  11:20:02  Show Profile  Visit Frey's Homepage Send Frey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Please be civil and don't call names. It ruines part of the fun for everyone on the forum.

I agree with Mumadar about acting civilised and all that.

Then again it is not nice (and 'not done') to use someone elses nick posting on a forum.
How would you feel when someone would post as Mumadar, with the same picture you use??

- Imagine ... there's no imagination. -

(remember Frey is just a PC)

Edited by - Frey on 14 Oct 2002 11:20:56
Go to Top of Page

Ditalidas
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
127 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  12:02:53  Show Profile  Visit Ditalidas's Homepage Send Ditalidas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Drizzt and The Great Drizzt are enough apart to allow both. I agree with Mumadar that no one has the copy right on the names of famous FR characters. Maybe it would have been a little more considering of Drizzt if he had checked if a name close to his already existed and had chosen another nik, but he apparently did not.

I also agree that it should be possible to stay polite. There are ways to solve differences in an adult matter. (though adult often screw it up too, you know what I mean)
Further I want to point out that the topic is Favorite gods and this has nothing to do with it.

Edited by - Ditalidas on 14 Oct 2002 12:33:33
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  04:05:51  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ditalidas

That wall in Kelemvor's realm build up from the faitless or the false (I'm nut sure anymore which of the two it was. Mumadar seems to think the flase, but Lowtech thinks the faitless)seems pretty much as hell to me.

But I think this is a little off topic. Would we like to discuss this further I suggest a new thread.

If memory serves me, I think its the Wall of the Faithless, but I'm not sure. I'd have to check my copy of Waterdeep, the third book in the Avatar Trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Darwin Tenderfoot
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  04:57:11  Show Profile  Visit Darwin Tenderfoot's Homepage Send Darwin Tenderfoot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Getting back to the subject, My favorite god of the Human pantheon is Torm. In the Elven Pantheon it would be Corellen Larethian. In the Halfling Pantheon it would be Brandaboris. I dont know why everyone is just talking about Human gods there are other races you know. Its like no one recognizes the other gods!!!

Darwin
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  08:37:58  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, then I cant use any names for a Drow then, because there all copyrighted, you cant just make up a name for a drow, they use only a select number of names, and they try to keep that a drow tradition, as so the Drow of the Underdark Hand Book says, so then Either way I'm screwed then, the bottom line is, he needs to get his own name, PERIOD! End of Discussion.
Ok, back to the topic, how many non-Humanoid gods are there, like the gods of the jellies, and oozes, and the gods of orcs and stuff, how many of those gods are there? 2nd Edition only.
The Great Drizzt

"Don't poke Drizzt, 'tis highly unsociable!" Drizzt Do'Urden -BG1
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  10:14:59  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Drizzt

<snip>
Ok, back to the topic, how many non-Humanoid gods are there, like the gods of the jellies, and oozes, and the gods of orcs and stuff, how many of those gods are there? 2nd Edition only.
The Great Drizzt

Your best source would be Monster Mythology, a 2e book describing the various deities of the monster races. Most of these are humanoid, but iirc, Jubilex is also mentioned (lord of limes and oozes) and there should be a couple of others.
Go to Top of Page

Darwin Tenderfoot
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  14:11:31  Show Profile  Visit Darwin Tenderfoot's Homepage Send Darwin Tenderfoot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In monster mythology their is also gods for Beholders and Liches. Just to add on to Mumadar Ibn Huzal's post.

Darwin
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  19:19:30  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No folks....HERE is the end of the discussion...

I simply will NOT allow another question to get flushed away because some of you choose to enter my forums and complain at one another...

This is NOT a forum about who is better, elves or dwarves. It is NOT a forum about copyrights and it is CERTAINLY not a forum about who is more worthy of using a name that wasn't even created by EITHER of you...

Unless your name is RA Salvatore, you do NOT have a claim of ANY kind to Drizzt Do'Urden's name....what is more, using ANY name here in the forum is an AVATAR...meaning something which REPRESENTS you....use whatever name you feel like, but do NOT clutter up anymore of my forums with remarks that do NOT apply to the question...I am sure you can find another one along the lines of whatever in the Nine Hells you two are arguing about...

I've already had one of my forums locked down...it WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN. Alaundo won't be forgiving and neither will I.

Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  05:16:28  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You tell 'em Arion!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000