Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Oppotunist Countering
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2009 :  13:37:59  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was just wondering if anyone have had any experience using this feat. Has it shown to be too powerful or weak?

and if so... have anyone allowed the feat Combat reflexes to be combined with this feat?

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2009 :  14:14:57  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-What feat is this? What book is it from, and what Edition? I have never heard of it.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2009 :  16:35:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not a feat, but a Rogue Special Ability. And it cannot be used with Combat Reflexes.

In my opinion, it isn't overpowerful, just an improvement over the Rogue's attack abilities.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2009 :  22:07:06  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Ok, so that settles it then.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2009 :  22:10:12  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it looks like this:

Opportunity Counterspell [Magical]
You can cast counterspells in lieu of making an opportunity attack.
Prerequisite
Quicken Spell, Spellcraft 9 ranks
Benefit
You get one free ready action each round that you can only use for counterspelling. If you use this ready action, you do not get any attacks of opportunity for the round, but your initiative does not change as it does from a normal ready action. Similarly you cannot use this feat if you have already had an attack of opportunity that round.
Special
You cannot use this feat to cast extra spells for effect; it only allows counterspelling of an opponent's spells.
Notes
Your casting of the counterspell may trigger an opportunity attack in the normal fashion.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  04:19:18  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only Spell feat that is close to that is the Epic Feat (Spell Opportunity) that allows you to cast a touch spell as an attack of opportunity. The prereqs are Combat Casting, Combat Reflexes, Quicken Spell, and Spellcraft 25 ranks.

Since yours is a Counterspell, I'd probably up the pre-reqs since using magic as an immediate action is VERY powerful (and a possible game-breaker). I'd add the Combat Casting and Combat Reflexes. Since you're just doing a counterspell, I'd adjust the Spellcraft to 12, maybe even 15 ranks. Remember, to counterspell normally, you have to delay your initiative to wait for the spell being cast, so by taking that out of the equation, and granting another action in the round, the feat could possible seriously break the balance of the game.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  05:07:36  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-What book is this feat from BTW?

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  16:54:47  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well initially my DM told me about this feat when we started playing our campaing 7 years ago... that it was no do. Because it gave you a the ability to cast a spell for free. Now that im lvl 22 and have 5 lvls of the prestige class called Arcane Avatar, which uses his force off will to cancel the flow of magic of another spell caster instead of casting a spell, as a counter action, I have brought it up again. Where he found it to begin with I dont remember niether does he. I have found it on the internet.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  17:04:57  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no way to adjudicate how a homebrew feat will affect your homebrew-enhanced character, unfortunately.

Also, I have big problems with any prestige class that 'breaks' the link between a caster and their source of magic, especially in the Realms. But I know that we don't agree on your character concept from previous discussions, so I'll let it go.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  17:21:55  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Just got a hold of my dm. The feat is from a mongoose publishing, called Ultative Feats.

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 09 Mar 2009 17:35:00
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  17:44:21  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh... That would be Ultimate Feats published in 2002 for 3.0 Edition, before the 3.5 conversion.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  17:59:16  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look at reactive counterspell instead, from Players Guide to Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  08:57:52  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I have looked up the reactive counterspell feat from Players guide, which is a nice feat but still not as effective as the other.

Ill just go with what fits my char best then!

thx for the replies!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000