Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Princesses of Hell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  17:34:38  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Not 100% FR related, but since I'd use them there first and foremost ...

The thread about the Rulers of Hell brought me back some of the lesser lords and ladies of that “plane“ and after reading the entry on Lilith, the 2nd consort of Baalzebub …

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20071212

… I wonder whether the designers and gamers on here may have an idea how to put more 3,5E flesh to the (sometimes quite powerful) consorts of the archdevils. I favour “lesser” fiend-lords in my game, deeming it not necessary to through the big guns in all the time and thus elevate the protagonists to an (IMHO) undue level of importance.

For the time being, I’d “only” look for the clerical domains of the following ladies, who are named but not otherwise defined in FC II*:

Lilis, consort of Dispater

Cozbi, former consort of Geryon, the ruler of the Fifth

Naome, (former?) consort of Belial

Baalphegor, consort of Mephistopheles

Baftis, 1st consort of Baalzebub

I would hand any them the Baator domain (FC II) and a selection of others, but any input would be welcome too.

Is there a rule-rendered reason why cultists of Lilith can only cast spells up to 5th level?

Thanks, Zanan!

*A Dragon article of Ed Greenwood puts more flesh on them during their early days in AD&D.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  17:59:37  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had never thought about these particular ladies before. I forget where they are talked about. Were they mentioned in the fiendish codex?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  19:56:04  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I had never thought about these particular ladies before. I forget where they are talked about. Were they mentioned in the fiendish codex?

As I said, Ed Greenwood wrote an Dragon article on them (and some others) in an early Dragon. They are mentioned in each Hell's entry in the FC, apart from those who have since been deposed or "got lost" in the books.

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  22:33:07  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
for Lilis I'd suggest between envy, inquisition, planning, darkness, knowledge, metal

Cosbi, don't know, cold? (cause of Stygia), dream (she's quiet, yet notices things, maybe this way), mentalism? (related to the memory draining effects of Styx)

Naome, purification? (the Pit of Flame in Phlegethos), planning, trickery (she's cunning), fire

Baalphegor, cold, charm, mind (she's artful in thought)

Baftis, pride, sloth

(other than that the usual law, evil, Baator, domination, tyranny, diabolic, and maybe nobility works for all)
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  00:48:13  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

As I said, Ed Greenwood wrote an Dragon article on them (and some others) in an early Dragon. They are mentioned in each Hell's entry in the FC, apart from those who have since been deposed or "got lost" in the books.

That would probably be his giant two-part article in Dragons #75 & 76, which extensively covered the 1st Edition Nine Hells.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  10:50:50  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the headstart, Quale.

Methinks it was Dragon 76, need to delve into my Dragon Archive CD collection (later).

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Edited by - Zanan on 05 Mar 2009 10:51:50
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  11:34:21  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need to get these Dragon articles hehe.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  14:25:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here I thought this was going to be a thread about my Ex and her friends...

I don't really have much to add, except that it never ceases to amaze me just how much of D&D Ed had a hand in , and not just FR. He probably has just as many credits as Gary Gygax does (not talking about actual 'published credits' here - Ed might even have more of those - I'm talking about stuff they both contributed to D&D as a whole).

Lilith has been used already somewhere? Damn! I'm going to have to take a look at that article and re-think some things...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Mar 2009 14:29:43
Go to Top of Page

Draezen
Acolyte

25 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  15:45:00  Show Profile  Visit Draezen's Homepage Send Draezen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Thanks for the headstart, Quale.

Methinks it was Dragon 76, need to delve into my Dragon Archive CD collection (later).

It was Dragon #75, #76, and #91 ;)

Realms 4e NPC Characters / Realms 4e Cosmology, Deities, & More

Participate in your own manipulation!
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2009 :  01:48:27  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ED did a wonderful job on this in Dragon mag I just cant remember the issue numbers.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2009 :  07:44:48  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not canon, of course, but the good people on Dicefreaks Forum, which can still be found here, once developed several hundreds pages' worth of PDF providing 3.5 details on some of the lords and ladies of the Nine Hells (in addition to creating some new ones). I never used the mechanics (still stuck in AD&D 2.5), but I liked a lot of the background.
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2009 :  11:19:35  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

It's not canon, of course, but the good people on Dicefreaks Forum, which can still be found here, once developed several hundreds pages' worth of PDF providing 3.5 details on some of the lords and ladies of the Nine Hells (in addition to creating some new ones). I never used the mechanics (still stuck in AD&D 2.5), but I liked a lot of the background.

I second that recommendation; Gates of Hell is one of the best product I've ever seen. Here's a more direct link: http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2009 :  14:50:11  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may be wrong, but I think that Lilis, the consort of Asmodeus, is dead, killed by Levistus (the very reason for his ice prison). That or Lilis is his new consort. I might find more info on her in Levistus or Glasya's entry of FCII.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000