Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Ascetic Binders
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wrigs13
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2009 :  21:19:52  Show Profile  Visit Wrigs13's Homepage Send Wrigs13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is it possible to rationalise an ascetic binder.

Ascetics by their nature are generally religious beings, a vow of povtery taken for beliefs in a greater plan.

However I believe, just as with monks, it is reasonable that ascetics can have a belief system without a direct link to a specific deity.

So under those circumstances it seems reasonable that a binder who dabbles with beings from beyond this plane of existance could become religious and hence ascetic.

However I would like to find a deity who is willing to be accept an ascetic binder into their fold. I am thinking of using Selune as the specific deity based on her generally accepting view of her followers. As long as they follow her tenets and preform good works then I think she would accept a binder.

It might require some reworking of the core concept of what vestiges are. If vestiges are actually powerful individuals that can still interact with mortals after they have died, but not necessarily evil or damned. They could be aspects created by or sponsered by a deity, such as Selune.

Reasonable?

Do not try to understand the 4th edition. Thats impossible. Instead...only try to realise the truth. There is no 4th edition.

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2009 :  23:31:23  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say that it would work fine as long as the vestige that was bound was not evil (I know that vestiges do not have alignments per se in the Tome of Magic, but in each description it details what each entity did during his/her/it's lifetime and some of the special requirements require you to perform an evil deed to summon the vestige).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wrigs13
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2009 :  10:13:13  Show Profile  Visit Wrigs13's Homepage Send Wrigs13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

I would say that it would work fine as long as the vestige that was bound was not evil (I know that vestiges do not have alignments per se in the Tome of Magic, but in each description it details what each entity did during his/her/it's lifetime and some of the special requirements require you to perform an evil deed to summon the vestige).

Good point,

If I changed the basis of the vestiges slightly and said that they were all 'good' on the basis that they are performing penance for previous sins. They can still be grumpy about it but I don't any of them require evil alignments, actions or cause evil influence on the binder. The gods could be giving them a chance to make good there mistakes by hoping from body to body in a quantum leap styley. The fact that some clearly aren't very good at being good is why thay have existed as vestiges for so long.

Those that are clearly good, not that I can think of one off the top of my head, are simply given permission to continue their good works. Sponsored by a deity if you like.

Is this an arguement that holds water?

Do not try to understand the 4th edition. Thats impossible. Instead...only try to realise the truth. There is no 4th edition.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2009 :  18:01:01  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems a little iffy to me. In the BoED it pretty much states that exalted characters are basically paragons of good, and that for them (as I read it) the "ends" do not justify the "means." And binding an evil entity to yourself would be an evil means, even if it was toward a good end. I do not have the time here at work, but I would make a list of all the vestiges and simply designate them as Good, Evil or Neutral. Then I would allow a player with the VoP to bind only Good and Neutral vestiges.

i.e.
Acererak - Evil
Agares - Good or Neutral
Amon - Evil
Andras - Neutral
Andromalius - Neutral
Aym - Evil

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wrigs13
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2009 :  20:29:19  Show Profile  Visit Wrigs13's Homepage Send Wrigs13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

It seems a little iffy to me. In the BoED it pretty much states that exalted characters are basically paragons of good, and that for them (as I read it) the "ends" do not justify the "means." And binding an evil entity to yourself would be an evil means, even if it was toward a good end. I do not have the time here at work, but I would make a list of all the vestiges and simply designate them as Good, Evil or Neutral. Then I would allow a player with the VoP to bind only Good and Neutral vestiges.

i.e.
Acererak - Evil
Agares - Good or Neutral
Amon - Evil
Andras - Neutral
Andromalius - Neutral
Aym - Evil

That does seem a reasonable approach, I only worry about how many vestiges may be classified as evil.

The ends do not justify the means, very tricky sentence to get around.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000