Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Ziggurats and pyramids
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  00:53:35  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, all

I was wondering if there are any ziggurats or pyramid type structures in Faerun? They exist in Maztica, of course, but are they part of the architectural heritage of any of Faerun´s cultures?

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  01:10:34  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there might be temple-like structures used by the Yuan-Ti in Chult that could qualify as ziggurats.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  03:25:36  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GoCeraf

I think there might be temple-like structures used by the Yuan-Ti in Chult that could qualify as ziggurats.

Do you know where I might look to find reference to this?

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  03:37:29  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

quote:

I would probably look in Serpent Kingdoms, though I don't know how far into architecture they go.
Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  03:41:34  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hello, all

I was wondering if there are any ziggurats or pyramid type structures in Faerun? They exist in Maztica, of course, but are they part of the architectural heritage of any of Faerun´s cultures?

The pyramids of Ascore.

Some lore:

[Ascore]
Once a thriving port on the Narrow sea, Ascore served as the gateway to the dwarven nation of Delzoun. Here, humans, dwarves and elves conducted trade with nations like Eaerlann,Netheril, Nimbral and Myth Drannor. Now it is sand-swept ruins with mighty stone docks thrust proudly into the advancing desert. The empty hulks of colossal stone ships lie half-covered in the desert beyond, the remnants of lost Delzoun's dwarven navy. From the west, an ancient road leads to the cliffs above Ascore. Here, a pair of gigantic stone griffon statues crouches, grimly guarding the dark, yawning entrance to Ascore'a door in a hill that leads down into the rock before exiting into the ruins at the base of the cliff.

GAME INFORMATION: The ruins of Ascore are said to contain great treasure. Yet even the orcs avoid the city. It may have something to do with the circle of 13 tall, five-sided red pyramids in the heart of the ruins. Whatever, something evil lurks in Ascore, something that has been here for 2,000 years... waiting. Desert creatures like dunestalkers and pernicon are found here, as well as many kinds of undead.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  04:37:01  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-The FRCG speaks of mysterious ziggaurats on the now island of Chult.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  05:21:47  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ifthir

quote:

Hello, all

The pyramids of Ascore.

Some lore:

[Ascore]
Once a thriving port on the Narrow sea, Ascore served as the gateway to the dwarven nation of Delzoun. Here, humans, dwarves and elves conducted trade with nations like Eaerlann,Netheril, Nimbral and Myth Drannor. Now it is sand-swept ruins with mighty stone docks thrust proudly into the advancing desert. The empty hulks of colossal stone ships lie half-covered in the desert beyond, the remnants of lost Delzoun's dwarven navy. From the west, an ancient road leads to the cliffs above Ascore. Here, a pair of gigantic stone griffon statues crouches, grimly guarding the dark, yawning entrance to Ascore'a door in a hill that leads down into the rock before exiting into the ruins at the base of the cliff.

GAME INFORMATION: The ruins of Ascore are said to contain great treasure. Yet even the orcs avoid the city. It may have something to do with the circle of 13 tall, five-sided red pyramids in the heart of the ruins. Whatever, something evil lurks in Ascore, something that has been here for 2,000 years... waiting. Desert creatures like dunestalkers and pernicon are found here, as well as many kinds of undead.

Ifthir, can you tell me where you found this info? Thanks.

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  05:54:36  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ifthir, can you tell me where you found this info? Thanks.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/2/fr_downloads/tsr9233.zip

p.40

Edited by - Ifthir on 21 Jan 2009 05:54:56
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  08:38:08  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are pyramids in the Old Empires, of course. From FR10 - Old Empires:

The Great Vale: "Ancient step pyramids mix with obelisks as 3,000 years of the honored dead find housing to continue their existence in the afterlife." (p. 14)

They are in Mulhorand and Unther: "The earliest monuments were step pyramids, with a central crypt concealed by tiers of granite or limestone. By the time the First Empire reached its peak, the step pyramid had been replaced by the slope pyramid, of which the 600-foot-tall Tomb of Re in Skuld is the largest.
Pyramid building thrived for hundreds of years, even making its way into Unther." (p. 33)

Gilgamesh (before he was ousted) got a nice one in Unthalass: "Behind the Imperial Wall are beautiful homes for the privileged, lush gardens, and the ziggurat of Gilgeam itself. (...) The ziggurat of Gilgeam rises for 16 tiers and is nearly 800 feet in height, one of the largest structures in the entire Realms." (p. 42)

Unther seems to have developed the Ziggurat by itself: "Early in its history, Unther developed the ziggurat, a step pyramid that was sometimes elaborately decorated with art and enamel plates." (p. 49)

There is mention of one in Cimbar: "This section includes the Great Palace, the home of the Sceptanar in the shadow of an old Untheri pyramid (...)" (p. 53)

Then, of course, there is also the pyramid tomb of Amun-Re featured in I3: Pharaoh, which was included in the Realms when it was bundled in the I 3-5 Desert of Desolation series.

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  14:04:53  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fantastic! Thank you, Thauramarth.

quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth
Then, of course, there is also the pyramid tomb of Amun-Re featured in I3: Pharaoh, which was included in the Realms when it was bundled in the I 3-5 Desert of Desolation series.

I´m not familiar with the I 3-5 Desert of Desolation series. Could you elaborate a bit on this source?

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  14:59:50  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I´m not familiar with the I 3-5 Desert of Desolation series. Could you elaborate a bit on this source?

Some info here

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  17:32:17  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As I recall that was set in the Raurin Desert, correct? Was it fully integrated into Realms history? If so, where is that info?

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  23:19:34  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

quote:

As I recall that was set in the Raurin Desert, correct? Was it fully integrated into Realms history? If so, where is that info?

Yeah, that's correct. The module was officially set in FR when it was rebundled as I3-5 (even had the logo on it), and had some realms references (Durpar, Elminster, etc.). I asked EG a question about it back in 2007, and THO replied on 17 July 2007

quote:

This time I bring unto your waiting eyes Ed’s response to scribe Thauramarth, specifically to this question: “Dear Ed, In (url="http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9569"]another thread[/url]) Markustay brought up the question as to which degree the I3-5 Desert of Desolation series was canon. I know that the module was basically a compilation module of modules which had been written before the Forgotten Realms became a TSR-published setting. Some additional material was written to fit the original modules into the Forgotten Realms (reference to Elminster, Durpar, etc.). Although I would never say that it seems a bit like a square peg and a round hole (I'd say the hole was hexagonal), it seemed a bit odd that the first module to be marketed as "Forgotten Realms" would be set in a very peripheral region, which since has not received all that much attention. Were you involved in the creation of the additional material, and if so, can you shed some light on how this interesting decision was reached?”

Ed replies:

No, unlike the “Realmsification” of Doug Niles’s Celtic setting into the Realms (swapping his prepared continent for my Moonshae Isles) I wasn’t involved at all in “fitting” those particular modules into the Realms.
I know that TSR was concerned that a swift and steady flow of material for the Realms should and indeed must appear to make sure the Realms “caught on.” The company had the existing example of Gary Gygax as a “creator bottleneck” (he was too busy running the company to write Greyhawk material as fast as it was needed to feed public demand, or as fast as he wanted to; longtime D&D gamers will remember how long we all waited for the promised Castle Greyhawk). They certainly didn’t want me to become another creator bottleneck, and were largely unaware of how much lore I had built up and how quickly I could work.
Starting in 1986, I hurled tons of material at TSR, and (largely through the hard work of Jeff Grubb) it became the original boxed set and FR1 in short order; Steve Perrin was handed my magic items and spells package (it became FR4), and Paul Jaquays was given the “North” stuff pruned out of FR1 (which became FR5).
My campaign had vast, sprawling old-style dungeons (e.g. Undermountain) and “mini-dungeons” (a tomb or cellars of a ruin consisting of a few rooms, that could be explored in one or two four-hour play sessions). I did not have a lot of written-up adventures to hand TSR, because my “home” players were used to a far different style of play (heavy roleplaying, many subplots, a huge cast of supporting characters, lots of “loose ends” that led to future adventures, the PCs choosing where to go and what to do, NPCs reacting to PC activities, and politics, trade, and “day jobs” playing a far larger role than dungeon-delving).
That “32-page dungeon crawl” lack was a hole TSR wanted swiftly plugged. As the sales of the Realms “took off,” that hole was filled by grabbing anything and everything (later example: The Great Khan Game), slapping the FR logo on it, and getting it out there.
I have never been a staff member of either TSR or WotC, though in some years of my freelancing I wrote as many SKUs as a staff designer, and I have been a behind-the-scenes consultant (paid and unpaid, at various times) from 1986 on. I have never had any direct say in what Realms products were published (when, how, format, who wrote) except to make copious suggestions, provide truckloads of lore beforehand so it can be “turned into” products, or creating or handing over lore when asked to by a designer or fiction writer who’s been handed a project and wants to know if I have anything already written that can be of use . . . and so on.
I happen to like those modules, as adventures (with some design reservations). I don’t like overtly real-world historical ties and “style” in the Realms, for reasons I’ve stated many times down the years, and “my” Realms would never have had pyramids, obvious Egyptian or Arabian references, and so on.
However, TSR bought the Realms as a “home” setting for the 2nd Edition of the game, with the deliberate intent that it accomodate all styles of play (pirate sea adventures, “Lost World” explore jungle ruins adventures, Arabian Nights adventures, cloud castles (and battling skyships) in the air adventures, knights battling the knights in the castle next door adventures, adventures in large cities with sewers and thieves’ guilds and haughty nobles - - and so on and on. Wherefore it’s not surprising that some real-world stuff appeared in the Realms. As some of the popularity of the Realms can be attributed to “hosting” these styles of play, I can’t complain.
After all, here we all are 20 years after TSR start publishing the Realms as a product line, and 40 years after I started creating it. Pull up a tankard, put your feet up, and watch the still-unfolding fun . . .

So saith Ed. Who now, with beard gone gray, finally LOOKS as old as Elminster.

Now that I reread it, it has something about pyramids (i.e., that in Ed's home campaign, there weren't any ).
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2009 :  04:31:22  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Thauramarth. Entirely apart from the question of pyramids and ziggurats, that was an interesting peek behind the scenes of the early development of the Realms.

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000