Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Gold coins...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  04:12:51  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Breaking News: A group of adventurers discovered a hoard of gold coins near some ancient ruins.

Sort of.

JERUSALEM – Israeli archaeologists said they have unearthed more than 250 gold coins from the seventh century on the edge of Jerusalem's walled Old City. A British tourist volunteering at the dig discovered the trove on Sunday.

This is of interest to gamers, because of the accompanying pictures showing the size of ancient gold coins. One picture shows a pile of the coins in a person's cupped hands. I estimate there to be about 30-40 of them, and they make a very small pile. Gold being heavy, fifty of them might make a pound, but it reinforces my belief that switching to 50/lb was a good decision.

And it lets me carry more loot.

Mod edit: Fixed the code to make it look pretty.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 Dec 2008 06:33:56

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  04:18:33  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm always an interesting discussion. The size of coin did vary and always will.
It is not the size that matters, large coins or the small coins. What matters is how much the gold can buy.
There could be dimne gold coins and talant gold coins. The later much larger then the former.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  04:31:52  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The (3e) DMG gave the size of the "generic" Gold Coins, I believe. From the size, taking into account the physical properties of gold, a "more precise" D&D Gold Coin weight can be estimated, if anyone wanted to.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  05:10:50  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's difficult to accurately calculate the weight because we don't know what the ratio of the mixture of metals in the gold alloy is. It is unlikely that they used pure gold, as the coins would be easily damaged. I also did the calculation on the weight of pure gold coins, using the dimensions of coins as described in the Draconomicon. It says that coins are a little over an inch in diameter and one tenth of an inch thick. Assuming I did my math correctly, the weight of one gold coin would be 0.0548 lbs, making 50 coins weigh 2.74 lbs. This makes it pretty obvious that they are not using pure gold coins. So unless anyone has any expertise on ancient coins and the most common alloys used in them, I don't know how we can calculate the actual weight of a gold coin.
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  06:28:48  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I checked your math, and came up with the same thing. That's for a coin a little over one inch. The coins shown in that article are somewhat smaller. I found a page with what appears to be the same coin, and it measures 1.88mm.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=99&zpg=37563

The website doesn't say how thick it is, but it gives the weight as only 4.414 g. Plugging that into the calculation, it would take 102 of these to make a pound. Without knowing the volume, though, we can't know how pure the coins are.

For those wanting to repeat the calculations, the density of gold is 19.3 grams per cubic centimeter, and it takes 454 grams to make one pound. See here:

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/125Adensitygold.html

--
Erskine Fincher
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  06:36:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That brings up one thing that's always bugged me: Dragon hordes. Draconic hordes are described as being huge piles of gold, enough for this seriously big critter to make a bed out of it and sleep on it. Yet the treasure tables give dragons only enough gold for a decent-sized pillow... I understand not wanting the PCs to pick up a couple million gold pieces at once, but that disconnect has always bugged me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  07:06:38  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The rest are all lead slugs with gold paint. It's a vanity hoard. :)

--
Erskine Fincher
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  08:23:40  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I think it is time to go treasure hunting.

Yeah dragons should get much more loot, but I guess they didn't want to have adventurers retire after one dragon horde. However, I still maintain you can adventure being super rich; it is just a heck of a lot easier for you to do it. Plus usually if you give PCs a lot of money they'll blow it pretty fast building fortresses/homes, partying, and buying or improving magical items. For some freakish reason I always have the luck of ending up with groups of people so frugal with their cash I'd be weary to give them so much. But as long as it is a rare thing I don't see a harm of them getting a treasure horde once in a blue moon.
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  12:21:31  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That brings up one thing that's always bugged me: Dragon hordes. Draconic hordes are described as being huge piles of gold, enough for this seriously big critter to make a bed out of it and sleep on it. Yet the treasure tables give dragons only enough gold for a decent-sized pillow... I understand not wanting the PCs to pick up a couple million gold pieces at once, but that disconnect has always bugged me.

They talk about that in the Draconomicon too. I kinda like the idea of making the horde all copper pieces to make a bed for the dragon. It makes carrying the horde out a lot more interesting...
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  16:13:15  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty cool, sorta makes me want to be an archeologist.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  17:03:37  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My thought on this is that when Dragons first appeared in D&D...they were not NEARLY as big as they are now. Add to that my old idea of having each coin be a full ounce sized coin...and you can get a dragon horde...but that was all in 1e.

The problem we have is that Dragons in D&D are somewhat common. Really, it would be cool to me if they were much rarer and only the mightiest hero had a chance of bringing them down. With so much money suddenly found, it would make a nice conclusion to an adventure series.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  17:28:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Really, it would be cool to me if they were much rarer and only the mightiest hero had a chance of bringing them down.

I agree that only the mightiest hero should be able to down one... And that's the way it is in the fiction. The rules actually support it, with giving dragons lots of magic and serious intelligence. The problem is, a lot of DMs tend to treat them as just bigger critters. I've had more than one person tell me about how their character wiped out dragons without breaking a sweat, and they always look puzzled when I comment "Not if I was running the dragon."

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  17:48:36  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Really, it would be cool to me if they were much rarer and only the mightiest hero had a chance of bringing them down.

I agree that only the mightiest hero should be able to down one... And that's the way it is in the fiction. The rules actually support it, with giving dragons lots of magic and serious intelligence. The problem is, a lot of DMs tend to treat them as just bigger critters. I've had more than one person tell me about how their character wiped out dragons without breaking a sweat, and they always look puzzled when I comment "Not if I was running the dragon."

I make dragons in my FR (even 3e) smaller. I think the biggest Dragon I have had the party encounter was just above Large size...no Garg. sized dragons in my campaign. I also give them huge hoards. It doesn't bother me that the party comes across so much money. Getting it out of the wilderness is an adventure all of its own.

Player: "What the hell? How did all those Hobgoblins find out the Dragon was dead? Man...do you guys think we can take out a whole tribe of hobgoblins...cause I really want my loot!"

DM: "Well, when the Dragon didn't come to their village and take tribute and dinner...they realized something must have been wrong..."

There is always a way to both reward the party with a massive hoard, let them have a nice chunk and the prime pieces...and then the rest can be taken by other dragons, local monsters, or the worst monster of all: the Royal Tax Collector.

Royal Tax Collector: "You have our King Azoun's great thanks! However, it is my duty to remind you that the hoard this beast rested upon was very much wrested from the hands of loyal citizens of Cormyr. As there is little way to know to whom the individual coins belonged to, it my duty to take 50% of its value to disperse to the poor of the Kingdom...this is of course on top of the 25% that is due the crown on such treasures found within his domain..."

I always thought it was nice to leave the awe...but relieve the purse at the same time.

This isn't done all the time; but money in my campaigns means little anyway...after all, King Mort of Tethyamar is richer than any Dragon he knows of. The other three have their skulls mounted on the outer turret of his personal stronghold...and those were some epic dang battles.

Anyway, the size of a gold coin is kinda hard to determine in both fantasy and real world. I mean, the typical Medieval mercenary had to be a near mathematical genius just to figure out how much money he actually had!

What with coins from Venice, France, Florence, a German Prince...each being of a different size, purity, weight and political value too!

Some people like the simple approach to loot in their game and that is fine...but I like confusing aspects that pull the players into the game. If it gets to the point where I see they aren't enjoying it at all...then I simplify. But you should see ol' King Mort trying to figure out just how much money he REALLY has because he has coins of his own nation, those minted in Sembia, Cormyr, Waterdeep, Zhentil Keep, Melvaunt, Thentia...and all of it fluctuates in value depending on what is going on in the world BESIDES the actual value of the metal!

Makes me glad sometimes that a dollar is a dollar...unless I go to Europe...

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  18:38:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless that girls hands are huge (and the picture makes them look that way), they look about the size of an American Nickel. I pictured them being more the size of an old half-dollar, so I find this interesting and enlightening.

Thanks for posting this.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Dec 2008 18:38:49
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  18:43:04  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

I kinda like the idea of making the horde all copper pieces to make a bed for the dragon. It makes carrying the horde out a lot more interesting...

-That's what I've done in the two instances where my players encountered Dragons with hordes. The "upper layer" is gems, platinum and gold, and the "lower layer" is silver and copper. Basically, the Dragon hides the coins that are worth less, in an attempt to boost it's own self-confidence and ego. Obviously, the mightier the Dragon, the more actual valuables the Dragon is going to have.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  20:44:38  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

Breaking News: A group of adventurers discovered a hoard of gold coins near some ancient ruins.

Sort of.

JERUSALEM – Israeli archaeologists said they have unearthed more than 250 gold coins from the seventh century on the edge of Jerusalem's walled Old City. A British tourist volunteering at the dig discovered the trove on Sunday.

This is of interest to gamers, because of the accompanying pictures showing the size of ancient gold coins. One picture shows a pile of the coins in a person's cupped hands. I estimate there to be about 30-40 of them, and they make a very small pile. Gold being heavy, fifty of them might make a pound, but it reinforces my belief that switching to 50/lb was a good decision.

And it lets me carry more loot.

Mod edit: Fixed the code to make it look pretty.

What a thoughtful post!

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  20:58:23  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

The "upper layer" is gems, platinum and gold, and the "lower layer" is silver and copper.

At the very bottom would be his Chuck E. Cheese tokens, also known as Waterdhavian toals.

--
Erskine Fincher
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  21:23:31  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

At the very bottom would be his Chuck E. Cheese tokens, also known as Waterdhavian toals.

-I heard Chuck E. Cheese was operating a Thieves' Guild in Calimshan...

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  21:47:38  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've had more than one person tell me about how their character wiped out dragons without breaking a sweat, and they always look puzzled when I comment "Not if I was running the dragon."

Our DM has gotten much better at using them, but I'm always thankful that he hasn't perfected his technique. In our current campaign we've killed two smallish ones, and two large ones. One of the large ones was summoned into a room with a low ceiling, so he couldn't use his ability to fly. That was a serious handicap. The other one was out in the open, and put up a damn good fight. He almost got away alive, but our sorceror knocked him down with a fireball as he was fleeing. Unfortunately, he landed on the other side of the gorge where we had just so cleverly destroyed the bridge, and we were unable to get his magic items, much less his hoard.

The only dragon hoard we've managed to loot belonged to a small black dragon. He nearly got away too, but our tank grappled him at the edge of his pond, so that the rest of us could dispatch him. The hoard was underwater, and it was pretty meagre.

In 3e, the dragons may have gotten bigger, but their hoards have gotten smaller. The days when you could kill a dragon and build a castle on the proceeds are long gone. :)

--
Erskine Fincher
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  23:27:34  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing that I explained to my party was that Dragon Scales play a large part in a hoard of the dragons. They replace them (in my games...dunno about others') over their entire life, but don't really molt or anything. The result is that they make the hoard look much larger than it is because they are mixed in with the dragon's treasures both enhancing the size and marking the treasure because of constant grinding/touching of scales. The scales also break down over time from rubbing against metals and become "coinlike" in size; and to enhance the treasure the constant buffing by metals make them somewhat reflective.

It was a good compromise for me and not mixing in literally tens of thousands of coins.

Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  00:38:08  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-That's what I've done in the two instances where my players encountered Dragons with hordes. The "upper layer" is gems, platinum and gold, and the "lower layer" is silver and copper. Basically, the Dragon hides the coins that are worth less, in an attempt to boost it's own self-confidence and ego. Obviously, the mightier the Dragon, the more actual valuables the Dragon is going to have.

That's what I do as well.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  05:37:30  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Yeah, I figured it's hardly anything groundbreaking or unique.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  05:43:56  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You probably get a nice groan from the players as well when they realise that there is a lot less gold there than they thought.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  14:10:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You probably get a nice groan from the players as well when they realise that there is a lot less gold there than they thought.

Well, there is a flipside to dragon hoards being smaller than in the fiction: the hoards in the fiction could never be hauled off by a small group of people. At least, not in one attempt.

Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  14:37:15  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well, there is a flipside to dragon hoards being smaller than in the fiction: the hoards in the fiction could never be hauled off by a small group of people. At least, not in one attempt.

Yes, but if you use coppers, there is more volume to the hoard and less value.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  15:33:55  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I generally hand wave things like carrying capacity, as long as it's within some reason. Generally speaking, it's not something I particularly want to deal with. If I create a Dragon and give it a horde, I want the characters to have it. So, unless it makes for an interesting situation, where they have problems hauling it all...

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  15:45:47  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It comes down to what you want the campaign to be about. If you have them trying to save the world, you don't want to bog them down too much with logistics.

Then again, you can present them with the moral dilemma of whether they're going to save the world, or bog themselves down trying to haul away the dragon's hoard. If they chose poorly, they deserve the trouble. :)

--
Erskine Fincher
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  16:01:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-I generally hand wave things like carrying capacity, as long as it's within some reason. Generally speaking, it's not something I particularly want to deal with. If I create a Dragon and give it a horde, I want the characters to have it. So, unless it makes for an interesting situation, where they have problems hauling it all...

Oh, as a DM, I'd be quick to drop a bag of holding somewhere, just so that things like that wouldn't be as much of an issue. And considering the treasure tables, it wouldn't be -- unless you add in things like tapestries and statuary.

But the fictional hoards are another story... It's common to describe the dragon's head as being as big as a wagon. If that's just its head, and it's resting on heaps of gold, then how many cartloads is it going to take to clean it out? There's also the question of how to secure it, if you can't cart it all away at once... And though I generally don't worry about economics, its been pointed out more than once that dumping that much gold into the economy would have an inflationary effect.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  16:13:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, the original NWN 2 campaign deals with exactly this situation. After you kill a dragon and head back to your stronghold, you have to send out a retinue of your soldiers with some wagons to cart back all the gold. The amount of gold they cart back depends on how well-trained your soldiers are (for example, if they aren't well trained, you risk losing much of the gold to highway robbers).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  17:17:04  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]But the fictional hoards are another story... It's common to describe the dragon's head as being as big as a wagon. If that's just its head, and it's resting on heaps of gold, then how many cartloads is it going to take to clean it out? There's also the question of how to secure it, if you can't cart it all away at once... And though I generally don't worry about economics, its been pointed out more than once that dumping that much gold into the economy would have an inflationary effect.

-Concerning lore and literature, of course things should unfold in a logical manner, in regards to what the horde is. How often, though, do we see this? Not very often. I can't think of any Forgotten Realms novels where a Dragon is killed, and it's entire horde is taken. And, in cases of historical Realmslore, the designers literally have any tool theoretically available to ensure that things make sense logistically.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  19:55:36  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I note the 1st Edition DMG openly says (on p. 90, Economics) that treasure in that edition is deliberately "fantastic and heroic" in proportion, not realistic, reflecting the size of treasure piles in "Conan, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, Kothar, Elric, and their ilk" as opposed to the value/size of coins in "medieval England, let us say".
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000