Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Summary of Faerun's History
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  08:56:41  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'd like to find a site that summaries the History of Faerun. Taking the infos from the books and the Modules.
I know it's a big work and it's hardly possible that someone has done this.
It's because in France we are very far from being up to date with the novels.
Thanks in advance

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  09:16:38  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, no, sorry, I'm booked solid for the next few years . . . .

Seriously, that would be a huge project. I don't think anyone would really want to do that unless they had a lot of time on their hands. Or unless they were one of the High Sages, like Lord Ed of the Green Wood.

Though it would make a great product for Wizards to put out. Too bad they have such an ignore-the-fluff stance right now.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  09:17:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have three sites which I have found to be the best in regards to FR history, at least in timeline format.

The first is fairly basic, but has some interesting details. This second site also has some interesting FR history is timeline format, but also draws from other sources as well. It is also tied into a general FR encyclopedia of some repute. The third and most comprehensive resource allows one to look over a history timeline by various categories, such as books sources, before and after Dalereckoning, and a whole complete timeline. The good thing about this one is that it is downloadable. It is also co-authored by a very notable scribe from here at Candlekeep named George Krashos.

I have a few more links but I will be sending them via ethereal mail.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  09:19:10  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George Krashos? Hmm.

::grabs some bandwidth and steps through the third portal.::

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  09:21:07  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Sage, but that's not exactly what i'm looking for. It more a history book of Faerun like the ones we have at school. How great it could be to have such book(s) on my shelves...
And i don't have access to my email adress, i only have Internet at my office and caramail is blocked by the proxy... Maybe in 1 week...

Edited by - zemd on 21 Jul 2003 09:23:29
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  09:54:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It that's the case, in one weeks time, I will send you a file which was a 'project' that some friends (in different countries) and I composed. We made particular use of the internet when it was still new and (mostly) exclusively used by computer geeks (like myself for example) and other educational facilities to transmit platform-based programs (FR notes), C++ header files (background information on some of the Realms most noted NPC's), and data structures (general historical notes collected from various published sources). It doesn't come anywhere near a encyclopedia of Realms history, but it is useful with regards to looking up significant periods of Realms history.

The one-week delay will allow me some time to update it from when it was last worked on. It's stops somewhere around Mirtul 1365. However given that I have three exams this week, a two-week delay may be more realistic.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  09:59:05  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Careful, Sage, you mentioned classes . . . Branmakmuffin will complain now.

However, when you finish it, send it this way, if you could. I'd like a peak at it.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  10:01:48  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok for two weeks then. Thanx in advance
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  10:08:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah...sorry Bran .

Anyway, I may just send you both a small sample before I head off to the library for exam study tomorrow.

Whoops , nearly did it again .

Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  19:21:12  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The overly intelligent troll pops out of the wood work

Er, not to trouble you sage, but i would be very interested in a copy as well if you'd be willing to send one my way? Thanks either way.

Mal.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  02:30:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay Malanthius, I'll send you a copy as well. In fact I may just ask Alaundo and the head scribes here at Candlekeep, if I can't just place it on their main site.

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Jul 2003 02:31:05
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  17:30:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Okay Malanthius, I'll send you a copy as well. In fact I may just ask Alaundo and the head scribes here at Candlekeep, if I can't just place it on their main site.

Well Met

Certainly, certainly my dear Sage. Just pop it over on my desk and ill make sure its available to all in the library forthwith. Rumor has it that some more tomes are due through the gates quite soon.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Candlekeep Webmaster
Webmaster

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  17:42:52  Show Profile  Visit Candlekeep Webmaster's Homepage Send Candlekeep Webmaster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Rumor has it that some more tomes are due through the gates quite soon.

Translation:
I think what Alaundo is trying to say is that we have a site update coming up some time this week

Jay
Candlekeep Webmaster

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Candlekeep Webmaster on 22 Jul 2003 17:43:09
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  03:35:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great, thanks Alaundo. I guess now I have an extra incentive to actually make this work something impressive.

Since this is now a fact, Alaundo, I want to take some extra time to really make this something worthwhile. I may even convert it to PDF format and edit it to the point of making it look professional and wholesome. Besides I know the old HTML 1.2 version I used to create the whole work is now outdated, and will need to be reworked, since the navigation links in the text will not confrom to the current HTML coding version.

I let you know more as it happens.

Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2003 :  03:34:01  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do people think is more useful in terms of giving a comprehensive look at Forgotten Realms History? Just a timeline, a discussion of the history (like a textbook) or a synthesis of the two? Of course, the first suggestion is the easiest to create, but I'm curious...

- The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2003 :  16:43:34  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As utterly massive as it would be, Personally, i'd prefer to have both a comprehensive timeline and an adjoining Synopsis(as brief as possible of course). Unfortunately, for this kind of overview, you would have to find someone with access to literally every forgotten realms cannon source.
I suppose if you got enough people together though, you could just have everyone take a specific time period. Strictly speaking it's only about 30000 years (roughly) of cumalative history, since no records remain of most of the Creator Races civilizations. Also, the farther back you go, the less things you have to reference, so it wouldn't take much for say -30000DR to -20000DR ie the end of the Creator races to the coming of the elves. You would have to break it up in smaller increments the closer you got to present though.

Mal.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2003 :  20:07:12  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The most importen in History of Faerun was when Cyric become a god
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2003 :  07:12:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that the fall of Netheril had more of an impact on FR history in terms of time and historical importance, than did the rise of Cyric.

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2003 :  14:25:22  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okey maybe but the avatar crisis was the most importen i would say....
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  22:18:43  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master zemd,

Though, as you are a Master of Realmslore now, I am sure you have the answers you seek, I thought this would reply since the URL's that the Master Sage provided are now defunct, and younger/newer folk may desire so more up-to-date information now that it is approximately 15 years later.

As a quick reference, the Grand History of the Realms is fantastic for that quick timeline to get at things you may have some information on already. Beyond that, you will want to look at the boxed sets, accessories, expansions and other materials. The reality is that, as in academics, you just need different sources for things.

As an example, I am primarily an economist, but I am also a marketer. Dealing with mathematics in economics is a bit different, and so we have a primer on econometrics for econ based things, and we have different texts for microeconomics, macroeconomics, cluster economics, price theory, etc. I feel that the primer for the Realms overall at this point is the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. That is a 300+ page book, and is quite comprehensive, generally speaking. The more specific you want, the more those other items become relevant.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by zemd

I'd like to find a site that summaries the History of Faerun. Taking the infos from the books and the Modules.
I know it's a big work and it's hardly possible that someone has done this.
It's because in France we are very far from being up to date with the novels.
Thanks in advance

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000