Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How Expen$ive I$ Your Forgotten Realm$ Collection?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thalos_Milathriel
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  03:20:25  Show Profile  Visit Thalos_Milathriel's Homepage Send Thalos_Milathriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been having a hard time keeping track of what D&D books I have when I see something interesting on Ebay, so today I made a spreadhseet and entered my entire D&D collection including game books, sourcebooks, novels and memorabilia. I entered the year of release, the setting (if any), the title, the author(s) and the retail price of the item.

Kind of handy to pull up a list of all Forgotten Realms novels in order of release, or all novels and sourcebooks by a certain author etc.

It's also enlightening to see how much money you've sunk into this hobby!

TOTAL Dungeons & Dragons: $5,907
TOTAL Forgotten Realms: $2,337

I knew it was a lot of books, but I wasn't expecting it to be this high.

Oops. I just realized I left out my Forgotten Realms comic books. Add about another $50 on there I guess.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  03:32:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not even sure where to start with something like this. I've practically got just about everything that TSR/WotC have published across the years for the Realms, as well as the older editions of D&D.

Determining the cost of my more recent D&D book collection shouldn't be too difficult though, because I never really purchased that many of the 3e rulebooks.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  03:42:04  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would not know where to start at all here either. I have been playing D&D, mainly in the Forgotten realms since 1987. I have some 1E stuff, a lot of 2E materials, most of 3E, and all of 4E. Then get into novels and I have most of the Forgotten realms collection. I also have most of my RPG collection in PDF, duplicates of my hard copies. My Hard copies (except 4E stuff) I have protected in my storage room.

a shiny new bike = $100
your first car = $5,000
a hobbie that lasts a lifetime = priceless
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  04:02:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gods, I have no idea but I've bought some sourcebooks, for Fr and Planescape, for 100 american to over 100. I have so many RPG stuff, mostly TSR/WOTC but also other companies, that I couldn't even price it. My RPG Word doc has over 2k items on it, not including novels and or comics.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  06:34:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, that's a tricky question, for me.

I bought a lot of the FR and D&D stuff as it was coming out, especially the novels. And then I lost it all.

I've replaced a lot of it, but a combination of eBay and a couple of really good deals has meant that I've gotten some incredible bargains -- like everything Planescape, for example, for about $100.

In fact, I once more have almost all of the 1E and 2E Realms stuff, and I spent maybe $350 or so to get it all -- and this time, I got all the Al-Qadim and Maztica stuff, too, which I didn't have before. I replaced most of the 3E FR books for half the cover price of each book, if not less.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  07:04:14  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Easy question to answer: Priceless ... since replacing many of those items is just not really something I could do. Memories are bound to the actual objects (modules, books, ...) just like I can hear certain music when I see some of the (older) modules.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Thalos_Milathriel
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  13:48:49  Show Profile  Visit Thalos_Milathriel's Homepage Send Thalos_Milathriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

Easy question to answer: Priceless ... since replacing many of those items is just not really something I could do. Memories are bound to the actual objects (modules, books, ...) just like I can hear certain music when I see some of the (older) modules.

Yes. I know exactly what you mean. I think of U2's "New Year's Day" when I look through my old AD&D books and vice versa. Must have been on the radio a lot back then.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  14:50:46  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too much to even think about...
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  15:12:00  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You remind me of my mother.. when she looks into my collection of FR books she says: -with all the money which you spent on these you would have bought a new car!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Nemes
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  16:07:21  Show Profile  Visit Lord Nemes's Homepage Send Lord Nemes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know the value of my collection and to be honest I'm not sure I want to know... Except a couple of books I miss, I nearly have all thing with a FR logo on it in my collection.

One thing Thalos: never let your wife see that Excel Spreadheet...lol
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  16:25:01  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, I must've sdpent a few thousand dollars on the Realms alone over the decades (and I regret none of it!).

But adding in D&D proper, to say nothing of other gaming systems? I probably could have put a good down payment on a nice house by now...
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  19:44:01  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure, but I had my kitchen waste pipe leak all over the bookcase that contained my entire DnD collection. I was there when it began, so I was able to save it all by quickly removing my books.

I'm a bit embarassed how close to tears I came. Luckily my paniced actions saved the collection. =)

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  20:09:21  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

Easy question to answer: Priceless ...

Correct answer! +10 points

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  21:29:17  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
about 1500 dollars.

more than i care ever to spend again. and never will

so living fr wont get my money

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  22:05:28  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

You remind me of my mother.. when she looks into my collection of FR books she says: -with all the money which you spent on these you would have bought a new car!!!

Yeah... but a car just sucks more money out of you in the form of fuel and maintenance... the Realms material in good condition is only going to increase in value, esp. now with 4E out.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  22:18:34  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back on topic... a lot. Most of it isn't with me right now, but I've spent about $3500 on 3.x combined core and Realms, not including my Ravenloft and Shattered Lands 3rd party stuff (which isn't with me either)... and I estimate my 1E/2E combined collection at about the same as my total 3.x collection. Total D&D estimated at around $10k, not including the fact that I acquired a lot of the 1E stuff twice, but the core books were bought used the second time. In perspective, the $100 I wasted on 4E core isn't so bad now... but it's still $100 that could have gone on my student loan or my Visa.

Still, I have to agree with Pandora... it's all priceless. I have two copies of the original Greyhawk boxed set (books only, but in mint condition) and mint copies of the original basic and expert D&D rulebooks (the ones that were 3-hole-drilled for binder storage; I found those at a second-hand bookstore for $4 each ). The stuff I no longer have is impressive too; the original AD&D Rogues Gallery (I miss that book), the Book of Lairs I and II, the first printing of the Queen of the Spiders campaign adventure, and others that I can't remember. I've kept all of my FR stuff over the years, however, right back to the Gray Box, the City System, Kara-Tur, and the Hordelands (without the boxes, sadly, my collection got too big to keep the boxes for my boxed sets).

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 13 Oct 2008 22:28:01
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  15:08:08  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't sell mine for any reason...
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  15:55:11  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have almost ALL released FR products (a scant few missing in my collection) so counting novels and all that, probably 2K worth....I have a list of what I have and what I am missing, but I don't dare calculate the total, because if my g/f gets a hand on that, I'm dead meat LOL

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Thalos_Milathriel
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  02:44:45  Show Profile  Visit Thalos_Milathriel's Homepage Send Thalos_Milathriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all for chiming in. Looks like we've all been bitten pretty hard by the FR bug. Aside from the novels I'm afraind I'm about ready to go cold turkey.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  03:38:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just going by the cover prices of the game stuff, I've got $3k worth of stuff. But I paid substantially less than cover prices for just about all of it -- at least, this time I did.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Luinnar
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  04:32:18  Show Profile  Visit Luinnar's Homepage Send Luinnar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings
After a long long hiatus from 1e, I picked up 1e core rules about two years ago and things have really gotten out of hand since then. Next were the Drizzt novels, then the 3.5e rules, and then the final nail in the coffin - Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. From there I starting buying FR manuals - mostly 3.5 I think. Having been out of the picture for many years I finally realized the existance of 2e and the genius of Ed Greenwood and that he was the architect behind much of FR. I know - I'm slow on the uptake. Now I'm trying to collect much of the 2e material in preparation for DMing a campaign starting in 1359 DR.

I shudder to think of how much I've spent but am not planning to stop soon. At least with 2e material that is.

Luinnar
Go to Top of Page

Yuen
Acolyte

Austria
22 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  05:03:41  Show Profile Send Yuen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess mine's still under a thousand €uros, but honestly I don't really care because I don't regret a single buy. If I wouldn't spend it on books I'd surely find a way to spend it on something with far less value, like 70 bucks for a 7 hour console game (Force Unleashed... George Lucas now owes me 7 hours of my life)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  13:35:32  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I have almost ALL released FR products (a scant few missing in my collection) so counting novels and all that, probably 2K worth....I have a list of what I have and what I am missing, but I don't dare calculate the total, because if my g/f gets a hand on that, I'm dead meat LOL

Just to add, this is in Canadian dollars (whatever that is worth these days)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  00:09:35  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just give your g/f a sampling of how the older stuff has appreciated in value over the years, and tell her it's part of your retirement fund (of course, when you actually *do* retire, you need to explain that you can't sell it, because you need something to do now that you're retired... but you have a good long time to prepare for that, I suspect). Funny how they all assume that they can tell you how to spend your money, including the money you had before you met them, once you're in a committed relationship, isn't it?

Edited by - Jakk on 17 Oct 2008 00:12:18
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  02:06:59  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

At first i didn't know how to answer this question because i never thought about how much money went into my hobby over the years. When it's a labor of love, you tend to forget about cost.

Then i decided it might be a good idea to know the facts about my collecting habit so i decided to purchase a database software that manages collections. It's called Book Collectorz and i had fun inputing all my books in it. When, not all yet.

So far, i'm at 12 000 $ and 530 entries and that goes up to 2005. I'm still missing 2005 to 2009. That doesn't count novels ... of which i own all FR since day one and all magazines of which i collect Dragon since issue 47 and Dungeons since issu 8. I guess at the end, i'll be close to the 25 grant mark over the last 24 years. That's about 1 000 $ a year...not that much i think. Oh...forgot about minis...i don't think it counts though.

All of this has come to an end now.... with the death of D&D :)

Darn Paizo ... they might just keep me in the loop because of their great products though:)

Pat

Just compiled the novels: 2 138 $. Nice program that collectorz book thing.

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com

Edited by - Patrakis on 20 Oct 2008 04:07:19
Go to Top of Page

Thalos_Milathriel
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  01:32:16  Show Profile  Visit Thalos_Milathriel's Homepage Send Thalos_Milathriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My wife can't bitch about it since

#1 I'm the breadwinner. It's my bread to do with as I please (as long as the bills are paid).
#2 Her scrapbooking stuff is almost as expensive.
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  02:31:40  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah...scrapbooking, what a great invention.

My wife hasn't won an argument over hobby spenditures since she started that :)

I like scapbooking.

PAt

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  04:42:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not nearly as expensive as it would of been, had WotC continued to produce quality products for the orignal setting.

I would have bought Sourcebooks, novels, and yes, probably even the DDI, until the end of time, had they not change everything into something nigh unrecognizable.

I suppose in the long run they did me a favor, because I would have never considered the additional expense of Golarion/Paizo products had I still been purchasing FR ones.

I'll have to thank them if I make it to Gencon next year.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  04:53:10  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or have Paizo thank them for the flock of new customers they sent their way :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000