Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New Map Series from me
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  04:16:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've started to post my 'stripped down' versions of the FR Maps, because I think they could be of some aid to the 4e DMs out there.

I'm still upset about my recent banning, but I know D&D players should be sticking together through these unsure times...

Damn... I'm starting to sound like a presidential candidate.

Anyhow, until I'm in the mood to work on 4e again (if ever), I will be releasing these over the next two weeks so everyone at least has something to work with.

Moonshaes and Moonsea are up, (by request)

I figure this way DMs can decide what does and does not exist in their games, which is the way it should be.

More to follow --- Mark

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Oct 2008 17:09:02

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  06:35:14  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok...I gotta ask even if you have said so somewhere else: how the heck do you do this again?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Iliyan
Acolyte

Croatia
42 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  07:09:29  Show Profile  Visit Iliyan's Homepage Send Iliyan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I remember him noting that it is photoshop work. It is a comment on one of his maps of deviantART. HOW exactly does he do it? Who can tell :D
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  07:36:57  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
many thanks for the maps.. good work!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  07:49:41  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iliyan
HOW exactly does he do it? Who can tell :D

Magic ?

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  11:00:30  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is such a great idea and as ever MarkusTay's maps are amazing.

Can we (I) get one for Waterdeep and environs please? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE?
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  11:18:27  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for the maps Markustay. Sorry about your banning but WotC continue to shoot themselves in the foot.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  17:25:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've spent the last two years building up an impressive array of tools like terrain sets, custom brushes and vector graphics, and just a VERY steady hand.

And yes, its all done in Photoshop, and in many places (like mountains) I am forced to 'correct' the background one pixel at a time.

Its a labor of love.

Two things - I start out with the official 3e map, which I thought was the best fantasy RPG map I've ever seen. Almost everything I do in Faerūn proper is just a modified version of that. Outside of Faerūn is mostly me, but I do a lot of pasting from the official one (especially mountains, which are tedious as hell to do freehand).

Secondly, I've been asked MANY times for copies of all my tools, terrains, and brushes...

Don't.

I take custom requests (as long as they are not like "do a whole planet for me"), and I try to provide everything a DM would need to run a good game, but everything I've created tool-wise is mine, and it took me a long time to do, and I feel like I'm just providing 'shortcuts' for people who want the "easy way out".

Take it from me - the tools are only half of it - you need to devlop both a steady hand and a good eye to get them looking halfway decent, and you're not going to be able to do that by 'jumping right in'. It was fiddling with PS and building all those tools that gave me the skills to use them. Its akin to me handing you all the parts for a car and then asking you to build me a Ferrarri.

If you're serious about Fantasy Map-Making, I learned a LOT from this guy at Zombie Nirvana - its the best basic how-to for cartography using PS I've seen. You should start there, and then build your own set of tools - everybody does things a little differently, and PS gives you dozens of options to accomplish the same things, so its best if you develop a way of working that suits your style (not mine).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Oct 2008 17:29:55
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2008 :  00:11:25  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Take it from me - the tools are only half of it - you need to devlop both a steady hand and a good eye to get them looking halfway decent, and you're not going to be able to do that by 'jumping right in'. It was fiddling with PS and building all those tools that gave me the skills to use them. Its akin to me handing you all the parts for a car and then asking you to build me a Ferrarri.

Yeah, but there are skilled mechanics who can build that Ferrari for you even if they didn't build the parts themselves... they just buy their tools and learn to use them properly.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.

Edited by - Nerfed2Hell on 11 Oct 2008 00:11:57
Go to Top of Page

Iliyan
Acolyte

Croatia
42 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2008 :  10:03:27  Show Profile  Visit Iliyan's Homepage Send Iliyan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, thanks for the link Markustay! That guy, Butch Curry, is amazing!
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2008 :  15:38:51  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice...
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  09:32:14  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

This is such a great idea and as ever MarkusTay's maps are amazing.

Can we (I) get one for Waterdeep and environs please? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE?

I'm not saying I wouldn't love to see MarkusTay give us a map of Waterdeep, but there's one already out there in PDF format... I believe it's available on this site, but I don't have the link. Wooly? Sage? Anyone? Hang on a sec... I'll check after I post.

Edit: I can't find that map on this site now, but if you were looking for a map of the Sword Coast North, rather than Waterdeep the city, there are a couple of them out there. Of course, I'd be willing to hold out for one from MarkusTay too... and he should have that area reasonably well detailed for us already, given its location.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 12 Oct 2008 09:41:36
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  11:37:10  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

I'm not saying I wouldn't love to see MarkusTay give us a map of Waterdeep, but there's one already out there in PDF format... I believe it's available on this site, but I don't have the link. Wooly? Sage? Anyone? Hang on a sec... I'll check after I post.

Edit: I can't find that map on this site now, but if you were looking for a map of the Sword Coast North, rather than Waterdeep the city, there are a couple of them out there. Of course, I'd be willing to hold out for one from MarkusTay too... and he should have that area reasonably well detailed for us already, given its location.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I meant an unlabelled map of the environs around the city of Waterdeep, not the city itself, including the Sword mountains, the High Road, the Long Road, Ardeep Forest, the Mere of Dead Men - all that kind of stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  17:50:26  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you're serious about Fantasy Map-Making, I learned a LOT from this guy at Zombie Nirvana - its the best basic how-to for cartography using PS I've seen. You should start there, and then build your own set of tools - everybody does things a little differently, and PS gives you dozens of options to accomplish the same things, so its best if you develop a way of working that suits your style (not mine).

Thank you very much for that link Mark, that is something that I've wondered (I had wondered about your mountain lines, and I see how that works now). Wow, just wow. I'd really like to learn to do that (My work's usually done in Fireworks or Gimp, so it's a little... weaker).

All in all, I understand a bit more of how things work, and I'm glad you posted that. I'll still stand in awe of your work, but I'm happy to say that I might be attempting something sooner or later

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  18:02:10  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OT: Jakk, your sigs are making it very difficult for me to read these pages quietly. Perhaps it is time to ask Ed about the great comics of Toril (in the real Realms, that is).

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  01:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay, would you please post a "universal" symbol key for your maps? F'rinstance, what do the dashed lines mean, the poxy green areas, etc.?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
727 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  07:57:45  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I meant an unlabelled map of the environs around the city of Waterdeep, not the city itself, including the Sword mountains, the High Road, the Long Road, Ardeep Forest, the Mere of Dead Men - all that kind of stuff.

There is one in the City of Splendors FORGOTTEN REALMS® Web Enhancement: Environs of Waterdeep. It is free for download from WotC.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  14:16:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:

There is one in the City of Splendors FORGOTTEN REALMS® Web Enhancement: Environs of Waterdeep. It is free for download from WotC.

Web Enhancement, Part 1
Web Enhancement, Part 2

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 15 Oct 2008 14:16:39
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  19:37:25  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:

Thanks. I knew about that one and really, really don't like it. It's all squishy and the dimensions seem wrong and I'm sure things aren't labeled quite right, and I KNOW that Mr MarkusTay Esq. would do a much better job of it, plus it would be completely free of labels which is what I'm after.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  00:23:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry I haven't posted anything new - I've had a REALLY BAD toothache for the past week, and it's giving me a migraine, and making it impossible for me to concentrate.

Its gone now, so I'll be banging some more stuff out shortly.

A text-free map of the north, you say? Hmmmmm....

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Markustay, would you please post a "universal" symbol key for your maps? F'rinstance, what do the dashed lines mean, the poxy green areas, etc.?
Sorry... I had one up, but then I too it down when I took down everything Else.

This is the latest one.

Mind you - In Faerūn, "Main Road" simply means a VERY well known and widely used trail, with towns and Inns along the route, but it is almost NEVER paved and rarely patroled in most places.

In Kara-Tur, ALL Main Roads ARE paved, and patrolled regularly by the Empire (except down in T'u Lung, where the patrols are anything but raegular, and usually corrupt).

Minor roads are just that, and never paved (except, perhaps where they pass through towns), and trails usually only extend through mountains (though not always), and are sometimes arduous to travel, especially during the Winter Months.

I've also changed the 'bear paw' symbol from meaning 'Menhir/Druid Circle' to just Holy Site (because that makes more sense in the east, where it will indicate a Hermitage, Shrine, or Pilgrimage site). It is still more of a 'natural' holy place, rather then man-made (although one or two small structures may be present).

Hope that Helps --- Mark

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Oct 2008 00:24:28
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
727 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  09:35:13  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mark, why did you end up taking the 'older' stuff down? Is it as a result of your banning at WotC, or did someone over at deviantART also complain?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  19:25:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No-one complained - it was in protest to my unfair banning (because I dared to use the word 'errata').

However, I realized that that was probably what they wanted (for me to just "go away"), and it only hurts the fan community, so I will be slowly replacing them all with newer versions. The only thing I refuse to do at this point is release any 4e versions, and I had a very nice one of Returned Abeir almost complete. I refuse to help them develop their new product line because of the banning.

In the meantime, all of the complete maps are available here in the CK maproom - the ones at DeviantART were mostly just WIPs anyway, and Alaundo is gracious enough to host the finished ones here.

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Oct 2008 19:25:46
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  07:32:02  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're a good man, Markustay.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  11:05:00  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No-one complained - it was in protest to my unfair banning (because I dared to use the word 'errata').

However, I realized that that was probably what they wanted (for me to just "go away"), and it only hurts the fan community, so I will be slowly replacing them all with newer versions. The only thing I refuse to do at this point is release any 4e versions, and I had a very nice one of Returned Abeir almost complete. I refuse to help them develop their new product line because of the banning.

In the meantime, all of the complete maps are available here in the CK maproom - the ones at DeviantART were mostly just WIPs anyway, and Alaundo is gracious enough to host the finished ones here.

Well met

Always a pleasure, Markystay, always a pleasure.

Candlekeep will always be a home to thy wonderous work for as long as ye wish.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

andmnk
Acolyte

Poland
8 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  22:09:39  Show Profile Send andmnk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay, could you publish your maps in PDF format with different text and graphics layers. These maps would be easier to print (more scalable), easy to translate the place names to the other languages, or exchange some place names by word puzzles for the players.

P.S. Your maps are great.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  18:37:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really not all that handy with pdfs. I got Adobe awhile back, but I still don't know how to use about 99% of the features.

Eventually I'm going to have to bite the bullet and learn how to use it, so I will see what I can do.

Go to Top of Page

andmnk
Acolyte

Poland
8 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  18:55:51  Show Profile Send andmnk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay, you can simply install a PDF printer (Bullzip PDF Printer, PrimoPDF, Adobe PDF Printer, Nitro PDF...), and thanks to it directly "print" your Photoshop works to PDF files.

Edited by - andmnk on 19 Oct 2008 19:00:04
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  19:06:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the Adobe one built-in to PS? I use PS and have Adobe Acrobat, so it would be easier to use compatible software.

Thanks for your help and your interest.

Go to Top of Page

andmnk
Acolyte

Poland
8 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  19:15:58  Show Profile Send andmnk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Acrobat there's a PDF printer option during instalation, so in PS should be also. If there's not, PrimoPDF is for free.

Edited by - andmnk on 19 Oct 2008 19:21:19
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  19:33:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found an option under 'Import' in PS, but not under 'Export'. Hmmmmm....

Might just be easier to tinker with the Acrobat side of the equation...

Go to Top of Page

andmnk
Acolyte

Poland
8 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  19:49:57  Show Profile Send andmnk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try in PS: menu File -> Print, change printer to Adobe PDF and print.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000