Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Pirate King (Spoilers within)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  14:48:29  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
*GLEE*

Amazon informed me that Pirate King shipped yesterday afternoon from St. Paul. So I *should* have the book in my hands this evening after work.

And should have it finished by tomorrow.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 21 Oct 2008 19:20:18

Drow Kvive Asharm
Acolyte

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  15:01:04  Show Profile  Visit Drow Kvive Asharm's Homepage Send Drow Kvive Asharm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got my copy on Friday. Read the first couple of chapters. Not too bad so far.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  16:57:23  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got mine on Friday also. I think I'll read it as soon as I'm done Blackstaff Tower.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  22:35:03  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It came out a week ago in Halifax Canada. I have posted a few Spoiler full reviews on Salvatore's site, and on Lavender eyes.

I rate it 2.5 out of 5. I was disappointed in it.

But Ill leave the spoilers in those other reviews I did.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  06:42:00  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really, you should link that :)

One wonders when Drizzt's angst will end.

*remembers the Orc King prologue*

Never mind, I suppose it doesn't.

As for Jarlaxle, I think I'll just keep reading the AU fics that stalwartly ignore everything after Servant of the Shard. I've been feeling like I need to ignore canon a lot recently. Oh well...
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  14:22:44  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://lavendereyes.rivkashome.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=7921

Here ya go:P
Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  21:22:34  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least Drizzt has loosened up as far as sex goes. Nice to see he's pulled his scimitars out of his... ahem, I mean to say he's far less repressive of his desires. Which I think is more healthy for him. He's an ELF for God's sake. They're all incredibly attractive, and almost every novel about elves I've read says that elves love showing off that everything around them wants to have sex with them.

On another note, CURSE YOU R.A. SALVATORE!!! Now I feel guilty for choosing to watch the debate tonight instead of finishing your novel. :(

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams

Edited by - Kamuraki on 07 Oct 2008 21:24:48
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  21:54:17  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

http://lavendereyes.rivkashome.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=7921

-Wow...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  23:34:55  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

-Wow...

-Yeah thats an understatement. So when was/is the official release date for this novel?

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2008 :  03:47:13  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-It was today.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2008 :  03:57:42  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-It was today.

-Cool. Thanks.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2008 :  04:35:14  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-Cool. Thanks.

BRIMSTONE

-And, in a half-hour or so, it would have been yesterday...And, today would be my birthday!

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2008 :  04:57:44  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-Cool. Thanks.

BRIMSTONE

-And, in a half-hour or so, it would have been yesterday...And, today would be my birthday!

Heya, congrats! :) My birthday is Oct 9th, heh.

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2008 :  14:23:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I skimmed a few pages of this book in the store last night. Have to admit, I don't feel any great desire to read it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2008 :  14:48:38  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I skimmed a few pages of this book in the store last night. Have to admit, I don't feel any great desire to read it.

Just took a quick glance at my bookshelf.......looks like I have to read it by the count of all the D books I see.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2008 :  18:16:13  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got mine in the mail yesterday. I will read it as soon as I am done with Neversfall.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2008 :  18:26:12  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-Cool. Thanks.

BRIMSTONE

-Happy day dude!

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  05:27:41  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading it now... sigh... is this pre or post Spellplague? I really can't tell as I'm not recognizing any Realms element in this book...
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  15:51:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Reading it now... sigh... is this pre or post Spellplague? I really can't tell as I'm not recognizing any Realms element in this book...

It's pre-Spellplague. I still feel no great hurry to read it though.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  21:54:27  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Just took a quick glance at my bookshelf.......looks like I have to read it by the count of all the D books I see.

I am with you. I have an entire row filled with RA Salvatore novels
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2008 :  16:57:02  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just figured it out. The treaty with Obould was signed in 1372 and, Catti-brie mentioned that it's "been four years". So, it's set in 1376. Pre-Sellplague, but after Vhaerun's death (going by GHotR).

Having not read Lady Penitent, what year does Eilistraee die? Trying to figure out if this is after the 'redemption' of the drow.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2008 :  18:43:02  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh.. I put down Pirate King two nights ago and haven't picked it back up since... hmmm.... back to my unfinished Blackstaff, methinks...
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2008 :  20:12:27  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sigh.. I put down Pirate King two nights ago and haven't picked it back up since... hmmm.... back to my unfinished Blackstaff, methinks...
One might ask why you put down Blackstaff to begin with...

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2008 :  20:21:15  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:

One might ask why you put down Blackstaff to begin with...

Oh, that was just due to the interruptions of our six month old daughter...
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2008 :  20:54:10  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished the book;

I must say that I rather liked the book. R.A. Salvatore did a very good job of establishing the slow transformation of the "innocent" Realms of 3rd Edition into the much more ambigious 4E Realms where so much well intentioned heroism is going to go off in odd directions.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Drow Kvive Asharm
Acolyte

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  08:03:40  Show Profile  Visit Drow Kvive Asharm's Homepage Send Drow Kvive Asharm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished the book as well. Although I was a bit dissapointed at first, I forced myself to read it through and surprisingly I ended up liking it in the end! I agree with Charles about the transformation of 3rd Edition to 4E.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  13:54:37  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, work (and other things) suck, so I just finished it last night.

As always, I enjoyed the book. Seeing how much characters have changed and how they are nostalgic for the way things 'used to be' was very nice. But it got me thinking and, I believe RAS may be ending the Drizzt stories with The Ghost King. It's my personal opinion and not based on anything I have heard. (Although I'm really kicking myself for missing his book signing last week...)

Even if he is asked to continue to write Drizzt in the 4E Realms, I'm not sure I'd want to read it. Half of what I love about the novels is the secondary characters. And most, if not all, will be dead in the new Realms. I think it's a parallel to Michael Stackpole and Battletech. I adore all the Michael Stackpole novels, EXCEPT those set after the time jump. He had come back into the fold after the time jump to 'bridge the gap' for the old-time Battletech enthusiasts to say 'Hey, it's still Battletech! See, I've got a story for it!'. But the new novels fell flat, in my opinion, and judging from the upcoming 'restart' of their novel line, I don't think they did well financially either.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  14:58:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like encountering other fans of Stackpole.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  15:08:55  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just an aside, do you also like RAS and Tom Clancy?

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  15:56:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Just an aside, do you also like RAS and Tom Clancy?

I'm a big fan of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan stuff, though there were some things in The Teeth of the Tiger that bugged me (like, how did Kealty manage to become Prez?). And everything in Rainbow Six was just a little too neatly tied together.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  16:25:39  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here... The older stuff is definitely better. What appeals to me about RAS, Stackpole and Clancy is the attention to detail for the smallest things. The way RAS describes Drizzt's fights, Stackpole spending a chapter on how an assassination occurs (with tangents to all the after-effect) and how Clancy can start with minor stuff and show how it all inter-relates to create the 'big picture'.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000