Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Eilistraee and the Lythari
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2008 :  16:31:49  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've read several references to a connection between Eilistraee's faith and the Lythari (basically good elven werewolves for those unfamiliar with the term). Has this ever been covered in gaming material at all?

For that matter, did any of the 3.5 books cover the lythari even slightly? I remember some mention of them in Races of Faerun, I seem to recall that not everyone agreed with what was said there.

Thanks for any help providing lythari references.

Jimbobx
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2008 :  17:45:53  Show Profile Send Jimbobx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine Cunningham's Daughter of the Drow features a Lythari character albeit briefly.

Mark Sehestedt's Frostfell features what I assume are Lythari heavily throughout the novel.

Rilyetan's Retreat

Jimbob's Waterdeep Journal
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2008 :  20:05:00  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For information on the Lythari, see Elves of Faerūn.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2008 :  01:29:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the lythari sources include Monsters of Faerūn, Races of Faerūn, Elves of Evermeet, Elaine's novels and some of her compiled replies made here at Candlekeep.

The Monstrous Compendium Annual Vol. 4 is also useful, as is 2e's Demihumans of the Realms.

No doubt, Dagnirion's Elves of Faerūn already provided summaries of the relevant lythari lore in each source.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2008 :  19:57:38  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know there is a Lythari in a short story, by Elaine, about Lireal, but I don't remember one in the series.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2008 :  20:02:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

I know there is a Lythari in a short story, by Elaine, about Lireal, but I don't remember one in the series.

There was one in the Liriel series (in Windwalker).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  14:49:06  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

And they're the same one

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  00:23:52  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

For information on the Lythari, see Elves of Faerūn.

Where is this book at? I think this is the first I've heard of it.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  01:07:15  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

Where is this book at? I think this is the first I've heard of it.

I believe Ardashir is probably referencing the netbook that you can find information about here.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  01:12:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or you could just check Dagnirion's signature.

Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  07:15:18  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Even though the Sage already mentioned "Elaines novels" I think I should add that "Silver Shadows" is a whole novel about the "Lythari problem in Tethyr".

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  03:03:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobx

Elaine Cunningham's Daughter of the Drow features a Lythari character albeit briefly.

Mark Sehestedt's Frostfell features what I assume are Lythari heavily throughout the novel.

They are lythari, but there are some notable differences between his lythari and Elaine's. The lythari of Frostfell have a totally different culture, are tied to their homeland, and apparently have lost the ability to use "the Doors to the Gate".

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  13:50:48  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora
Even though the Sage already mentioned "Elaines novels" I think I should add that "Silver Shadows" is a whole novel about the "Lythari problem in Tethyr".

Not quite. Silver Shadows does include lythari, but it is mostly about the green elves of the Wealdath Forest of Tethyr. Arilyn Moonblade does persuade the reclusive lythari to assist their green elf cousins, but for creatures given a title role in the novel, we see very little of them.

And no, I have never heard of a connection between the Ly'Tel'Quessir and Eilistraee, although that does not mean there isn't one - it simply has not come up in any publication I have read.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  14:11:07  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know that there's a "racial connection" between Eilistraee and the lythari, but one particular lythari (Thorn) is known to follow the Dark Maiden.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  18:29:49  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't know that there's a "racial connection" between Eilistraee and the lythari, but one particular lythari (Thorn) is known to follow the Dark Maiden.

I figured it as, lythari are elvish werewolves, werewolves are symbolically linked to the moon, and Eilistraee is the elf goddess of the moon and hunting as well as good drow, so therefor she has a connection with the lythari and vice-versa.
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  20:11:57  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobx

Mr Sehestedt's Lythari also seem to be major players in the Realms of War short story "Mercy's Reward".

Apologies if this was already covered.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  21:12:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:

I figured it as, lythari are elvish werewolves, werewolves are symbolically linked to the moon, and Eilistraee is the elf goddess of the moon and hunting as well as good drow, so therefor she has a connection with the lythari and vice-versa.

Sehanine is the elven moon goodess. And lythari are not werewolves -- they lack the hybrid form, and they can only pass the changing ability onto others by use of a ritual.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  21:36:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, that changed in 3e, and Rich confirmed it many years ago. They do have a hybrid form, according to the sourcebooks for 3e and they are were's.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Sehanine is the elven moon goodess. And lythari are not werewolves -- they lack the hybrid form, and they can only pass the changing ability onto others by use of a ritual.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  21:58:35  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20020503a

"Portfolio: Song, beauty, dance, swordwork, hunting, moonlight"

Not quite a moon goddess, but clearly associated with the light of the moon, which is what effects were.

Also Eilistraee has been named Moon Maiden, though one might argue that was printed because it slipped past the content Editor.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  22:39:22  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you wish t infer a connection and make that fact in your home campaign, that is fine. But the published Realmslore doesn't say so explicitly.

Source on hybrid form, Kuje? I trust your grasp of lore, but I recall the hybrid issue settling out differently.

And they control their own transformation at will, I think, whether born as lythari or attaining that state through ritual.

As an aside, here's a question: Do you suppose the ritul magically confers the silver-haired coloration upon elves of other subracial heritage who are made into lythari?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  22:55:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I said, Rich confirmed it so many years ago. No, I don't have the post any more because after 8 years, it's gone in one of the designer threads.

How Races of Faerun clearly says they are elven werewolves and it says nothing about that they are an exception to having a hybrid form. They are lumped in with the Lycan chapter and that chapter discusses hybrid forms.

However, Monsters of Faerun also says they are elven werewolves but that book, at least, says no hybrid form. :)

Myself, I always stick to the 2e lore, which also said no hyrbid but thats me.

Races's text on page 142 is: "In Faerun, the following kinds of lycan are common, bats, bears, boars, cats, crocs, rats, sharks, tigers, wolves, and the elven lythari. Each of these can transform from its normal humanoid form to that of a animal or a hybrid form."

So, it seems pretty clear to me, 3.5e lumped the lythari into having a hyrbid.

quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

Source on hybrid form, Kuje? I trust your grasp of lore, but I recall the hybrid issue settling out differently.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 22 Sep 2008 22:59:13
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  01:17:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still keep to the no hybrid form if and when I use lythari in my campaign, regardless of what the current lore says.

I mean... considering the fact that the lythari didn't originally have this hybrid form, and the details that surround their brand of shape-changing, in that it is only passed on by ritual or by procreation, I'm still of the mind that they not true lycanthropes. They are, simply, elves who have the ability to transform into wolves.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  01:25:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I still keep to the no hybrid form if and when I use lythari in my campaign, regardless of what the current lore says.

I mean... considering the fact that the lythari didn't originally have this hybrid form, and the details that surround their brand of shape-changing, in that it is only passed on by ritual or by procreation, I'm still of the mind that they not true lycanthropes. They are, simply, elves who have the ability to transform into wolves.

I agree. I think calling them weres in 3E was done for ease of classification, more than anything else.

Besides, if lythari are considered lycanthropes, then so should be song dragons and swanmays.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  15:26:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Me too.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  15:47:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also want to note that I don't know of a single documented case of a lythari having the hybrid form.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  16:34:44  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I also want to note that I don't know of a single documented case of a lythari having the hybrid form.
I was thinking this as well, but could not figure out the words to do so, thank you Wooly. I have been thinking about creating a Lythari race closer to that in the novels and less like an elf with the werewolf template attached.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000