Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Blackstaff Tower - Chapter 20 - 27 & Epilogue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  08:56:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Blackstaff Tower (Book 1 of Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep), by Steven Schend. Please discuss chapters 20 - 27 and the epilogue herein.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2008 :  23:04:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Snikt! First post. )

I just wanted to pop in and publicly declare my praise and support of Steven's novel.

I finished reading my copy of this excellent novel just a little while ago and was highly entertained--not to mention that the devotion to the Realmslore of the past and present is mightily impressive.

The Realms have been shaky during the transition, but I firmly believe that this novel (along with Mistshore, which I'm reading now) makes for a fine and stable bulwark of the setting we know and love.

Blackstaff Tower honors what has gone before and makes me optimistic about what is to come.

Well done, Steven.

Cheers

P.S. Here's hopin' for Blackstaff book 3!

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  14:47:38  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

(Snikt! First post. )

I just wanted to pop in and publicly declare my praise and support of Steven's novel.

I finished reading my copy of this excellent novel just a little while ago and was highly entertained--not to mention that the devotion to the Realmslore of the past and present is mightily impressive.

The Realms have been shaky during the transition, but I firmly believe that this novel (along with Mistshore, which I'm reading now) makes for a fine and stable bulwark of the setting we know and love.

Blackstaff Tower honors what has gone before and makes me optimistic about what is to come.

Well done, Steven.

Cheers

Thank you very much, Erik. I'm itching to read Downshadow and City of the Dead myself....

quote:

Whaddya think the title ought to be? Return of the Blackstaff? Blackstaff's Revenge? Blackstaff-the Musical? Blackstaffs and Broomsticks? Heck, I wanna write em all!

Steven
who'll have to stop the jaunty lyrics for "Halaster's Under Our Feet" from spooling out in his head right damn now....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  15:04:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

Whaddya think the title ought to be? Return of the Blackstaff? Blackstaff's Revenge? Blackstaff-the Musical? Blackstaffs and Broomsticks? Heck, I wanna write em all!
My vote's for Blackstaff: Attack of the Manshoon Clones.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  17:17:25  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

My vote's for Blackstaff: Attack of the Manshoon Clones.

Nah. That'd get in the way of my children's apocalyptic novel One Shoon, Two Shoon, Red Shoon, Manshoon.

Then again, "Attack of the Killer Zhentarim" has a nice ring to it...

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  17:31:11  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Back in Black: The Search for Khelben Arunsun"

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  18:59:34  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

"Back in Black: The Search for Khelben Arunsun"

Urgh. My brain went Start Trek sequel. Now the 3rd book must be "Blackstaff III: The Search for Khelben" and we'll bring him back to life! He's been gestating on the moon!

SES

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  19:00:41  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jokes and fun aside, I do hope a few more people chime in here (and in related forums) to let us know your reactions to the book, what you liked (and what you didn't).

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2008 :  01:47:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed! Feedback for everyone!

Most memorable little moments for me were as follows:

1) When Vajra snoops on Renaer as he's getting dressed, staring at him fixedly, then rambling nonsense and vanishing back into slumber. Somehow, it was just really amusing.

2) Kyriani reappearing (I think the word was . . . lissome? Yay!) and Ashemmon the half-elf. HINT!!!

3) Also rather a fan of the magical wolves and what they did around the tower at the end. *That's* what happens when you mess with Waterdeep.

4) In terms of favorite character, I think Meloon acquitted himself the best at the end of the book--I was very pleased to see that he did not die or suffer anything crippling. (Now if he would just get on with wooing Elra . . . c'mon--those two are destined for each other!)

5) Also the refounding of the Moonstars was an excellent touch. I wonder if any original members are still alive and kicking somewhere . . .?

Cheers

P.S. Blackstaff III: Khelben vs. Mancthulhu.

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  00:59:40  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome book. Seriously. I couldn't have expected more.

Ashemmon is my new favourite realms character and he's only in it for a few pages.

If you're taking suggestions for a new Blackstaff book I'd love to see an anthology of tales from each of the Blackstaffs now that you have a few to play with.
Go to Top of Page

Sailusj
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  05:34:47  Show Profile  Visit Sailusj's Homepage Send Sailusj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on this great book steven! I think it was a great way to bridge together the old and the new! I was very relieved. Now one thing i didnt like ( and please take no offense just my own opinion take on the event) and another i look forward to, first the way Sammy was dealt with. I think for a Blackstaff he was defeated far too easily. But I could understand that the story needed to progress without to much extra going on. Secondly the group Renaer was forming at the end seemed to promise something great and lasting in the future of Waterdeep, and maybe beyond! again i loved the book great job!

"Oh dear God...What is that smell?!"
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  19:24:48  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

Awesome book. Seriously. I couldn't have expected more.

Ashemmon is my new favourite realms character and he's only in it for a few pages.

If you're taking suggestions for a new Blackstaff book I'd love to see an anthology of tales from each of the Blackstaffs now that you have a few to play with.

Now I'm curious--what makes Ashemmon your new favourite?

Actually, I'd love to do just that sort of thing, but it's up to WotC as to where to go from here with him/them. Still, telling them what you want (in written letters moreso than email) may have more impact than you'd expect.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  20:55:17  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now I'm curious--what makes Ashemmon your new favourite?

The chapter where he tests Laraelra was perfectly crafted, and just from those few pages I felt I completely understood his character - the way he must have conducted himself with humour, mischief, and diplomacy. He appears charismatic, perceptive, and an effortless politician. His appearance (tattooed chest, blond-haired, half-elf) is somewhat exotic compared to the other Blackstaffs. And, best of all: knowing (OK: 'strongly suspecting' since you never actually say) who his parents are (Ashemmi and Semmemon) gives him an instant connection with fans of that troubled wizardly couple.

Assuming I'm right about his parentage, can you reveal any more information about him: when was he born? did he ever know his half-sister? I won't ask questions about her specifically since she's Elaine's baby just as much as she is Ashemmi's.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  21:01:25  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Indeed! Feedback for everyone!

Most memorable little moments for me were as follows:

1) When Vajra snoops on Renaer as he's getting dressed, staring at him fixedly, then rambling nonsense and vanishing back into slumber. Somehow, it was just really amusing.

2) Kyriani reappearing (I think the word was . . . lissome? Yay!) and Ashemmon the half-elf. HINT!!!

3) Also rather a fan of the magical wolves and what they did around the tower at the end. *That's* what happens when you mess with Waterdeep.

4) In terms of favorite character, I think Meloon acquitted himself the best at the end of the book--I was very pleased to see that he did not die or suffer anything crippling. (Now if he would just get on with wooing Elra . . . c'mon--those two are destined for each other!)

5) Also the refounding of the Moonstars was an excellent touch. I wonder if any original members are still alive and kicking somewhere . . .?

Cheers

P.S. Blackstaff III: Khelben vs. Mancthulhu.

Rather than break up your quote, I'll just hit the numbers.

1) Heh. That was one of the first clues of the multiple Blackstaves in her with the flickering eye color. The lascivious looks came from Kyriani, of course. And a little beefcake never hurt Waterdeep either.

2) Funny thing that three of the Blackstaves have been half-elves, eh?
And Kyri's ALWAYS been lissome (at least once she stopped being a blonde) in my mind. There's a reason I keep bringing her back whenever I stop in Waterdeep.

3) Glad you liked the redecorating and the reminder that not all changes and powerful effects come from newer sources.

4) Grateful that I could bring Meloon to life like that for you; hope you enjoyed his Errol-Flynn-inspired exit from Ahghairon's Tower. As for romance between him and Elra, I can't really say; I thought the vibe between them turned more big sister/little brother, but I've been wrong before. Anyone else care to chime in on this (as I tended to avoid romance in this book as there wasn't enough room, like last time).

5) Now, Erik, I purposely left the group's name wide open and undecided (though they might be Moonstars). Even so, yes, there probably are surviving Moonstars, but they're so used to remaining in hiding that they'd be excrutiatingly difficult to find (or survive finding them, if they want to be left alone).

As for that sequel, I suppose one Manshoon-clone could have morphed into a morkoth-like creature and hidden in the Sea of Fallen Stars...

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  21:03:36  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sailusj

Congrats on this great book steven! I think it was a great way to bridge together the old and the new! I was very relieved. Now one thing i didnt like ( and please take no offense just my own opinion take on the event) and another i look forward to, first the way Sammy was dealt with. I think for a Blackstaff he was defeated far too easily. But I could understand that the story needed to progress without to much extra going on. Secondly the group Renaer was forming at the end seemed to promise something great and lasting in the future of Waterdeep, and maybe beyond! again i loved the book great job!

While I agree that the fight should have been longer, the demands of the story structure (and the power of surprise, which should never be underestimated) forced a quicker end to Samark than I might have liked.

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you look forward to future adventures with Renaer and Company (whatever their name ends up).

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  06:26:19  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Just finished it. It was a good read, but not as much as Blackstaff for me.

Magic felt more like 3.xE than 4E, which may be expected when they don't give the author access to the new rules .

I don't share your fondness for sorcerers, but what may be sad for some is that the actual 4E sorcerors may be quite different from what they were, i.e. how you protrayed them in the book.

I was asking myself if new FR readers would feel that there is too much strange references ? I'm pretty sure my gf who has read a dozen fr book wouldn't like it.

I much liked the protagonists and the visit of Ten-Rings in the Warrens was delicious.

Go to Top of Page

Ancharez
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  18:37:19  Show Profile  Visit Ancharez's Homepage Send Ancharez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Steven,

As a long-time lurking fan of both the Realms and Candlekeep itself, I wanted to thank you for Blackstaff Tower. When I picked up Blackstaff later this year, I was surprised and very pleased to see the re-emergence of two of my all-time favourite NPCs (a certain diabolic duo, as it were). With friends who thought that playing D&D was much to nerdy for them, I've been living the world through the novels for many years. I know that many people were upset over the turn that 4th Ed. took, and I was too, but the worst part of the transition for me was knowing that no more would be written about those characters that seemed to be coming back into the spotlight.

Whether Ashemmon was your idea or WotC's, I wanted to thank you for bringing him truly to life and answering at least a couple questions. I'll forgive for creating tons more. =p And I may indeed have to think about writing them to ask for more.

Thank you very much, again.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2008 :  02:49:03  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jokes and fun aside, I do hope a few more people chime in here (and in related forums) to let us know your reactions to the book, what you liked (and what you didn't).

Steven

An excellent read Steven. As others have said you did a great job of mixing the new with the old. There were some chapters where I felt like I was back in 1987 reading the through the old Grey Boxed set.....we need more of that! Kind of sad to see Laeral dead, I was hopping she would be one of the sisters that survived. Can't wait to read some short stories involving the exploits of these characters in the new Waterdeep.

Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2008 :  06:35:28  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Magic felt more like 3.xE than 4E, which may be expected when they don't give the author access to the new rules .

I think it says a lot that Skeptic (Bizarro-me, or am I Bizarro-him?) thought the magic felt 3.X while I thought it felt 4th.

The reason I felt it was more 4th was because of what seemed like 'at-will' powers instead of them feeling like spells.

Why did you feel the opposite, Skeptic?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2008 :  23:08:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

An excellent read Steven. As others have said you did a great job of mixing the new with the old. There were some chapters where I felt like I was back in 1987 reading the through the old Grey Boxed set.....we need more of that! Kind of sad to see Laeral dead, I was hopping she would be one of the sisters that survived. Can't wait to read some short stories involving the exploits of these characters in the new Waterdeep.

Cheers!

Would you mind telling me where it's stated that Laeral's dead? I'm only asking because I've been having trouble finding the answer to this.

Thanks in advance.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 29 Sep 2008 23:53:38
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2008 :  13:13:10  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1 Burning question : Vajra is from Tethyr and her aunt's last name was Gyrfalcon-Thann.

Is Varja Danilo and Arilyn's Grandaughter?(or other descendant)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2008 :  13:20:10  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And before I open Mistshore, It was great to see Tsarra again if only briefly. I really like how she grew in the last book and was nice to be given a glimpse of her time as the Blackstaff when you hinted at how she handled herself when her illusion as Khelben was broken and all his enemies came a calling! Even know where and when she died was nice to read.

I like the hint of a re-imagined Moonstars as something not directly under the Blackstaff's control, but as a group that could in time stand on it's own.

I really wanted to see the "walking statue" kick major a$$, but was more than compensated for by the pack!

P.S.

And in my best Christopher Walken Voice all I have to say is this :

"I gotta have more Ompahr!!"

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  03:13:36  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Cheers!

Would you mind telling me where it's stated that Laeral's dead? I'm only asking because I've been having trouble finding the answer to this.

Thanks in advance.

Chapter 20, page 236.

Renaer mentions himself learning from krehlan's parents. Krehlan replies "How did they teach you? You weren't alive in either of their lifetimes, and fathers spirit occupies another of your friends just now".

Hope that helps :)
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  20:46:38  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I think it says a lot that Skeptic (Bizarro-me, or am I Bizarro-him?) thought the magic felt 3.X while I thought it felt 4th.

The reason I felt it was more 4th was because of what seemed like 'at-will' powers instead of them feeling like spells.

Why did you feel the opposite, Skeptic?

They were not "at-will" spells, but spells cast by sorcerors?

It felt 2e/3.Xe to me because "utility" spells didn't feel like 4E Rituals.

Edited by - Skeptic on 30 Sep 2008 20:46:50
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  20:55:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Chapter 20, page 236.

Renaer mentions himself learning from krehlan's parents. Krehlan replies "How did they teach you? You weren't alive in either of their lifetimes, and fathers spirit occupies another of your friends just now".

Hope that helps :)

Thanks.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  13:37:39  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originaly posted in the ch 10-19, but fits better here:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Yeah, that was enjoyable on many levels! My favorite may have been when Ten-Rings throws out a threat and Ompahr just flat out lies when he tells him if so he'd best do it soon as he will likely pass anytime
And big kudos to you Steven for including a Gnome as Khelben's confidant in Blackstaff sucession. I was happy to see the halflings all through the beginning of the novel and was just pleased as punch when you added in some Gnomes for good measure!

Well, once I heard the gnomes had been removed from the Player's Handbook, I decided I wanted to have a gnome confidante of Khelben's both for color and for longevity. Ompahr's a reminder that not everything has been changed...nor has everything been forgotten over the past 105 years. If you look hard enough, you can find Friends of Khelben or other personages all over the place, and not just among elves.

As for Madrak and family, what can I say? I wanted someone to be both Jeeves and Alfred for Renaer and my head that day told me he was a halfling. <shrug> Honestly, if there were a market for it, I'd be scribbling a Madrak short story one of these days....and an Ompahr one after that....

Steven

I thought that line of thinking may have influenced his "appearance". I just hope we get a chance to see the "fireworks" through his eyes later

Something that is just outstanding about this book, is the way it seemlessly flows with what has came before, it could easily be tweaked and would fit into any time period. Feels just like your other works.(which is why 4e or no, this book was a must buy because, yes we do expect that much from you!)

P.S. Oh I think there is a Market for both short stories my friend!
But why stop at a short story eh?

How about Ed Greenwood Present Waterdeep: The Warrens by Steven Schend???

I know I would buy it.
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

How about Ed Greenwood Present Waterdeep: The Warrens by Steven Schend???

I know I would buy it.

Yeah. I'd write that. It'd be fun and I could wrap up some ideas I'd had for Undermountain....or perhaps play with the Dungeon of the Crypt and the Blue Alley for a bit.....hmmm.......

Steven

****excellllllent.....my plan is proceeding as I hoped******

In all seriousness, I think that book would be huge! Who's ear do we need to tweak to get the ball rolling Steven?

I think newer readers are and will be continued to gravitate towards you because you write about time honored well established characters The Blackstaff, whoever that may be at the time, Khelben, Laeral and Waterdeep(yes I thik of the City as a character which I am guessing you may as well). But in this humble scribes opinion(and I think many will agree) where you shine as a writer is in the new characters and places you create. They do not seem to be "throwaways" to you. Every one feels loving, painstakingly crafted to fit into your tale. In fact they are "carved" in such a way that I think they are the most important to your tales. Blackstaff Tower would have been just as good if you had Khelben's grandson return as the "new" current Blackstaff or ayone else for that matter. But for me the story would not work without Foxhal, Vharem (sp?), The servants with their special tunnels, that the Open Lord cannot fit into! (That was priceless, his rant on them!), hells even the dwarf tunnel masons! Anyone could have held those items in trust for Khelben, but you created a old, fiery, half-deaf Gnome who just jumped off the page and into my imagination. I could go onand on, but I think the point is made.

I love to see growth, it is fun to watch authors writings mature as they do, but you were always good, very good. This novel (for me), is on a whole new level for you, its just fantastic! I cannot wait to see what you do next for "our" Realms. I do hope you get to write a story about the Warrens though, if you like. I think that with a blank canvas like that, you are sure to paint a masterpiece for all to enjoy.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 01 Oct 2008 13:42:17
Go to Top of Page

FunkeeC
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  23:09:16  Show Profile  Visit FunkeeC's Homepage Send FunkeeC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to jump in and express my appreciation for this book. I just recently completed Blackstaff and was hoping that this would be a nice bridge between the 3e/4e and I was correct. I did like, as most do who read this apparently, the great amounts of lore and info that connect this story to the many that came before. It was a nice touch to learn what happened to the characters introduced in Blackstaff. I hope to see more written about our new characters as well.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  16:36:40  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This book made me feel rather misty-eyed. I loved that part where the spirits of former Blackstaffs first appeared. It's so good to see that Khelben and Kyriani aren't gone completely. About Krehlan; what happened to his murderer? Did the following blackstaff incinerate that scum?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  16:42:51  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe he did. I think it was touched on (very) briefly in one of the discussions in the book about the various Blackstaffs.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  15:20:57  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

This book made me feel rather misty-eyed. I loved that part where the spirits of former Blackstaffs first appeared. It's so good to see that Khelben and Kyriani aren't gone completely. About Krehlan; what happened to his murderer? Did the following blackstaff incinerate that scum?

Yes, Ashemmon avenged his life-long friend's murder quite handily in one of his few times where he was "less than politic."

And I'm not overstating this--Ashemmon was born about seven months after Krehlan and his sister were, and all three children were among a large number of children born in Rhymanthiin between six months and a year after the rising of the City of Hope. Alas, more details on the fates of those children fall regrettably under the NDA....

SES

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  15:26:49  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Yes, Ashemmon avenged his life-long friend's murder quite handily in one of his few times where he was "less than politic."

And I'm not overstating this--Ashemmon was born about seven months after Krehlan and his sister were, and all three children were among a large number of children born in Rhymanthiin between six months and a year after the rising of the City of Hope. Alas, more details on the fates of those children fall regrettably under the NDA....

SES

Revealing that tidbit was as evil as a drug dealer giving out 'free tastes'.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 14 Oct 2008 15:27:28
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000