Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Death of Gods, my conversation with Ed
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  13:03:45  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I had the pleasure of speaking with Ed about a plethora of topics relating to the Realms while at GenCon. I think my brother was getting flustered with all the questions I was inundating him with and thus he was quick with pointing out that I could just ask the man himself. Ed was gracious enough to field a question I had relating to devout (and divine) followers of gods who may have fallen or have been slain. Specifically, the topic was piqued by my curiosity relating to one of my favorite Realms god who slain; Helm. I wanted to know what happened to his followers following his death and how that was handled.

Ed spoke of the Realms gods as an extremely political metaphysical embodiment that constantly vies for followers. He explained that in these situations it would not be uncommon for another similar god to use the opportunity to take in the additional follows under their wing. In many cases they (a given god) could adapt this process to make it appear that Helm may not indeed be slain but that it was his will that he continue under the banner of [Insert New God Here].

I thought it was fascinating and wanted to spark a conversation with the community relating to this. Of course there was much more to this than I described above, but that part stood out.

Thalos_Milathriel
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  03:12:17  Show Profile  Visit Thalos_Milathriel's Homepage Send Thalos_Milathriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool that you got to talk to "tha man" about this. Hope you thanked him for birthing the Realms in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  04:03:33  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep; this process he described is known as "interloper deity." Happens all the time in Faerun. Tiamat grant spells to morons worshipping spheres of annihilation, for example, passing herself as the "Entropy Goddess." Gond is known as Nebelun in gnome circles, and Tymora pretends to be a halfling goddess in Luiren. Cyric/Bane/Myrkyl/Xvim/Bhaal/Kelemvor have exchanged portfolios so many times I have actually lost track of things (well, now it's Cyric, Bane or Kel, unless you're using the Servant of the Fallen feat...) etc. etc. etc.

Yep. It's pretty much a bunch of intergalactic politics...
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  12:58:28  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's answered one or two questions of mine in years gone by in which he suggested that some deity would step in to offer a counterfeit of something which was technically a no-no in the Realms (such as the divine spell stealing ability of Ur-priests). Aside from the "normal" Realms gods, greater demons and devils and Madness deities are always quick to step up to offer "forbidden" powers.

Just going through Ed's old answers and searching for the word "god" can be enlightening.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  15:14:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rustybeard
Specifically, the topic was piqued by my curiosity relating to one of my favorite Realms god who slain; Helm.

I hear you--I was fond of Helm, myself.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Neil
Learned Scribe

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  16:21:02  Show Profile  Visit Neil's Homepage Send Neil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Rustybeard
Specifically, the topic was piqued by my curiosity relating to one of my favorite Realms god who slain; Helm.

I hear you--I was fond of Helm, myself.

Yeah. I loved Helm as the stalwart guardian of the planes, even if I had issues with some of his worshippers sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  20:42:03  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Liira or Tymora did something similar to this during Waukeen's absence. I can see Torm taking Helmites under his wing.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  20:45:56  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I think Liira or Tymora did something similar to this during Waukeen's absence. I can see Torm taking Helmites under his wing.

Lliira held Waukeen's portfolio in trust when Waukeen tried to circumvent Ao's rules during the Time of Troubles and find a 'back way' into her divine realm. She was held captive by Graz'zt for some time as a result of her action (a couple of years I think).
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  23:39:14  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

quote:

Lliira held Waukeen's portfolio in trust when Waukeen tried to circumvent Ao's rules during the Time of Troubles and find a 'back way' into her divine realm. She was held captive by Graz'zt for some time as a result of her action (a couple of years I think).

Ah yes that was it. Thank you. That darn BG 2:ToB game threw me a piece of misinformation yesterday with that darn Priest of Waukeen saying Tymora was answering his prayers (unless he actually believed it himself).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  00:56:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's explained in Faiths & Avatars, Faiths & Pantheons, and the For Duty & Deity adventure module.

F&A pg. 176:- "Her priests were deprived of their spells, and many of her worshipers and churches turned to other faiths."

And:- "Finally, in 1365 DR, a prophet of Lliira appeared with a revelation that was interpreted to mean Waukeen was dead and banished from the Realms and would not return. The prophet of Lliira appeared at the gates of each of the temples of Waukeen in the Realms on a series of days, transported by magic. At each stop, the prophet said that Lliira would hold the portfolio of Waukeen in trust as its regent and grant spells to the worthy."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Neil
Learned Scribe

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  01:30:51  Show Profile  Visit Neil's Homepage Send Neil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Torm is eating up faiths left and right, it seems. He got Tyr, Helm and probably a few of Lathander's and Ilmater's worshippers. Maybe even a few of Siamorphe and Nobanion's ex-followers.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  22:47:54  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amaunator used to be the law deity back in the days of the original Netheril. I could see him taking some Tyrans to his faith these days.

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  10:16:50  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think Bane would tolerate that.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  13:50:40  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he said "Tyrans" = "followers of Tyr". "Tyrants", Bane can have to himself. ;)

Edited by - Vangelor on 28 Aug 2008 13:51:43
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  14:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are probably right, I have misread the post.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  12:18:31  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh yes... Amaunator "the man" Just introduced a powerful artifact from the time of Netheril a great book of prayor given directly from Amaunator to his clergy. What I dont understand is just how, mortals so often are resurected, or ad least have the possibility, but gods? They just seem to die! How is that???
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  12:24:43  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are either slain by another god or they dy of neglect by their mortal worshippers. This is the case with Amaunator. His worshippers blaimed him for doing nothing to prevent the catastrophe of Karsus' folly (rightly so, but he could do nothing because magic was not in his "contract") and deserted him. A millenium later he lost his realm on Mechanus and died, drifting in the Astral Plane.

Varl

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  14:30:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Ahh yes... Amaunator "the man" Just introduced a powerful artifact from the time of Netheril a great book of prayor given directly from Amaunator to his clergy. What I dont understand is just how, mortals so often are resurected, or ad least have the possibility, but gods? They just seem to die! How is that???

Gods have the possibility of being resurrected. It just doesn't happen as oft.

Bane apparently came back from the dead. Torm was resurrected by Ao. Auppenser is close to but not quite dead, so he could come back. Moander is dead, but there's a possibility for his resurrection. And in the Shattered Realms, the once-dead (sorta) Amaunator is back.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  22:40:40  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems to me that in order to res a god, you've gotta be able to tap into some massive deific mojo. So this DM would have to rule that AO's got to do the resurrecting if the god can't do it on their own: See Bane / Xvim. Though, anything's possible...and as I write this post I'm getting a little inspired. A mortal res'ing a god as a quest...ooo.....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000