Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 B-series in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2008 :  19:49:33  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, so the title seems a little strange, but I couldn't find a better way of saying it.

Has any of you used the old B series of adventures from OD&D in the Realms? I was planning to reuse them some time soon and just got curious about other peoples experience with these.

The last time I used them I placed most of them in the mountains around Cormyr and the areas around. I am wondering if maybe the Moonsea could be an alternative this time. Hillsfar under the old council could be a good "safe area" as I used Arabel and Tilverton earlier.

I am looking forward to running these adventures again. It has been years now and reading them again I remember how much fun it was the last time.

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2008 :  20:13:02  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only have B3: Palace of the Silver Princess. I never used it as I couldn't see how if fits in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Shottglazz
Acolyte

Canada
49 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2008 :  21:36:07  Show Profile Send Shottglazz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used B1, B2, B3, B4, B6 and some of the X-series in the Realms a few years ago...I placed them North of Dagger Falls, near Mount Tesh. A short trek to Anauroch sufficed for B4. I'd considered the Delimbyr Vale (spelling?) as well...

Shottglazz

"Take my love, Take my land, Take me where I cannot stand;
I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  00:56:01  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

I only have B3: Palace of the Silver Princess. I never used it as I couldn't see how if fits in the Realms.

Heh, I actually dropped it (years and years ago) in the Vast Swamp, as a swamped citadel of ancient Orva (which, at the time, I presumed had been an elven kingdom). I modified the adventure somewhat, adding some new hooks and made the BBEG a spellcasting wraith, IIRC. Anyway, the PCs made it through the module, but never found the 'Lady's Heart'...

Of course, I added a lot of FR flavour into the adventure, including a lot of pieces from Cormyr's history (e.g. multiple references to Ilyphar Nelnueve). I think that it worked surprisingly well, in the end.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  14:15:47  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

Heh, I actually dropped it (years and years ago) in the Vast Swamp, as a swamped citadel of ancient Orva (which, at the time, I presumed had been an elven kingdom). I modified the adventure somewhat, adding some new hooks and made the BBEG a spellcasting wraith, IIRC. Anyway, the PCs made it through the module, but never found the 'Lady's Heart'...

Of course, I added a lot of FR flavour into the adventure, including a lot of pieces from Cormyr's history (e.g. multiple references to Ilyphar Nelnueve). I think that it worked surprisingly well, in the end.

Interesting. What did you do with Ariksbane and its rider?

For the first time since working my self half to death with Priapurl I am actually tempted to write some Realmslore.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  16:20:40  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Time to have some fun with Realmslore again. I decided to do some quick notes on using B3 Palace of the Silver Princess in the Realms. Bare in mind that this is more or less a brainstorming over the books, so some lore-glitches might happen. Feel free to comment and criticize. Beware of course of spoilers.

I will use the version found in B1-9 In Search for Adventure as I never got around to buying the original green covered version. The original version (free from Wizards page) is very different and a bit on the strange side so it would need more work.

The module can be placed in most areas of the Realms as long as one has a small relatively secluded settlement. The module says a valley, but that is hardly necessary. A few of the monsters might be a bit out of place in the southern realms though. In the central Realms the Storm Horns and Thunder Peaks fit well. The Orsraun mountains of Turmish would be perfect if you want a less developed area. I will go with the Cormyr idea here.

The instigator of the adventure is an Immortal in the module. Now, in the Realms that would be some sort of divine being. As the immortal in question is the protector of the valley, and not of the most powerful kind, I think it would be a better idea to have it be some sort of spirit instead of a deity.
Another possibility is that the Immortal is an ancient mage or lich. In Cormyr he could be an ancient Netherilian or a mage of the Survivor States. To include the appearance of the bard Rowena it could be a good idea to have him inhabit an old magical hideaway (see Volos Guide to All Things Magical). The power of the Ruby keeps him from acting directly with this world. The hideaway might be affected by the extradimentional powers in ways that makes time flow differently within than in the Realms. This will give you the explanation both to the mages age and to the fact that Rowena is alive and unchanged after all these years.

Now, if one is to use Cormyr a suitable settlement is needed. One could of course make ones own, but as an alternative there is always Volo's Guide to Cormyr. In the Thunder Peaks Yeomans Bridge could be used. It is a small settlement where very little of interest happens, and where the bridge is the most important landmark. But if we go to the Storm Horns there is a settlement that I think fits the adventure perfectly.
Huthduth is a small keep in a small wooded valley. It is a small monastic community devoted to Chaunthea, but the victims of the curse might as well be monks as nobles. In many ways it is better as the solitary nature of such a settlement will make it more logical that others have not yet acted against the Ruby. The devastation of the surrounding lands are not much worry for the rest of Cormyr either.
There are also rumours of a slumbering power within the vale that guards the area. There we have our wizard or spirit. In addition there are abandoned dwarf mines in the area. This fits the plot perfectly as the Ruby is found and given by a group of dwarves. These dwarves, led by one Vapryn Undiruer, can be descendants of old Oghrann that have travelled to the area from the Well Caverns under The Far Hills(see Dwarves Deep)to search for the lost treasures of their forefathers. OK so it is a cliché, but it works.

Now, the plot of the adventure centres around the gemstone known as My Lady's/Lords Heart. In reality this ruby is an evil artefact named the Eye of Arik. When the dwarves took it up from the deep mines and gave it to the monastery the ancient being was again able to work its powers.
The name Arik should of course be substituted with the name/nickname of whatever Realmsian being one would want to use. The stone might hold an ancient wizard or demon, but in that case the priests must serve another master with interests in seeing this being released. The name substitute should then of course also be done to the Sword of Arik and Ariksbane. There are also inscriptions in room 48 and 71 that needs to be changed. Other possibilities are Gargauth with his Eye symbol, Jubilex or a half forgotten deity from before Cormyrs time. One could even change the dwarves from unknowing tools of the Ruby to more sinister servants of Abbathor who, paranoid about their treasures, decide that the monks must be removed. Knowing the legend of the ruby from ancient writings they offer the gem as a gift knowing that the blight will only affect the surface lands and therefore be of little threat to them.
The Eye itself has taken over the monastery/castle and attracts monsters to serve it. This gives one a good excuse to include whatever monsters one want within the keep and the valley surrounding it. None of the creatures included in the module are out of place in the mountains surrounding Cormyr. Some thoughts should be given to Catharandamus and the evil priests serving the Ruby. Are they tied to some divine power tied to the gem or are they serving another power who has interests in the gem and its powers? Banites and Zentharim are of course always a possibility.

Along with the locals caught in the curse of the gem there is also the rider that arrived the night before. This character, Ellis, in the adventure a knight of the White Drake, should be a bit modified to fit the Realms.
He rides a white dragon named Ariksbane in the adventure, this creature is one of the three possible weapons against the Ruby. The dragon is also one of the elements in the adventure one should think about. One thing is that the dragon is extremely more powerful in all other versions of the game than OD&D. This isn't necessarily a problem, as it is not the meaning that the characters should fight him. He only appears for a short moment (if at all)and then does not act against the characters, but it will give the characters a very powerful future ally in Ellis.
Another thing to remember is that the white dragon is a neutral creature in OD&D, in the other editions most players will be a bit skeptical of anyone riding a chaotic evil dragon.

Now what to do about Ellis? The first thing is to change his name of course. If you want him to be low-level one can make him a paladin and Ariksbane his horse. A bit boring, but easy. He could be a dwarven champion from the Far Hills. The dwarves are known to ride giant bats in their caverns, so that could be an alternative version of Ariksbane. Of course, one must find some logical way for a bat to harm the gem. Then again, if the dwarves are air-riders to begin with he can just as well have befriended a dragon. This version is especially fitting if the other dwarves are servants of Abbathor.
For even more intrigue Ellis can be a servant of Auril, sent by the goddess when she detects the presence of the gem, a threat so great that even helping the monks would be acceptable. This would make his bond with the white dragon more logical. In that version he can also be given a Winter wolf as an alternative mount.
If you have the Myth Drannor box sett you could take a look at Emrock Uerngulphim and his Snow Ray Vheem. The slightly insane trader could have personal reasons to involve himself in the curse of the Gem. If you want your players to head to Myth Drannor in the future this character could be a useful link to the ruined city. Again, remember to change the name of the Snow Ray.

Whatever mount you choose for the knight, remember that it should have some logical way of destroying the gem. This makes griffs, griffons and wyverns less suitable, but a dragonne is perfect.

Additional notes.
The bard Rowena, who shares the realm of the Immortal, is another of the keys to destroying the gem. She could be a character from Cormyrean legends that disappeared mysteriously or a Harper that the organization has thought dead for years. She could be the source of other rumours of treasures or further plots involving the Harpers. Her Harp of Ice is detailed in the adventure, so this item could be developed anyway the GM wishes.

The two thieves Candella and Duchess. The meeting with these two in the keep itself is rather unnecessary. A better use for them would be to let the PC's meet them in the valley itself or wherever the players start they adventure. They can be rivals for whatever reward they have been promised. Freeswords, harpers or zentharim. These NPC's can be used anyway the DM sees fit.
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  17:02:01  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, thanks for the ideas . It's been awhile since I last read the module but I think I can use it as a little side quest while they are in Cormyr (currently playing Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave). Maybe Shar could somehow be involved, or their nemesis Tyranthraxus could make an unexpected comeback... I'll think on it.

As for that dragonrider, it could be a paladin of Lathander and could befriend the cleric/paladin of Lathander in our group or could even be a paladin of Chauntea. As for the dragon, I don't know... I like to keep a dragon as mount, so maybe a silver dragon or something. I'll brainstorm on it when I come back from vacation .
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  23:28:36  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

quote:

Interesting. What did you do with Ariksbane and its rider?

For the first time since working my self half to death with Priapurl I am actually tempted to write some Realmslore.

Ariksbane I renamed Catharandamus (the BBEG cleric in the original module) and both it and the rider had been originally evil, and later "redeemed" through their actions (I can't recall if they were good or evil in the original module -- it was so many years ago). Anyway, Catharandamus the dragon had been captured by elves, and sent into the ancient past when Orva fell (There was a magical painting depicting the final battle, which served as a "time portal" -- one of the PCs almost stepped into it). The dragonrider had been the consort of the last elven princess (heir or Orva, who came seeking her legacy) -- a knight of Anauria, IIRC -- who fell in love with her. NOTE: I had presumed that Orvan ruins preceded the time of Thauglor and even the Fall of Netheril -- that's why it was "Ancient History" by the time the Survivor States arose from the ashes of Netheril.

Without consulting my old notes and the original module, that's about what I recall about it all.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  23:32:00  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jorkens, *two* of the PCs in that particular campaign were actually dwarves from the Far Hills (they originally seeked the treasure buried by their ancestor under the village of Gorthin, and met the others PCs there).

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  10:00:29  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow, thanks for the ideas . It's been awhile since I last read the module but I think I can use it as a little side quest while they are in Cormyr (currently playing Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave). Maybe Shar could somehow be involved, or their nemesis Tyranthraxus could make an unexpected comeback... I'll think on it.

Another impossibility would be to tie it to the Queen of Air And Darkness (see Monster Mythology 2ed.). The plot of the module bares resemblances to the myth of her and the Black Diamond. The dragon rider can then have ties to Faerie and the Spirit can be a demipower of the same place protecting the area from an ancient corruption made by the evil Faerie queen.

quote:
As for that dragonrider, it could be a paladin of Lathander and could befriend the cleric/paladin of Lathander in our group or could even be a paladin of Chauntea. As for the dragon, I don't know... I like to keep a dragon as mount, so maybe a silver dragon or something. I'll brainstorm on it when I come back from vacation .

I should note that a Silver dragon makes the pair even more powerful though. The trouble is that all dragons are more powerfull than the white dragon.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  10:09:11  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ariksbane I renamed Catharandamus (the BBEG cleric in the original module) and both it and the rider had been originally evil, and later "redeemed" through their actions (I can't recall if they were good or evil in the original module -- it was so many years ago). Anyway, Catharandamus the dragon had been captured by elves, and sent into the ancient past when Orva fell (There was a magical painting depicting the final battle, which served as a "time portal" -- one of the PCs almost stepped into it). The dragonrider had been the consort of the last elven princess (heir or Orva, who came seeking her legacy) -- a knight of Anauria, IIRC -- who fell in love with her. NOTE: I had presumed that Orvan ruins preceded the time of Thauglor and even the Fall of Netheril -- that's why it was "Ancient History" by the time the Survivor States arose from the ashes of Netheril.

Without consulting my old notes and the original module, that's about what I recall about it all.

That gives one even more ties to Netheril. The gem itself could easily be tied to one of the mages that fled the fall of Netheril, maybe with an artifact to powerful for him to handle. The Ruby might even have had a roll in the fall of Anauria itself. This could lead a more powerful group into a longer campaign where they follow the Dragon Knight back to the ruins of Anauria searching for some long lost secrets. They might even enter the time portal themselves somehow.

One thing that is never discussed in the original module is the motivation of the dragon rider and why he comes at just this time. This gives one quite a few possibilities to deepen the plot of the adventure.

Thanks for the information.
PS the dragon and its rider where neutral in the original module.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  17:39:17  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Heh, I actually dropped it (years and years ago) in the Vast Swamp, as a swamped citadel of ancient Orva (which, at the time, I presumed had been an elven kingdom). I modified the adventure somewhat,

Great minds etc......

I ran a shortish mini campaign game for two new players set in and around the time of the Witch Lords, and had the PotSP as a living breathing place at the time As they played through the game, it was destroyed by water elementals summoned by the Witch Lords which then became the Vast Swamp. Liberty was taken with place names and history and they never knew it was in 'Cormyr' or indeed the date, I just used the Roll of Year names, not numbers to identify the timeframe.

A few years later (RT) and into the current game with new characters set in Cormyr c1380DR and the party is tramping through the swamp and see the remains of the Palace and the two (now experienced) players, said oh my god as they started to explore the first few rooms! it was a priceless moment as they realised their old characters had been involved in the History of Cormyr at a critical point.

The B modules are great to place in and around the Realms and offer a different style of adventuring and playing styles to modern modules.

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 17 Aug 2008 17:42:58
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  17:47:25  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea and backstories mentioned.

I prefer to have it in and around the Thunder Peaks, simply because you can then link in the Rahasia module as a settlemtent in and around Lake Sember to give a longer campaign arc crossing from a Moon Elven realm into a Gold Elven realm with different 'morals and social mores' to challenge the players perespectives of what Elves are actually like.

Just my thoughts

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 17 Aug 2008 21:47:17
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  17:53:34  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I should note that a Silver dragon makes the pair even more powerful though. The trouble is that all dragons are more powerfull than the white dragon.

Why not tie it in with the Dragon Cult? So we get to keep the white dragon, make the Knight evil, but they have to work with the party to destory the eye of Arik as it unleashes something even the CotD don't want released - it would make for some interesting moral choices for the players (assuming their characters are good)?

Alternatively, use a scaled down silver dragon, or maybe an Ed special (were-dragon, electrum dragon etc), which gives the DM plenty of elbow room to make the dragon an appropriate level for the game (without rule lawyering players grumbling........).

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  18:14:32  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:

Why not tie it in with the Dragon Cult? So we get to keep the white dragon, make the Knight evil, but they have to work with the party to destory the eye of Arik as it unleashes something even the CotD don't want released - it would make for some interesting moral choices for the players (assuming their characters are good)?

Alternatively, use a scaled down silver dragon, or maybe an Ed special (were-dragon, electrum dragon etc), which gives the DM plenty of elbow room to make the dragon an appropriate level for the game (without rule lawyering players grumbling........).

Cheers

Damian

If I were to run the module today I would probably keep the Dragon as a white dragon. The evil parts of its nature are simply held in check by its relationship with the knight. This would make it more or less chaotic neutral, as long as it is well fed the rider will have it under control. how ever, if a situation occurred where the dragon was left to his own decisions the situation could get very dangerous.

Both the Dragon Cult idea and the Auril idea will, if used, put the players in a somewhat difficult position when it comes to further helping the knight. If his quest against the Ruby is part of a larger scheme then the final goal might be part of a plot the players will be called upon to stop.

The same goes for his marriage to the princess, if the original nobles are kept. Him arriving at the time of the ruby's curse might be part of a more sinister ploy to be married into the Cormyrean noble class.

I am curious about one thing, both you and Asgetrion put the adventure in the swamps, so what was the effect of the ruby on the lands surrounding the castle? Or did you use a different motivation to pull the players into the adventure?
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  21:46:27  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I am curious about one thing, both you and Asgetrion put the adventure in the swamps, so what was the effect of the ruby on the lands surrounding the castle? Or did you use a different motivation to pull the players into the adventure?

Hi Jorkens

To clarify:
Originally (some time before 900DR though the exact year is not set in stone) it was the Green Valley a small ribbon of farmed land surrounded by the great wood that stretched "as far north as the ice moutains where the dragons dwell". The wood 'past the fields we know' was where the faerie lived and frolicked and the Silver Princess was but a legend, a myth, the queen of the fay. What was (to become) the Witch Lords decided to remove her and used summoned water elementals to flood her land and destroy the Green Valley. The Gem was part of their plan however, the two players thwarted the gem from releasing whatever was trapped within it, but the unbound elementals did enough damage to eventually destroy the Green Valley over several years and therefore help what is now the Vast Swamp grow bigger. Over time the swamp has got bigger and bigger and all traces of the Green Valley are gone, except for the rotting ruins of the Palace now set firmly within the northern half of the swamp.

As I said, lots of liberties with canon history and game mechanics was taken by me to tell a story with two inexperienced players and let them get a feel of the grandeur of playing a role-playing game.

I borrowed heavily from Lord Dunsany's novel 'The King of Elflands Daughter' to evoke a faerie realm just the other side of that field as well as a general nod towards Jack Vance's Lyonesse books including the fay, magicians, and quarreling Kings (in my campaign they were Cormyr, Esparin, Immeresk and the Witch Lords).

So it wasn't set in the swamp, but the swamp has moved north and continues to do so, swallowing up acre after acre of land on its march towards the Hullack, I am hoping that my current group actually figure this out and try to discover why the swamp is getting bigger!

Hope this helps

Cheers

Damian
ps Jorkens given your Candlekeep name am wondering if you are a fan of Lord Dunsany (and his Jorkens series of books?).

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  08:56:29  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I am a Dunsany fan, and a Vance fan to for that matter. The Jorkens stories have, unfortunately proved to be somewhat difficult to get a hold of, although I did recently order the 2nd volume of the collected stories. I chose the name more out of whimsy and as a joke concerning the unreliability of any Realmslore I submitted to the cite. Besides, only a Dunsany fan would see the joke of calling myself Kib.

Tying the back story to the ancient faerie lands would also make a version tied to the Queen of Air and Darkness work better.

Do any of you mind if I try to collect and structure these ideas a bit and hear if Alaundo would want it submitted to the archives? With co-acknowledgements of course.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  09:42:25  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tying the back story to the ancient faerie lands would also make a version tied to the Queen of Air and Darkness work better.
Do any of you mind if I try to collect and structure these ideas a bit and hear if Alaundo would want it submitted to the archives? With co-acknowledgements of course.

Thats ok with me, if you need any more info then just ask.

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  22:04:28  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Heh, I actually dropped it (years and years ago) in the Vast Swamp, as a swamped citadel of ancient Orva (which, at the time, I presumed had been an elven kingdom). I modified the adventure somewhat,

Great minds etc......

I ran a shortish mini campaign game for two new players set in and around the time of the Witch Lords, and had the PotSP as a living breathing place at the time As they played through the game, it was destroyed by water elementals summoned by the Witch Lords which then became the Vast Swamp. Liberty was taken with place names and history and they never knew it was in 'Cormyr' or indeed the date, I just used the Roll of Year names, not numbers to identify the timeframe.

A few years later (RT) and into the current game with new characters set in Cormyr c1380DR and the party is tramping through the swamp and see the remains of the Palace and the two (now experienced) players, said oh my god as they started to explore the first few rooms! it was a priceless moment as they realised their old characters had been involved in the History of Cormyr at a critical point.

The B modules are great to place in and around the Realms and offer a different style of adventuring and playing styles to modern modules.

Cheers

Damian

Now that you mention it, I recalled that in my adaptation the spellcasting wraith had been a Witch Lord, also! I think he had fled to the Palace, and been eventually killed by Lord Othorion's elves? Something like that. Oh, I also recall giving him certain powers that he could tap via the Gem...

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  22:11:05  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Cheers

Damian

Hmmm... Dragon Cult or the Church of Auril? Just thinking aloud... anyway, good ideas, Jorkens and Damian!

Jorkens, maybe the 'Eye of Arik' could be 'Eye of Ghaunadaur' in the Realms? Can't think of a much more evil and revolting deity than That Which Lurks, *plus* his/its/her symbol is naturally an eye!

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  00:11:21  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hmmm... Dragon Cult or the Church of Auril? Just thinking aloud... anyway, good ideas, Jorkens and Damian!

Interestingly my current campaign in and around the Thunder Peaks is to do with Auril Clerics and their membership in the CotD, they are poking around trying to find some lost relic of the past.......

Odd that

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  11:25:19  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jorkens, maybe the 'Eye of Arik' could be 'Eye of Ghaunadaur' in the Realms? Can't think of a much more evil and revolting deity than That Which Lurks, *plus* his/its/her symbol is naturally an eye!

The idea of Ghaunadaur struck me earlier. If one where to use a Forgotten Realms deity as the antagonist he would fit the role perfectly. In addition he is one of the few beings that almost all gods and organisations are weary of.

I had another idea. The Eye could also have ties to the Dragonking's Eye. The summoning abilities and the captured divine being are both similar to this artifact. Maybe a lesser fragment of the god was captured in this gem. Or it could be that his spirit was separated into several gems to reduce his power enough to trap him in the stones. The Black Diamond that corrupted The Queen of Air and Darkness might be another fragment. A whole campaign can be based around stopping the pieces from being gathered together for a ritual that would relies the deity.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  11:29:16  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Cheers

Damian

Any idea that turns up in your mind. I will try to collect and edit the ideas we have put forward here into some sort of whole and I will then post the finished result in this thread so that you can add or remove anything if you wish. For example I more or less pasted yours and Asgetrions posts under the heading of time travel as examples of how the adventure could be used in that context.

It should take me a few days to finish however.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  13:19:56  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers

Damian

Any idea that turns up in your mind. I will try to collect and edit the ideas we have put forward here into some sort of whole and I will then post the finished result in this thread so that you can add or remove anything if you wish. For example I more or less pasted yours and Asgetrions posts under the heading of time travel as examples of how the adventure could be used in that context.

It should take me a few days to finish however.

Oh, that sounds great! BTW, now that we keep discussing this subject, I recall more and more about said adventure and its impact on the campaign. The original "lure" I used was related to a dwarf that had got his hands on an elven map that lead to the place (unfortunately, he died in the adventure) *and* a green hag who appeared as an elf (she coveted the Lady's Heart) and helped them to find the place. I seem to recall that I also included a Grell Patriarch (and his bullywug minions) as another "main antagonist" (in addition to the trapped wraith Witch Lord).

Then there was a half-elven fighter, who was related to Sparusia, and sought her blade (I think this was also a hook in the adventure?). In reality, she was being manipulated by the Zhentarim (actually "The Lovelies" -- the gang of ogre mages in Arabel, see VGtC -- whom the Zhentarim had hired).

I can't recall if the PCs met her party or not, though... now, come to think of it, I don't think the PCs managed to find the Lady's Heart at all.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  19:11:18  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have been thinking about this and if I was to run B3 again I would do the following.

Campaign based in 892DR.
I would keep the dragon rider and the white dragon as is. Disturbed by the works of Sammaster, they learn of his quest to find artifacts of power, one of which is the Eye of Arik. So with the aid of the adventurers (PC's) they suceed in destoying the artifact and thwarting the evolving Cult of the Dragon this time. Due to the ongoing struggles against the CoTD and the Witch Lords the elves seek sanctuary across the Thunder Peaks near Lake Sember. They ask the PC's to help guard them and this leads nicely into B7 Rahasia.

I would keep the dragon as white purely for the moral issues of working with evil against a greater evil. The Dragons of the North have no wish to become undead (as per Sammaster), yet they desire the power of ruling, so they are forced into working with others to stop Sammaster and the CoTD before he "kills us all and turns us into flying bones controlled by mere humans".

I have posted up some more info here about the Vale and the timeline of events.

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 21 Aug 2008 23:13:52
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  21:18:10  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should be finished with the first draft tomorrow evening. Its done now, but I need the cool head of a librarian to look over my dyslectic ramblings. In other words I need my partner to have a look at it and make your lives easier.

I have included the comments made by you and Asgetrion until now and when I post it tomorrow I would appreciate if you had any changes/comments/additions/critical comments to make. I will include this last post in the final draft if I don't get the time tomorrow.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  20:04:58  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Palace of the Silver Princess in the Realms.

By Jorkens, Crazedvenurer and Astegeirion

Introduction.

B3 Palace of the Silver Princess by Jean Wells and Tom Moldvay is a part of the legendary B-series for the Dungeons and Dragons. First published in 1983 it can be found in three versions. One, the “orange” version was pulled shortly after being published(but can be freely downloaded from WotC's page),, the second version the “green cover version” is the one commonly found. This version was reprinted more or less complete in the collection In Search of Adventure. This last version will be used as a basis here.
The main object of this little piece of writing is to, just for fun, see what one can do with one of the old pre-Realms modules and play around a bit with some Realms lore. In other words just have some fun with the game and the setting. This is not a conversion, so no comments on the rules and details of the module itself will be given.

Setting.

The first question is of course where in the Realms to put the module. As the module itself takes place within a castle it is relatively open to any surroundings you would want. Some nearby hills and mountains are useful as dwarven mines play an important part in the intrigue/background. There should be some settlements in the area, so that the curse of the ruby will have a visible effect. The monsters in the module could fit anywhere, but a temperate climate would fit best.
Logical areas for this module ( and the rest of the B-series) is Cormyr and its surrounding lands. The mountain chains of the Storm Horns and the Thunder Peaks both have large areas of wilderness and could easily contain a relatively isolated valley settlement such as the one where the module takes place. Another possibility is to set the adventure in an area near a more inhospitable terrain such as a swamp or the desert of Anauroch. The original text says that the Ariks Eye, the cursed ruby that the plot centres around, puts a blight upon the land, destroying the fertile valley, but the catastrophe might just as well come from another threat, such as the drought from the desert or the spreading water of the swamps. The areas north of Arabel, bordering the Stone Lands or the Vast swamp are both perfect in that regard. Alternatively one can cross the mountains and put the module in the Tunlands if you and your players are weary of the more civilized Cormyr. Other good alternatives are High Dale (especially for a bit higher level versions of the module), the Dalelands in general,if you want ties to the modern elven lands and links to adventures concerning the elves(such as Rahasia, B ) and the interior of Turmish by the feet of the Orsraun mountains.
If you want to tie the module to existing settlements in the Realms the Volo Guides are as always a great source for smaller settlements that can be further developed by the DM. Yeomans Bridge in the foothills of the Thunder Peaks is a good example. It is a small settlement with an old stone bridge as its most important landmark. It has a legend about an ancient sorceress that can be used as a tie both to the ruby and to the Immortal (discussed later).
In the Storm Horns one can find the settlement of Huthduth, which in my opinion is an even better fit. This small settlement, Huthduth is a small keep in a small wooded valley. It is a small monastic community devoted to Chaunthea, but the victims of the curse might as well be monks as nobles and the princess. In many ways it is better as the solitary nature of such a settlement will make it more logical that others have not yet acted against the Ruby. The devastation of the surrounding lands are not much worry for the rest of Cormyr either.
There are also rumours of a slumbering power within the vale that guards the area. There we have our wizard or spirit. In addition there are abandoned dwarf mines in the area. This fits the plot perfectly as the Ruby is found and given by a group of dwarves. These dwarves, led by one Vapryn Undiruer, can be descendants of old Oghrann that have travelled to the area from the Well Caverns under The Far Hills(see Dwarves Deep)to search for the lost treasures of their forefathers. OK so it is a cliché, but it works.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  20:06:58  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Time/planar travel

Another possibility used in Realmsifying the adventure is to include an element of time travel. The Dragon Knight and his steed is somewhat anachronistic for the Realms at the moment, but what if he is a warrior of ancient Netheril or one of the Survivor States, called into this time to stop a threat that has been hidden since his own lifetime. One can also turn it around and have the PC's traveling back in time through a gate to find the source of troubles in the modern Realms.
To give you a couple of examples of this I quote from Crazedventurer: “ I ran a shortish mini campaign game for two new players set in and around the time of the Witch Lords, and had the PotSP as a living breathing place at the time”
“I borrowed heavily from lord Dunsany's novel 'The King of Elflands Daughter' to evoke a faerie realm just the other side of that field as well as a general nod towards Jack Vance's Lyonesse books including the fay, magicians, and quarreling Kings (in my campaign they were Cormyr, Esparin, Immeresk and the Witch Lords).”
“Originally (some time before 900DR though the exact year is not set in stone) it was the Green Valley a small ribbon of farmed land surrounded by the great wood that stretched "as far north as the ice mountains where the dragons dwell. The wood 'past the fields we know' was where the faerie lived and frolicked and the Silver Princess was but a legend, a myth, the queen of the fay. What was (to become) the Witch Lords decided to remove her and used summoned water elementals to flood her land and destroy the Green Valley. The Gem was part of their plan however, the two players thwarted the gem from releasing whatever was trapped within it, but the unbound elementals did enough damage to eventually destroy the Green Valley over several years and therefore help what is now the Vast Swamp grow bigger. Over time the swamp has got bigger and bigger and all traces of the Green Valley are gone, except for the rotting ruins of the Palace now set firmly within the northern half of the swamp.”
“As they played through the game, it was destroyed by water elementals summoned by the Witch Lords which then became the Vast Swamp. Liberty was taken with place names and history and they never knew it was in 'Cormyr' or indeed the date, I just used the Roll of Year names, not numbers to identify the timeframe.”

“ few years later (RT) and into the current game with new characters set in Cormyr c1380DR and the party is tramping through the swamp and see the remains of the Palace and the two (now experienced) players, said oh my god as they started to explore the first few rooms! it was a priceless moment as they realized their old characters had been involved in the History of Cormyr at a critical point.”

Another idea, this time from Asgetrion: “I actually dropped it (years and years ago) in the Vast Swamp, as a swamped citadel of ancient Orva (which, at the time, I presumed had been an elven kingdom). I modified the adventure somewhat, adding some new hooks and made the BBEG a spellcasting wraith, IIRC. Anyway, the PCs made it through the module, but never found the 'Lady's Heart'...”

“Of course, I added a lot of FR flavour into the adventure, including a lot of pieces from Cormyr's history (e.g. multiple references to Ilyphar Nelnueve). I think that it worked surprisingly well, in the end.”

“Ariksbane I renamed Catharandamus (the BBEG cleric in the original module) and both it and the rider had been originally evil, and later "redeemed" through their actions (I can't recall if they were good or evil in the original module -- it was so many years ago). Anyway, Catharandamus the dragon had been captured by elves, and sent into the ancient past when Orva fell (There was a magical painting depicting the final battle, which served as a "time portal" -- one of the PCs almost stepped into it). The dragonrider had been the consort of the last elven princess (heir or Orva, who came seeking her legacy) -- a knight of Anauria, IIRC -- who fell in love with her. NOTE: I had presumed that Orvan ruins preceded the time of Thauglor and even the Fall of Netheril -- that's why it was "Ancient History" by the time the Survivor States arose from the ashes of Netheril. “

As I will show later, the ties to old Netheril can be many. The cursed gem itself could easily be tied to one of the mages that fled the fall of Netheril, maybe with an artifact too powerful for him to handle. The Ruby might even have had a role in the fall of Anauria itself. This could lead a more powerful group into a longer campaign where they follow the Dragon Knight (there is more to come) back to the ruins of Anauria searching for some long lost secrets. They might even enter the time portal themselves somehow. The castle itself, the characters and the Eye can all be natives of the old kingdom or its descendants. The same goes for other periods of the Realms. The Eye might contain the last scream of a High Mage of Myth Drannor and his madness might cause anyone coming in near contact with him to be pulled into the gem and thereby transported back in time to the last moments of the mages life. To be transported back the soul of the wizard must be placated in some way. The same plot can be used to take the players back to the Crown wars if this is what you wish.
The idea of using elements of Lord Dunsany is particularly interesting when you think of the role time and the fate of ageing plays in many of his short stories. Attempts by the protagonists or the npc's to change the inevitable doom of Netheril or Myth Drannor would fit perfectly with such a tone.
In the same way as different times and ages can be the setting for the adventure, there can be plenty of adventures tying the gem to different worlds and planes. It might have ties to the Black Diamond of faerie lore, be a lost part of the Greygem of Krynn or be the last avatar of a deity who still remains in its sentient form in one of the outer planes. The text of the adventure says that the gem captures the nobles and turns the court to stone, but it might just as easily transport these to another dimension or world.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  20:08:01  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plot.

Now, the plot of the adventure centres around the gemstone known as My Ladys/Lords Heart that a group of dwarves has found in one of their mines. In reality, this ruby is an evil artifact named the Eye of Arik. When the dwarves took it up from the deep and gave it to the castle (or monastery if you use my Huthduth idea) the ancient being was again able to work its powers.
The Eye itself has taken over the monastery/castle, captured its inhabitants and attracted monsters to serve it. This gives one a good excuse to include whatever monsters one want within the keep and the valley surrounding it. None of the creatures included in the module are out of place in the mountains surrounding Cormyr. Some thoughts should be given to Catharandamus and the evil priests serving the Ruby. Are they tied to some divine power tied to the gem or are they serving another power who has interests in the gem and its powers? Banites and Zentharim are of course always a possibility.
The name Arik should of course be substituted with the name/nickname of whatever Realmsian being one would want to use. In the original the gem has clerics among its servants and from the text it seems likely that it is the gem itself that gives them their powers. Now, the stone might just as well hold an ancient wizard or demon, but in that case the priests must serve another master with interests in seeing this being released. An interesting idea would have it the be the Living Gem of Calimshan that has teleported northwards after the disaster a few years back. It is of lesser power at the moment, but that can soon change.
Remember that the name substitute should then of course also be done to the Sword of Arik and Ariksbane, unless you want a bit more subtle hints as to how the players should destroy the gem. Maybe the names are tied to the real name of the artifacts inhabitant, another name that the players will need to find to solve the riddle. Again, this all depends on how much you want to develop from the adventure. There are also inscriptions in room 48 and 71 that needs to be changed.
Another possibility, I mentioned briefly above, would be to tie it to the Queen of Air And Darkness (see Monster Mythology 2ed.). The plot of the module bears resemblances to the myth of the fallen deity and the cursed Black Diamond. The dragon rider (discussed later)can then have ties to Faerie and the Spirit (again, later)can be a demipower of the same place protecting the area from an ancient corruption made by the evil Faerie queen. This can lead to travels both in time and the planes. A whole campaign can be based around stopping the pieces from being gathered together for a ritual that would relies the deity. Other possibilities are Gargauth with his Eye symbol. This deity, universally revealed, is ideal if you want to have the characters make allies that usually would have nothing in common with them. Auril is a good example of this, especially with all the ties to frost and cold that can be found within the module. Jubilex or a half forgotten deity from before Cormyrs time are other alternatives.
One could even change the dwarves from unknowing tools of the Ruby to more sinister servants of Abbathor who, paranoid about their treasures, decide that the monks must be removed. Knowing the legend of the ruby from ancient writings they offer the gem as a gift knowing that the blight will only affect the surface lands and therefore be of little threat to them
If you want the eye to be a realmsian artifact instead of a deity or other supernatural creature, then the Living Gem would as mentioned be an alternative. The Eye could also have ties to the Dragonking's Eye (See Volo's Guide to All Things Magical for both of these items) . The summoning abilities and the captured divine being are both similar to this artifact. Maybe a lesser fragment of the god was captured in this gem. Or it could be that his spirit was separated into several gems to reduce his power enough to trap him in the stones. The Black Diamond that corrupted The Queen of Air and Darkness might be another fragment. A whole campaign can be made out of the quest to hinder these fragments from being collected again in an attempt to summon the Dragonking back to his full power.

And how do the characters get themselves involved in all this? The instigator of the adventure is an Immortal in the original module. It is this being that asks the characters to go against the cursed gem, it will also help them within its limits. In the module it does not know that the gem is the source of the curse. Now, in the Realms an immortal would be some sort of divine being; there are plenty of gods to choose from of course and in many ways the decision relates to what the nature of the gem is. I should note that the immortal in question is the protector of the cursed valley, and probably not of the most powerful kind, I think it would be a better idea to have it be some sort of spirit instead of a deity. Remember that the Immortal is being overpowered by the gem, so it should be somewhat weaker than the inhabitant of the gem, but not to much. As always it is a question of balancing the elements.
You can easily turn most of the suggestions given for the Ruby around and base the Immortal on these. For example, if you want something of a non-divine nature, is then the Immortal is an ancient mage or lich. In Cormyr he could be an ancient Netherilian or a mage of the Survivor States, even a member of the ancient Witch Lords..
One important note. If you are to include the appearance of the bard Rowena, another of the possible helpers the players will meet in the castle, it could be a good idea to have the wizard inhabit an old magical hideaway (see Volos Guide to All Things Magical). His power is then not that important, as the power of the ruby keeps him from acting directly with this world. With such a hideaway the mage might be affected by the extradimentional powers in ways that makes time flow differently within than in the Realms. This will give you the explanation both to the mages age and to the fact that Rowena is alive and unchanged after all these years. With faeries, spirits and divine beings it is easier to explain the ageless bard, of course. I should mention though, that the bard is not essential for the adventure, as she is just one more method of destroying the gem. You can easily just remove her from the adventure, but I think she adds a bit of magic to the whole setting myself.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  20:09:40  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Characters.
In addition to the two great powers that are of both sides of the pc's there are also a few other characters involved in this module. Some, like the doppleganger, the medusa, werewolf Ahla and the lich are simple encounters that you can develop into interesting side-quests. Others, such as the human Npc's demand a closer look, although most of them have a very little role in the adventure.
The inhabitants of the vale and the castle are given little attention in the adventure, so if you want the Pc's to have prior connections to the inhabitants or have them stay in the area after the adventure. it might be a good idea to do some thinking about the personality and motivation of some of these. As the adventure starts the inhabitants of the castle has already fallen under the curse, so there will be little interaction with these until the curse is lifted. Then the princess Argenta herself, her court mage and all the others will awaken. As there are to many possibilities here, depending on what road you choose for the adventure to take.
In addition to the locals caught in the curse of the gem there is also a foreign traveller that arrived the night before that has been imprisoned. I am now talking of course about the dragonrider I mentioned earlier. This character, Ellis, in the adventure a knight of the White Drake, is rather more interesting and we should therefore have a closer look at him. Especially since he might need a bit modification to fit in the modern Realms.
He rides, as is natural from the name of his order, a white dragon, who has also been captured by the ruby. The dragon is named Ariksbane in the adventure and is one of the three possible weapons presented in the adventure to aid the characters against the Ruby. Now, here is one of the elements of the adventure you should think about for a while. For a white dragon in the Realms is quite a bit different from the dragon presented here One thing is that the dragon is extremely more powerful in all other versions of the game than OD&D, so it might not fit a low level adventure such as this. This isn't necessarily a problem, as it is not the meaning that the characters should fight him. He only appears for a short moment (if at all)and then does not act against the characters, but at the least it will give the characters a very powerful future ally in Ellis and there is of course no way of telling what a group of players might think of that might create a combat situation with the dragon..
Another thing to remember is that the white dragon is a neutral creature in OD&D, in the other editions most players will be a bit sceptical of anyone riding a chaotic evil dragon. If you think you will have a hard time convincing them that the dragon is not a threat, then it might be a good idea to change him into another creature or at least do something to confuse the players about the species of the dragon.

Now what to do about Ellis himself? The first thing you should do is to change his name of course. and that would of course depend on the region and race you pick for him, so I can give few suggestions on that. But more importantly, who and what is he? The adventure gives few hints with except that he is Argentas fiancé and his name and order, so here some imagination is needed. Let's look at a couple of alternatives.
As there is so little concrete to work with you can just as well change him into whatever form suites your idea for the adventure. Ariksbane should of course change accordingly. If you want him to be a “normal” realmsian character that is more or less in the same league as the characters, then you might make him a low-level paladin and Ariksbane his warhorse. A bit boring, but easy and without to much lore needed to explain his appearance and motivations. He had a warning from his deity that he was needed and travelled to the valley. Short and sweet.
But if you want to make Ellis into a major plot-hook for further adventures and maybe spark the players curiosity, then the possibilities really start to open up. For example; he could be a dwarven champion from the Far Hills who has been warned about the danger his countrymen are about to loosen on the region. And, as the dwarves of the Far Hills are known to ride giant bats in their caverns, you have a natural substitute for the dragon that fits perfectly into Realmslore and still seems strange and exotic to the players. Of course, you must find some logical way for a bat to harm the gem, a wing buffet seems a bit unlikely for some reason. Whatever mount you choose for the knight, remember that it should have some logical way of destroying the gem. This makes griffs, griffons and wyverns less suitable, but a dragonne is perfect. Then again, if you want to keep the dragon and if the dwarves are air-riders to begin with, he can just as well have befriended a dragon in travels to the north. This version of the champion is especially fitting if the other dwarves are servants of Abbathor or if there are dwarfs among the characters themselves.
If you are the type of DM that likes lairs and lairs of intrigue there is always the possibility that Ellis is as evil as his dragon. Ellis can be a servant of Auril, sent by the goddess when she detects the presence of the gem, a threat so great that even helping the monks would be acceptable. This would make his bond with the white dragon more logical. In that version he can also be given a Winter wolf as an alternative mount. Or he might be a demonic creature called to gather the gem for his master, who plans to dominate the artifact and use it for his own aims.
Or if you have a more romantic inclination there is always the possibility that Ariksbane is in some way cursed into this form and now has little memory of his/her earlier form. Ellis, determined to stay with his friend/lover etc. is forced to go along with the dragons somewhat crude and greedy plots. Such as its plan to steal the jewel he heard about from a captured dwarf. In his original form he was fated to destroy the gem, but as the dragon he is now more interested in keeping it for his hoard. Ellis might be talked into helping the characters to deceive the dragon, but only if they help him lift the curse afterwards.
And now I have a last suggestion that allows you to use one of the more interesting npc's from official lore. If you have the Myth Drannor box sett, you could take a look at Emrock Uerngulphim and his Snow Ray Vheem. The dragon and the knight could be substituted by these with very little fuss. The slightly insane trader could have personal reasons to involve himself in the curse of the Gem. If you want your players to head to Myth Drannor in the future this character could be a useful link to the ruined city. Again, remember to change the name of the Snow Ray.

I earlier mentioned the bard Rowena, who shares the realm of the Immortal. The bard is another of the keys to destroying the gem. She only appears for a short moment to give the players a hint concerning the Harp of ice, coming out of the realm of the Immortal where she has spent the time since her mysterious disappearance. She is therefore not strictly necessary in the adventure, as there are at least two other methods that can be used. But I think that her appearance is a good opportunity to introduce some further adventure hooks or links to future allies. She could be a character from Cormyrean legends that disappeared mysteriously or a Harper that the organization has thought dead for years. She could be the source of other rumors of treasures or further plots involving the Harpers. Or she can be an inhabitant of some long dead kingdom or people, that has lived outside of time for generations. Her knowledge of such a period could be a treasure in itself for the Pc's, if they can convince her that so much time has passed. Without putting her in a state of shock that is.
The cursed guard Travis is another minor character you can use to ensnare the characters in various plots. He is a member of the guards that has fallen under the curse of the gem and will try his best to kill the pc's. Most likely he will be killed during the adventure, but will his friends and relatives accept the characters' story? If the module is placed in Cormyr he might have been a minor noble or rich merchants son serving in the Purple Dragons for a short time and his influential family is not happy about what has happened. If the players with time rise in importance within the Forest kingdom they will find themselves involved in quite a few political intrigues where Travis' family do their best to blacken the PC's names. Even before that a grieving fiancé or a enraged sibling might hire assassin to track down the group, convinced that their act was murder.
The last two characters I should mention is the two thieves Candella and Duchess. The meeting with these two in the keep itself is rather unnecessary. A better use for them would be to let the PC's meet them in the valley itself or wherever the players start they adventure. They can be rivals for whatever reward they have been promised. Freeswords, harpers or zentharim. These NPC's can be used anyway the DM sees fit.

Magic.

In addition to the various minor magical items found within the castle there are several items of note in the adventure:

The Harp of Ice is not given much detail in the adventure, so this item could be developed anyway the DM wishes. It could be a major artifact or a minor trinket. It could even be that the harp is the real goal of the plots against the valley. The instrument itself might hold the key to open a gate to a Netherillian tomb, be a long lost relic of Auril or a magical charm lost by the Shoon emperors during their battles with the early kings of Cormyr.
The same goes for the Sword of Arik, which has as its fate to destroy Arik (along with the dragon, the sword and the tones from the harp). But what else is there to say about the sword. Where did it come from and is its role fulfilled with the destruction of the gem?
Silverhearts Necklace. If the players have fallen under the curse of this item future adventurers will be needed to lift the curse. As both the alchemist who owns the item and the ruby itself has been destroyed this should include quite a bit of magical research on the part of the players.
Last, but not least there is the gem itself, but I think it is safe to say that under no circumstances should the PC's get control over the artifact. If they do plot to use it for their own gain they would be in more problems than this simple adventure could detail.

Maybe Crazedventurers whole conversion as an example of how this can be done could be added here?
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  20:14:54  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And that's what I have.

I must admit that I am not comfortable with rewriting what other people write, so I would like some input on how/where to include the notes from your versions Asgetrion and Crazedventurer. But from what I have seen these should definitely be included. I have no trouble with changing my own writing, so mention any changes you think would help.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000