Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Movie
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  07:10:49  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
HAH HAH! Sorry about the false alarm, but lets do our own Casting Call.

What if we were all part of the casting team for an FR movie? Who would you have play the characters?

Use any forgotten Realms character you like, and just give the actors name. If they need makeup try to explain how. Feel free to debate casting options as well, as this is the point of a casting crew. Just assume we can use the same techniques as Lord of the Rings and other movies (i.e. people like John Ryse-Davies can play dwarves)

Ok I will start:

Khelbun 'Blackstaff' Arunsun : Sean Connery
Alternately, Sean Connery could be King Azoun IV

Aznar Thrull (Zulkir of Evocation) : Patrick Stewart
The Simbul : Cate Blanchett
Lady Alustriel : Gwynneth Paltrow
Bruenor Battlehammer : The Scottish actor from Braveheart that was Hammish's father, and had the Arrow plucked form his chest.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  07:14:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An interesting choice Mournblade, and a good idea as well. I want to put some thought into this, but I don't have a lot of time at the moment, so I will try and post something later.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  21:11:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like Hymn beat me to it -- by that much.

Of course, that thread was a more serious one . . . this is just a "if you had your druthers" topic. I once read one for another beloved book series of mine.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  05:21:10  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arilyn Moonblade : Angelina Jolie

King Obould Many Arrows: Michael Clark Duncan (with makeup of course)

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  05:42:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since this is just daydreaming, we don't have to stick with current actors.

Elminster: Tom Baker (the Fourth Doctor) -- he was the first one I could think of to pull off that wizardly charm.

Danilo Thann: Cary Grant (from the midpoint of his career)

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  07:16:54  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would cast Richard Harris or Peter O'Toole (sp) as Elminster

Can we also include descriptions of the characters they would take on, not everyone knows who some of the mentioned characters are

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  07:44:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm said -
quote:
Elminster: Tom Baker (the Fourth Doctor) -- he was the first one I could think of to pull off that wizardly charm.

An excellent choice Bookwyrm, and one I agree 100% with.

Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  16:02:04  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Khelban- Jonathan Franks (Riker from Star Trek)
Elminster- Christopher Lloyd or the Actor who was Magneto in X-man. His name escapes me at the moment
Eliath Croulnabar (sp)- Orlando Bloom
Wulfgar- The guy that played Sabertooth in the X-men movie
Alisair Obyskar- Angelina Jolie

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  16:08:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AraznBlair said -
quote:
Elminster- Christopher Lloyd or the Actor who was Magneto in X-man. His name escapes me at the moment

That would be Ian McKellen, who also portrayed Gandalf in the LotR trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  16:29:07  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh thanks Sage, I thought there was a similarity.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  17:31:43  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Since this is just daydreaming, we don't have to stick with current actors.

Heh... he's still around... and if i recall right... he played the old elf in Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings. He has grey/white hair now instead of the brown... and yes i can somewhat see him as Elminster... but which version? Old Elminster with Long beird and pointy hat... or the newer one for 3/3.5E with the bald spot and still a bit of dark hair?

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  07:28:06  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know he's still around; he played the elven healer in Dungeons and Dragons. I didn't recognize him until he smiled; they'd fitted him with very different hair than what I'm used to seeing him in. However, I don't think I understand what you're talking about with Fellowship. I believe I would have noticed him if he had a speaking part.

As for his role, I'd say old Elminster. The one who sat on the hill with Alias, pretending to be just an old man. That was one of my favorite Elminster scenes.

Arazn, I'd thought of both of those; however, Ian McKellen is too obvious, and Christopher Lloyd, I think, is better off in a more serious sort of role. He'd do a good Khelban.

As for the rest, good choices, very good.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  07:57:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The actor to portray Wulfgar is indeed a difficult one to decide. I cannot seem to come up with any good possibilities on this.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  09:04:42  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sean Connery as Azoum IV is a very good choice.
And sorry if it's a little common but Liv Taylor as Arylin could be great... (haaaa, Arwen!)
Wulfgar could be played by Sharzenegger (sp?) even if i don't like him much, i can't see anyone else.
For Alusair, i'd prefer Monica Belucci to Angelina Jolie.
For Drizzt and Regis i don't have any idea...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  09:11:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I disagree with your choice for Wulfgar zemd, but only because my reasoning is coloured by the fact that many people would probably see Wulfgar as a 'new' Conan.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  09:38:50  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's also what i think. But as i think about it, i can't find an actor who could play Wulfgar. As i said, it'd be a bad idea.
First the conan relation and then because i don't think that Shwarzenegger could handle such a role (after all he was far from good in Conan IMO)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  10:03:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps this would be one of those times when producers would use a 'new' actor to fill the role, or maybe someone lesser known.

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Jul 2003 10:04:07
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  10:41:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plus, Shwarzenegger is too old for Wulfgar, who if you'll recall is supposed to be very youthful in his actions . . . .

Of course, like I said, this is daydreaming . . . we're using anyone from anytime in their careers . . . so we could choose Shwarzenegger when he's really young. But then we'd have to deal with his accent. It's just waaaaaaay out of place, I'd think.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  10:46:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention the fact that you would probably have 1000's of interpretations on barbarian speech patterns and accents.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  10:48:42  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, Liv Tyler . . . I have to say I'm very tempted. She played a very good elf, I thought. I think she could do an Arilyn pretty well. Certainly I thought that she did a better elf ranger than elf maiden.

'Course, it would tick off an eleven-year-old I know. He hates her. He's a diehard LotR fan, and many's the time I've (tried) to explain to him the reasoning behind using her character so much. However, he thinks that she's worthless, even in the little part that Tolkein gave her -- much less Peter Jackson.

So of course, we gave him a hand-drawn birthday card showing Arwen cutting the Ring from Sauron's hand, facing down the Balrog, and destroying the Ring. The caption was "One Arwen to Rule them all." It really annoyed him.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  14:22:58  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol @ bookwyrm

I was thinking about it, cast Denzel Washington as Drizzt

Halle Berry as Viconia

Sharon Stone as the Simbul - i dont know, but she might be able to pull it off

Alan Rickman as Khelben

i cant think of any specific characters, but Dame Judi Dench and Dame Maggie Smith should be something

Goldie Hawn as Storm Silverhand (perhaps when she was a bit younger)

Chaterine Zeta Jones as Alustriel or someone similar

and i would cast Sean Connery as Old Wolf (forget his full name)

cant really think of anyone for Peirgieron

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  17:17:56  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

I know he's still around; he played the elven healer in Dungeons and Dragons. I didn't recognize him until he smiled; they'd fitted him with very different hair than what I'm used to seeing him in. However, I don't think I understand what you're talking about with Fellowship. I believe I would have noticed him if he had a speaking part.

Ack... whoops... :P well at least i got the old elf part right :P i just my movies mixed up... considering you don't see many movies based on fantasy realms with ELVES... :P bleh... not to mention... i'm half outta it... these past few months have been rough...

*grins* and as for Wulfgar... how about 'The Rock'... or maybe some other wrestler, since WUlfgar is supposed to be big... and a lotta wrestlers are big...
*suddenly finds a place to dive for cover before flying objects come his way*

Edited by - Zacas on 10 Jul 2003 17:22:50
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  17:21:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'd thought that was what it was, but I wasn't sure. I just said that anyway, so that you could explain if I was wrong.

And don't worry. We can all pitch in and slap you upside the head if you slip up again.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  17:33:09  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I won't object to a wrestler if you can find one who can actually act (at least beyond that in-ring stuff they use to promote the "sport" ). I don't understand how it's so attractive to watch; it seems as bad as the unreality shows. It would be different if the fights weren't all staged, of course. I still wouldn't watch them, but I'd understand them better.

Now, I did see the "Rock" on a Voyager episode; he at least said his lines in a convincing way. I never saw his movie, so I can't pass real judgment.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 10 Jul 2003 17:33:46
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  19:05:57  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well some people like my bro and i find the prowrestling shows funny with their 'stories'... but ah well... I was just thinking The Rock since he's played a 'legendary warrior' already... tho his skintone is probably too dark :P but hey... they can do anything with makeup and computers...

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  23:07:58  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zacas

well some people like my bro and i find the prowrestling shows funny with their 'stories'... but ah well... I was just thinking The Rock since he's played a 'legendary warrior' already... tho his skintone is probably too dark :P but hey... they can do anything with makeup and computers...

I actually LOVE wrestling. I think it is campy and great, and it is a REAL LIFE Comic Book!

I love the ALAN RIKMAN as Khelben. Nice one there! And as much as I dislike Liv Tyler (I could of totally done without Arwen in the LOTR, pointless character indeed! I have to agree with your 11 year old friend) I could see her as arilyn Moonblade. Sean Connery is definitely Azoun IV.

Don't forget Thirteenth Warrior, there were plenty of swedish actors there who could do Wulfgar. Which one? Hmmm. I would say make up Bulvi to look younger and he would be perfect. Ofcourse he could be Wulfgar post-torment.

For Drizzt I only have an Idea... It seems someone on the physical shape of Jean Claude Van Damme or maybe Chow Yun Fat. Add some Black make up and a long white wig and think we are there!

Go to Top of Page

warduke
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  03:51:11  Show Profile  Visit warduke's Homepage Send warduke a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im going to take a shot at a few of these. First for Wulfgar I'm thinking of a different wrestler. Jean paul Leveque aka Triple H. He definatly has the look and has even been rumored to be up for the part of Conan's son in an upcomming film. Brad Pitt as Artemis Entreri, his roll in Kalifornia proved he can play an evil killer.

Lord Fzoul-Christopher Walkin just because. [:) Alias I'd like to see played by Angelina Jolie. Tom Baker would make a great Elminster. For Drizzt believe it or not I'm leaning toward John Leguizamo. Finally for the part of Jarlaxle Jason Isaacs who plays Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter movies. This guy Isaacs just exudes arrogent, cold blooded and devious.

Warduke the eternal Warrior. Let the rivers run red.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  09:46:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are some interesting suggestions warduke. I have to disagree though with the decision on Brad Pitt for Artmeis Entreri, even considering the role you had mentioned. Artemis would be an extremely difficult character to cast. The reason I think that this is so is because the 'killer' aspect of Entreri is far outweighed by his cold and calculating nature. I haven't really been exposed to alot of Brad Pitt's material, but I don't think that he could exude that type of personality.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  09:52:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt is another example of difficulty in casting. In fact this makes me think back to the various debates being discussed by fans on who producers were going to use to act as Drizzt when the FR Television show was still a valid idea.

I think for these types of roles, lesser known actors, or rising stars just starting out on their film careers are better choices since most audiences will have limited frames of reference with which to judge the actors ability to portray a role.

Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  18:18:14  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
brad pitt wouldn't need an FR movie :P for some odd, sick, and twisted reason, they stuck him as Capt. America in the upcoming Capt. America movie from Marvel..

Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  20:47:07  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea for Drizzt using Chow Yun Fat or even Jackie Chan. I know that jackie is older but his agility would be great for Drizzt. The skintone would be almost perfect, maybe a little darker and then the wig.

How about Antonio Banderas for Artimas. His movie "Desperado" was good and I think he did a good job in "13th Warrior".

I like the idea of Bolvin playing Wulfgar also.

How about Danny Devito as Vangerdahast. About the right shape.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000