Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ships
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maculo
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  16:35:45  Show Profile  Visit Maculo's Homepage Send Maculo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Seems my players want to try and construct a sky-ship with some of their newfound wealth and political powers. Anyway, are their any good sources on ship designs? Preferably something that can help us work out every detail.

They're aiming for a Galley or possibly a warship, and want the thing to work just as well on water as any other ship might. For those times when flying in on a giant boat might not be the best approach. =D

I'm clueless when it comes to anything nautical.

Most of my online searches either lead me to dead links or ancient RP/wargaming books printed in the 70's.

Thanks in advance.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  17:04:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both Sea of Fallen Stars and 2e's Of Ships and Sea will prove useful. Also, another useful source for information on particular ships in the Realms... is Port of Ravens Bluff which has an entire section devoted to specifically named ships of various types, and referencing their crews also.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  17:19:24  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Stormwrackhas the most complex and in-depth rules concerning anything nautical in 3e.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  18:45:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spelljammer also had pretty comprehensive rules governing the cost, construction, and details on flying ships - you just might want to leave off the part where it can fly through space.

You could base it off the flying ships from Halruua, but I'm not sure if they are also sea-worthy (which many Spelljammers are). I'm also not sure where to find rules on them, though - I don't think 3e's SS had any.

Or - and I'm ducking for cover here - you can borrow someone's Eberron rulebook and use the flying ships from there - they are powered by elementals, rather then SJ Helms or 'magical seashells'.

And as a side note - Halruuans are NOT comfortable with others having flying ships, but I know of at least two instances where they have sold them to other political entities (the Durparans and Lizardfolk!), and one where a dwarf was able to get an 'old one' flying again (Once around the Realms). In that story, the Dwarf was able to illicitly purchase an older model from a 'junkyard' for such things, which is illegal to do, but obviously gets done anyway.

And there is also a reference to magical flying ships being produced in the Utter East (south of Durpar), although no details were ever given - thats from the 'Old Grey Box'. In fact, I used the exact ship mentioned in my last CKC article (shameless plug).

--- Mark

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Jul 2008 18:46:54
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  00:08:19  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For d20 ship design I have used Pirate Isles, written for the Conan RPG, and I have taken some nautical magic (such as terrible ship figureheads) from Green Ronin's Pocket Magica, which has a lot of material originally written for Seafarer's Handbook and the Freeport campaign setting.

Pirate Isles is also useful for its "cargo" rules, which allow for profits from trading or from piracy by moving stuff from one place to another by ship. Using Pirate Isles is as simple as switching "Cormyr" for "Argos" and "Sembia" for "Zingara;" of course you may use whatever countries or ports fit better in your campaign, such as Waterdeep and Luskan. It also has rules for shipboard and ship-to-ship combat, and for mutinies, as well as the expected list of new feats.

Remember that Ed wrote many of the Spelljammer books, and some of them have ship information, as does the basic boxed set. If your players are taking to the air, you may find Realmspace by dale "slade" henson of considerable value. Among other things, the Spelljammer materials give the local laws for bringing flying ships to a given destination, e.g., it's illegal to overfly Waterdeep, and it is a serious crime to put down anywhere in the Shou empire except their designated spaceport. (Suggestion: don't use Shou Lung's spaceport unless you have a lot of ready cash to spend!)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  00:40:38  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shining South has the price and details for an Halruaan Skyship (400,000gp I think).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  01:39:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

And as a side note - Halruuans are NOT comfortable with others having flying ships, but I know of at least two instances where they have sold them to other political entities (the Durparans and Lizardfolk!)
The Halruuans may not be completely comfortable with the idea, but I'm sure they still understand the necessity of maintaining a worthwhile defense of their territory.

As I recall, the older Shining South tome tells us that the Halruaans guard the secrets of their skyships most zealously. As such, I think that you'd probably find that Halruaan wizards have indeed been assigned to "watch over" the skyships given over to the lizardmen -- both as a security measure (to prevent the secrets of the ship from being lost) and to deny the lizardmen from using the skyships in anyway they see fit.

Thus, I would tend to think that while skyships have been sold to the lizardmen, it's actually more about providing Halruaa with an added layer of defense for the region, and less about them being used in battle by the lizardmen. Afterall, the wizards of Halruaa likely wouldn't consider their treasured skyships, being the valuable military assets that they are, to be something wasted in "just any old battle." They would therefore, I believe, tend to select places of strategic importance around Halruaa itself, which would provide Halruaan armies deployed to such locations, with rapid troop transports and supply convoys, against threats on the borders of their realms, when required.

And of course, in 2e material for Zakhara, one of the skyships was stolen and taken to Zakhara.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  02:32:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which Zakhara source was that in Sage? I like to keep track of flying ships in FR.

You could also go into the Forest of Mir, and wait for one to land in Skyship Glade, and just steal it.

Of course, if the owners are Neogi, you might just wind up as lunch.

Another good place to commandeer one might be in Nimbral - Spelljamming vessels like to visit The Resort there.

I could have sworn I saw a reference to Cormyr and Spelljamming somewhere, but I'm looking at my Realmspace supplement right now and I'm not seeing it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Jul 2008 02:37:51
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  03:17:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which Zakhara source was that in Sage? I like to keep track of flying ships in FR.
Hmmm... I don't actually recall off-hand at the moment. And I'm not anywhere near my books to check. I'll take a look when I get home.
quote:
I could have sworn I saw a reference to Cormyr and Spelljamming somewhere, but I'm looking at my Realmspace supplement right now and I'm not seeing it.
You might be thinking of the fan-fiction on the "Beyond the Moons" website which features a tale of Cormyr having access to a small spelljamming fleet.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  14:50:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Hmmm... I don't actually recall off-hand at the moment. And I'm not anywhere near my books to check. I'll take a look when I get home.
No big - I just thought you knew off hand - I have most of the Zakhara stuff (thanks to Paizo's $4 downloads), so I can look myself - my first guess is that it would be in the Corsairs book.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
You might be thinking of the fan-fiction on the "Beyond the Moons" website which features a tale of Cormyr having access to a small spelljamming fleet.

You're probably right - I guess thats the big problem with reading so much fan-based stuff; sometimes you forget what's what.

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Jul 2008 14:51:23
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  17:06:05  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's Land of Fate* or City of Delights.

*I may have gotten this name completely wrong, I always confuse the names of the "lore" and the "rules" campaign books for Al-Qadim.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 05 Jul 2008 10:46:28
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2008 :  01:34:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

[quote]Originally posted by Markustay

It's Land of Fate* or City of Delights.

*I may have gotten this name completely wrong, I always confuse the names of the "lore" and the "rules" campaign books for Al-Qadim.

That's the one [I think]. I'll take a look when I get home.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2008 :  20:34:16  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Shining South has the price and details for an Halruaan Skyship (400,000gp I think).
I remember seeing it in 2 places, I think that Magic of Faerun was the second one.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000