Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Will you buy the 4th Ed.?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  10:35:25  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
The 4th Ed. Core books will be realesed this very month. The upcoming new setting has been debated hotly on these very boards. Out of curiosity I would like to know:

Will you buy the 4th Ed.?

I kept the answers to a simple yes/no vote to be able to get a better overview on the general mood here at Candlekeep. I encourrage all of you to explain your answers with a post.

Thanks for your participation!

Choices:

yes
no

(Anonymous Vote)

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 02 Jun 2008 10:36:16

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  10:38:21  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I start off on this one:

I voted no - the 4th Ed. has nothing to offer for an old gamer like me. After going through already 3 rules changes in my gaming career I am done with it....

Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  11:44:40  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I have seen and read 4e is not designed for the type of play that I prefer. So I voted No.

Edited by - arry on 02 Jun 2008 11:48:37
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  12:36:36  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted a big NO!

I have a very hard time recognizing the Forgotten Realms I have learned to love with the changes in 4ed. Spell plague and Thay destroyed, floating cities. Bhraa.. That’s not the realms I know….

I will continue with the 3.5 system and change the history without the 4 Ed changes.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  13:32:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually intended to buy the three core books, just to check them out and see what was worthy in the game. But I've been unemployed, so I didn't do the pre-order. And now that copies are out there and being reviewed, I've changed my mind. I'm not going to bother with D&D Extreme.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  13:43:11  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might. I'm playtesting tommorow with the quick play rules first. We'll see how that goes, but my current home campaigns are remaining 3.5E. 4E might be for something to do at work after work or during break.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  14:08:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was initially curious with some of the aspects of the 4e rules-set. But, after a rather lengthy discussion about 4e with my gaming group over the weekend, we've decided to remain with the 1e/2e/3e mish-mash rules system I've been using for the last 8 years. So for the time being, I won't be bothering much with 4e D&D, nor will I be purchasing the rulebooks. Maybe I'll buy them as a gift set later, and mainly because I'll probably still be curious. As it stands now, though, I simply have no desire to spend $120+ AUS on rulebooks I'm unlikely to use at the moment. I'd rather spend my hard-earned gold pieces on something I can, and will, use for my campaigns.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Jun 2008 14:10:37
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  14:27:55  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no, we'll remain with the 1e/2e/3e rules system, I read the new rules, it would be too boring to play like that, everything in 4e lacks ''story depth'' and basically all classes are the same just with a different name, it's like a video game manual
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  15:52:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've already preordered the three-book gift set...as a gift for myself. Doing it that way, I'm getting the books at a very cheap price.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 02 Jun 2008 15:53:21
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  16:11:07  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um, what about if we do not plan on buying it right away, but may buy it sometime in the future?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  17:33:54  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the poll is also a little confused, because there's a difference between the 4e ruleset and the 4e Realms. I'm assuming you meant the ruleset. I voted no, I like my 2nd edition, thank you very much, though I'll probably browse through the books at Borders or whatnot. And I'm *definitely* not getting the 4e Realms, though I promised Ed I'd at least read them, so I guess I'm stuck doing that.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Cyria
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  18:55:29  Show Profile  Visit Cyria's Homepage Send Cyria a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No. If this poll had it, I wouldn't even pick the "get the core 3" option that a lot of people choose. The more I heard, the more I felt this edition was removing too many of the things I liked about D&D. I'll borrow the core 3 eventually, but it might be some time until I get around to that: I browsed through them and they didn't grab my interest at all, so I won't be first in line waiting for the books to be passed around here. The MM is the only one I can see myself buying, if I feel I'd like to convert some of the new creatures in it. But there's plenty of 3.5 monsters left that I've never used.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  20:45:08  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Um, what about if we do not plan on buying it right away, but may buy it sometime in the future?

Sorry Hawkins, as I said above I wanted to keep the options very simple. If you want to vote on this one you gotta choose sides. [;p]

Edited by - Ergdusch on 02 Jun 2008 20:45:27
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  20:46:14  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I've already preordered the three-book gift set...as a gift for myself. Doing it that way, I'm getting the books at a very cheap price.

There is already a giftset available?? What a sales strategy!

Edited by - Ergdusch on 02 Jun 2008 20:53:05
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  23:41:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

There is already a giftset available?? What a sales strategy!

Yup--a set of all three books sold together.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2008 :  00:48:43  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to vote none of the above. I'm not planning on picking up 4th edition, but one of my former players ran a 4e game for us last Saturday (Keep on the Shadowfell), and if he wants a to get a campaign going, I kind of miss being a player from time to time, so I might be willing to pickup just the PH to play in his campaign.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2008 :  01:48:00  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am going to purchase the 4E version of the forgotten realms campaign setting, but not 4E general at this point. Maybe if I get and very, very cheap deal on ebay or something I will get them.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2008 :  02:58:19  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll buy the core books. The new game interests me. The 4e Realms is the abomination

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2008 :  08:08:07  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I think the poll is also a little confused, because there's a difference between the 4e ruleset and the 4e Realms. I'm assuming you meant the ruleset.

Actually I do mean any 4th Ed. stuff as I see the Edition as a whole. Even though there might be differences in the personal views towards the one or the other. YOu might like the rules change but dislike what the changes in the Realms. However, 4th Ed. Core and the 4th Ed. FR is still all '4th Ed.'D&D! Hence the aim of my poll question...

We might disagree on this. None the less, thanks for your vote.

Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 03 Jun 2008 08:10:41
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2008 :  11:41:14  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Ergdusch has clarified what he meant, I would like to expand my answer to say that while the 4e rules do not interest me, the 4e Realms is, in my opinion, a travesty that I want no part of.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2008 :  15:10:37  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

mdhprime
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2008 :  23:36:25  Show Profile  Visit mdhprime's Homepage Send mdhprime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted yes. I am actually looking forward to checking it out and seeing how well the streamlined play really works. I am also looking forward to the FR setting coming out in August. I know a lot of people are turned off by what they've heard so far, but I am looking forward to the change. I've been reading and playing FR for a very long time and I love what's come before but in my opinion it needed some shaking up. Just my two cents.
Go to Top of Page

BENTISTOS
Acolyte

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2008 :  08:33:09  Show Profile  Visit BENTISTOS's Homepage Send BENTISTOS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted yes. I and my group are trying 4E with Keep of the Shadowfell at the moment and even if I was more than sceptical last week, this week I liked the new rules quite well.
As for FR: I think I will buy the new FRCS too - if just to add it to my collection - but I don't think I'll ever play in these new realms.

Eternal Might I Was Born To Wield
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_dk
Acolyte

Denmark
13 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2008 :  15:58:45  Show Profile  Visit Ghost_dk's Homepage Send Ghost_dk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted no. I just started a 3.5 northern jouney campaign that will most likely last longer then 4e.

Sure you can see through a Ghost. Guess I'm the exeption to that rule.
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  19:19:58  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
not just no, but hell no. just for fun i picked up a 4e player's book, and i swear it was written in some foreign language. 3.5 now and 3.5 tomorrow.

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

silverwizard
Seeker

Greece
76 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  19:27:09  Show Profile  Visit silverwizard's Homepage Send silverwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, not a chance. I am hapy with my (lots of) 2nd edition and (quite few of) 3rd edition material.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  23:45:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've bought the 4E Core Rulebooks and have gone through the PH in some detail. A nice, gamer-friendly system IMO. Easy to learn, looks to be easy to play and lots of options for classes. My favourite class (wizards) have been toned down considerably, but I am sure that as more 'powers' are showcased in further rulebooks, they will develop the nuances they had in previous editions.

I am however more intrigued as to how the mechanics of 4E will translate into the Realms. Given that the Spellplague accounts for the changes to magic and the way casters now learn and cast their spells, I'm curious as to how this applies to magic items. This is the difficulty with in-game explanations for changes to game mechanics. For all its drawbacks, I was a fan of the 'it was always like this' proposition to account for rules changes as I was of the view that looking forward it didn't matter that a kiira had different abilities in 2E than it had in 3E, because the 3E write-up now was 'it'. With the transition from 3E to 4E being explained by the Spellplague, is the rationale in the new FRCG for changes in magic items stats and abilities going to be explained by the effects of that phenomenon?

I'm rather eager to find out as I had an article all ready to go for 3E that delved fairly deeply into pre-edition lore and sat quite well with 3E game mechanics. The change to 4E scuttled that article but I'm hoping to tranform it for the new edition. I've got the lore pretty much fixed in my head re changes to the Realms, but its the new game mechanics that are going to scupper me if anything.

Roll on August.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2008 :  01:28:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My preordered boxed set from Amazon is on it's way. I got it really, really cheap!

Go to Top of Page

Stonwulfe
Seeker

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2008 :  19:57:44  Show Profile  Visit Stonwulfe's Homepage Send Stonwulfe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Sigh* I do, with great reluctance, after having seen the final product admit that it makes a lot of sense. They have made some very genuinely intelligent changes, some of which I had accomplished myself via house rules. One such example is that wizards can use magic missile to their heart's content (my house rule stipulated that cantrips and first level spells were nigh-inexhaustible, being the simplest of magics but nearly useless at higher levels or against high-powered foes - a barrage of magic missiles will barely tickle a dragon). This is a refined system that will make it much, much easier to introduce new players.

However, they have sacrificed A LOT.

Much of the deep flavour and richness of the system has been lost, IMHO. The new 'powers' makeup of the system doesn't - at least at first glance - accomodate the players ability to create new and innovative spells, powers, feats, etc. This appears to be a very closed system, with little waste and elegantly designed, but also taking almost nothing innovative in or allowing for it. It is the absolute refinement of D&D, but like the Great White Shark, needs little room for improvement, or allows for it.

Edited by - Stonwulfe on 11 Jun 2008 19:58:57
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2008 :  21:48:30  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Varda
Acolyte

Argentina
11 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2008 :  23:41:02  Show Profile  Visit Varda's Homepage Send Varda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everybody. I vote "no". Why? Because when i read the book of a friend i said "WTF???". It's a really mess with classes and ... alignment "unaligned", what the...? And did you read the mess of gods? Bahamut, Corellon and a sort of new gods with gods stolen from another settings... D&D 4th it's nonesense! Where are the gnomes?! The island of Lantan will be disappear because the new rules? xD

Define the nature of the universe. Knowledge must be absolute or chaos will envelop all. The elemental forces of the universe must not be left to the caprices of the unknown

Edited by - Varda on 11 Jun 2008 23:44:52
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000