Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Golarion
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2008 :  21:21:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I think thats the name.

Its the new world being offered up by the guys at Paizo. Now, I realize it's not FR, but Ed has been given an entire region to devlop himself, and since Castlemourn is present in this forum section, I think it's fair to have this here as well.

So far, from what little I've heard, it sounds a lot like GH being 're-imagined' - in other words, it has a lot of reminscent elements from that setting, but with a complete makeover, so that they are more geared for today's gamer (in other words, no more dry, Middle-Earth/Medieval take-offs with little in the way of their own personality).

In fact, it sounds like GH's world, with FRs flavor poured onto it.

With a lot of FR old-timers working on it, like Ed and Elaine C., it seems that this may indeed by FR's successor, rather then 4e FR. Sure, it isn't Toril, but was it really the planet we fell in love with, or the setting itself? And what is a setting, other then a world that is presented in a certain way - which means if this 'Golarian' feels like Ed's FR, then maybe it can feel like home... again.

I started to design a Homebrew world to use next (with either 4e or pathfinder rules - still undecided), but after hearing about Golarian, it sounds a lot like what I was doing anyway. So now I'm going to wait a bit and see what this new world looks like and check it out.

The one thing I AM sure of at this point is that no matter what setting or world I use, a good deal of the NPCs, locales, and organizations from my old FR books are gonna find a home there. After all, those are the things that made me love FR, and if I have to move to a new world to keep using them, then so be it. In fact, I can really go to town now, and have Elminster and Khelben join the Circle of Eight.

Come to think of it, the 4e designers have inadvertantly opened up Pandora's box - if parts of Toril have 'gone missing', then why can't we play on whatever world they got off to? The Spellplague is the perfect opportunity to explain why Zhentil Keep is in my new world, or Waterdeep, or even Shadowdale. We can just say that all the things we like have moved - perhaps the gods opened up portals, and waves of people migrated from Toril when the Spellplague first hit. that way, the locales could be the exact same ones (shifted through space/time by the ebil Spellplague), or, conversely, just a brand-new locale built by FR survivors to remind them of their home (allowing us to 'tweak' whatever we want). So even though all of those NPCs and plothooks are dead in the official setting, we can keep them alive somewhere else.

Literally, it's a Brave New World.

Not even sure what the purpse of this thread is, other then to share with everyone my own plan to keep a part of the Old Realms alive.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 May 2008 23:31:22

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2008 :  21:53:27  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'tis Golarion

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2008 :  23:32:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

I said I didn't know much about it... yet.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Caedwyr
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  01:55:05  Show Profile  Visit Caedwyr's Homepage Send Caedwyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I've seen a couple other posters mention is using the continents/world of Golarion as some of the undetailed continents on Toril. We know the actual planet is much larger than the maps currently show, and areas like Kara-Tur fit in decently well with a little work. Or you can always just treat it as another crystal sphere if Spelljammer is to your fancy. The Planescape setting allows the players another way of accessing a multitude of different settings. Ed and his players have mentioned traveling to other worlds a number of times, the multiverse is a big place.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  02:18:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would just treat Golarion as another planet (or, being on another planet).

And yes, I've very excited about this setting.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  07:48:34  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like it might interest me, although the "it sounds a lot like GH being 're-imagined" bit worries me a bit.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  12:23:53  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, from what I've seen, if Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms were points on a line, Golarion would be somewhere in between the two. While a lot of GH afficianados work at Paizo, and there is that influence, a lot of "innovations" from the Realms have had a big influence on the setting as well. At least from what I've seen.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  19:17:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like I said, it sounds to me (and I know little at this point) like GH's geography with FR's flavor.

You have Kingdoms of Amerinds, Norsemen, Vedic-types, one that sounds a lot like the "Sea Princes", an 'Old Kingdom', a group that sounds similar to the Scarlet Brotherhood, another that sounds like the Kingdom of Iuz.

I'm not saying these are dirivitive, but rather that it sounds to me like a lot of the same type of cultures 'done right'.

And I'm NOT saying Gary Gygax did it wrong - Lord knows GH was my first love, but as a long-time fan of THAT setting, I can't help but draw parallels. It sounds to me like they just modernized the whole concept of a 'generic' fantasy setting, mostly for their adventure paths, just as GH grew out it's modules. Its what Greyhawk WOULD have been, had Gary created it today (at least, thats my take).

Oh... and with a good heaping helping of 'Ed-ness' for flavor.

Can't wait to see what area Ed did - even Shemmy is in the Dark, and she's working on it as well. Its like 'Top Secret' or something.

Even if you have no intention of using the setting, it's still worth taking a look at, because its probably filled with great ideas we can use elsewhere.

I'm also NOT saying we shouldn't look over 4e FR... you never know. I think every fan should at least check out the new setting when it comes out and make the final decision then. So far, all we know about are the changes.

just want everyone to keep their options open.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 May 2008 15:41:33
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  19:44:28  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that one primary difference between the Realms and Golarion is that the Earth inspired cultures (quasi-egyptian, etc.) did not bring the corresponding Earth pantheon along with them.

On the whole I agree, the setting has a little bit of everything in it, even Ebberon. The "world wound" and the political fighting amongst the breakaway colonies of the old empires just smack of Ebberon. The free river towns and Andoran have a very Dales like feel, very much like FR. Some of the darker Kingdoms, the war between Geb and Nex for example, seem very Greyhawk inspired.

That being said, it is incredibly hard to come up with something 100% original - I think in fact Paizo has a goal of creating somewhere balanced, familiar enough that players feel at home, but new and exciting enough to keep their interest and generate enthusiasm.

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Like I said, it sounds to me (and I know little at this point) like GH's geography with FR's falvor.

You have Kingdoms of Amerinds, Norsemen, Vedic-types, one that sounds a lot like the "Sea Princes", an 'Old Kingdom', a group that sounds similar to the Scarlet Brotherhood, another that sounds like the Kingdom of Iuz.

I'm not saying these are dirivitive, but rather that it sounds to me like a lot of the same type of cultures 'done right'.

And I'm NOT saying Gary Gygax did it wrong - Lord knows GH was my first love, but as a long-time fan of THAT setting, I can't help but draw parallels. It sounds to me like they just modernized the whole concept of a 'generic' fantasy setting, mostly for their adventure paths, just as GH grew out it's modules. Its what Greyhawk WOULD have been, had Gary created it today (at least, thats my take).

Can't wait to see what area Ed did - even Shemmy is in the Dark, and she's working on it as well. Its like 'Top Secret' or something.

Even if you have no intention of using the setting, it's still worth taking a look at, because its probably filled with great ideas we can use elsewhere.

I'm also NOT saying we shouldn't look over 4e FR... you never know. I think every fan should at least check out the new setting when it comes out and make the final decision then. So far, all we know about are the changes.

just want everyone to keep their options open.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  19:58:40  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

by check out you don't mean buying per se, do ya?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  20:27:12  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
by saying everyone should buy its somewhat counterproductive if the point is showing WotC that they're walking down the wrong lane ... i plan to camp the local store reading as much of 4e book as i can get away with before i choose if i buy it or not

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  10:12:23  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
when the CS is going to be released?

personally I could care less about the mechanics

Edited by - Quale on 20 May 2008 10:16:04
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  11:00:34  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Like I said, it sounds to me (and I know little at this point) like GH's geography with FR's falvor.

That actually made me somewhat interested. I am not sure how much I will be needing it though. There are stil old TSR products I don't own.

Maybe when I see the reactions to the published product.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  13:33:00  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

when the CS is going to be released?

personally I could care less about the mechanics

about August 2008

the RPG comes out in 2009

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  15:40:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been doing some more research - the folks over there are really helpful, like here - nothing at all like the WotC boards.

I got a list of artwork from one guy and it looked great! You can see the thread I started HERE; scroll down and see the links provided by KaeYoss. Lots of good tips on where to find info about the world if your interested.

I'll be downloading the PDF Gazeteer tomorrow... imagine, we can buy an inexpensive PDF to check things out, without having to shell out firsthand for a hardcover - will wonders never cease?

quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

by check out you don't mean buying per se, do ya?

Of course not - I learned my lesson with the 3e books (after buying a couple of core ones I found worthless).

I read both 4e Preview books at Borders, and all it cost me was a cup of coffee - charging for an advertisement sickened me.

Now, I only buy a product AFTER I have read through it, and feel I will use it. We don't buy cars without taking them for a test drive first, do we?

Then again... WotC will probably start shrink-wrapping stuff to prevent this...

Edited by - Markustay on 20 May 2008 15:58:30
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  16:06:05  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got the first two Pathfinder issues as reimbursement for Dragon magazine, and I liked what I saw, hence I continued the subscription, and I have not regretted it one bit!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  16:49:19  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought the 4E preview books and found them to be good reads, and worth the money.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 20 May 2008 16:50:21
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  16:54:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't plan on leaving this board anytime soon - I still love the Realms way too much to just forget about the last twenty years. I just wanted to say that before I say the following...

The inter-connectivity between the designers and the fanbase is simply amazing! The people creating the game and the world ASK for input - can you imagine?! They follow all the threads and pick-up on good ideas, and follow everyone's 'playtest' games... over at WotC, we pretty much only had Rich to talk to, and it was more along the lines of "It's going to be like THIS, and we really don't care what YOU think...".

They are building the world the FANS want, not the one THEY want.

They take EVERY comment seriously... its such a different atmosphere then the WotC boards, where just about everyone complains, and no one listens. Just one example I've seen of the fanbase participation in the last 24 hours -

Two people put together a calender, based on the stuff from the modules, with pictures taken from the Adventure paths. It is beautiful; the only problem was that they had to 'fudge' the Lunar Cycles, seasons, equinoxes and soltices. Basically, they just made that stuff up for a more complete rendering.

The designers took one look, and proclaimed it as the OFFICIAL calender!!! It will be included in the Pathfinder RPG book when it comes out.

Unlike what we do here at CK with the Compendium, lore that is created by the fans has a good chance of making it into print! Sure, there was a few things that did that here, but for the most part, I felt the designers might have been 'annoyed' by our efforts. The attitude over there is "The more the merrier".

It truly is a world built by the fans - a REAL "Living World", and it makes you feel like what you do MATTERS. Ed isn't just 'writing' for the world - he's excited about it!

I wonder how 'excited' he was over his 4e FRCG material, or how he feels now that a lot of it isn't even being used?

The best I can liken this experience to is life itself - When an elderly relative is on their deathbed, you stand by them, holding their hand. When a younger family member is in the hospital having a baby, once again, you are there for them. In both instances you are at the hospital feeling nothing but love...

Except the feeling in the air is different. I'm there for both Toril and Golarion right now, but while I'm excited by the birth of one...

You get the idea.

I'll be HERE until the end, though - I was for Oerth.

Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  19:04:46  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Once Ed's section becomes available, is there any chance of a small corner of Candlekeep being alloted for discussion of Golarion? I can imagine there are volumes of works on other worlds in the "real" Candlekeep, why not the virtual one?
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2008 :  19:07:14  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The time that i will leave the realms for another campaign setting has not come yet...I beleive that sooner or later Wizards will let the rights of the realms and they will occupy themselves with eberron (and other bullshit campaigns) ... If i had to play another setting this would have been the Conan CS of mongoose publishing ..The hyborian world which is copyrighted and cannot be changed like Faerun and spellplagues and Dragonborn and thundercats e.t.c .

But as i said I do not leave MY FORGOTTEN REALMS..

I will not fall in the same trap again ....

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)

Edited by - BARDOBARBAROS on 21 May 2008 19:19:32
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  01:47:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranak

Once Ed's section becomes available, is there any chance of a small corner of Candlekeep being alloted for discussion of Golarion? I can imagine there are volumes of works on other worlds in the "real" Candlekeep, why not the virtual one?
I can't imagine a reason for it not having it's own discussion scroll. I, or one of the other Mods, will likely just open a new scroll here in the D&D Core Products section -- to sit in place right next to "Ed's CASTLEMOURN Discussion Scroll."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  11:19:57  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Yeah I am really excited about Golarion. BTW I go by 18Delta on the WotC Boards. All my 3.5 games will be set in Golarion now. The Adventure paths rock. But I am going to do a 4E Realms game using the adventures that WotC is producing.
-I really like James Jacobs, Nick Logue, and Wolfgang Baur(sp). The Dungeon Adventures they produced were awesome. I hear in the Next Adventure Path, they will have Elaine working on it. Its about Elves and Drow! Yeah I am going to keep an eye on this thread.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  21:46:05  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
when is it all coming out anywho?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  21:58:19  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

when is it all coming out anywho?

When is what coming out?

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  23:51:22  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-In August the Hard cover book of Golarion will be released. All 246 pages of it. This month saw the release of the Pathfinder Gazetter.(Which didnt ship to alot of people me included so I have to wait until June to get the Physical product, but I love the PDF OF IT! But Paizo Customer Service Rocks!) In August the Beta will be released for the Pathfinder Role Playing Game, That will be $25. In September Adventure Path #3 Will start.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2008 :  01:59:24  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Pathfinder RPG beta rules will also be available as a free PDF on the Paizo website.

More on topic: I was very impressed with what I saw of Golarion in the 1st Pathfinder AP. (I'd totally subscribe just to read the monthly books, but I'm out of shelf space and way behind on my PDFs!) It seems like a very deep, rich world, much in the spirit of the old Realms. I just kept thinking (due to the comparison to 4e FR) that WotC should really take world-building lessons from Paizo.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2008 :  02:09:41  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Yep downloaded the 3rd part of the Alpha Release last night.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2008 :  03:27:06  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-In August the Hard cover book of Golarion will be released. All 246 pages of it. This month saw the release of the Pathfinder Gazetter.(Which didnt ship to alot of people me included so I have to wait until June to get the Physical product, but I love the PDF OF IT! But Paizo Customer Service Rocks!) In August the Beta will be released for the Pathfinder Role Playing Game, That will be $25. In September Adventure Path #3 Will start.

BRIMSTONE

Thats what I was asking. Thanks

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2008 :  04:03:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by freyar

I just kept thinking (due to the comparison to 4e FR) that WotC should really take world-building lessons from Paizo.

They don't need lessons...

Don't you know that they KNOW EVERYTHING?!

Just ask them...

And yes, the final Alpha was released yesterday for the rules, and they are great, and when the Beta comes out it will indeed be available as a FREE download.

Even though they are charging for the hardcover, they will still be giving away the PDF. I can't get over the commitment to the community. I feel like it's 1988 all over a gain.

There's something there for everyone, so if you don't want to use the expanded rules, you can still use their world, or conversely, you can use their rules (in FR!) and ignore their world. Or just use the adventure Paths, or lift ideas from everything... its all good.

And Delta, it's good to see your standing by FR as well.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 May 2008 04:10:39
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2008 :  05:51:29  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pathfinder novel line, confirmed launch for window is 2009.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2008 :  16:15:10  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Pathfinder novel line, confirmed launch for window is 2009.

Linky please

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000