Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Liquors of the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlackDragonKarameikos
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  03:44:45  Show Profile  Visit BlackDragonKarameikos's Homepage Send BlackDragonKarameikos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm looking for a list of liquors that are either served or sold in the realms.

I thought there was a partial list in one of the campaign settings but when I looked I found nothing.

Does anyone know if there is a list and where it might be located?

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  04:17:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's some in Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog from 2e.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  04:25:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, Ed has discussed several types of wine in his '04 and '05 replies here at Candlekeep. Check through the files and perform a search.

And Krash provided a listing of Ales, Spirits and Wines of the Realms here at Candlekeep:- http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/ales.htm

I'll note however that while George's listing is comprehensive, it doesn't include every beverage or drink referenced in most relevant Realmslore sources. For example, Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark lists several popular liquors, ales, and assorted beverages which feature in both taverns in the Underdark and in the Realms Above.

As well, we have numerous novel references to select drinks served in taverns and inns across the Realms and the occasional mentions in assorted 1e/2e/3e FR sourcebooks [like those I referred to above in DDGttU] other than the Volo's Guides and Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  15:46:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is probably the type of situation where you won't find any single, exhaustive list in any one source. I mean, think of all the types of liquor sold in the real world.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 01 May 2008 15:48:27
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  16:49:54  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't it a good idea to open a new topic to try to list them ?
As we did about Taverns and inns !

I will if you think it is an useful idea.
Please tell me.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  17:59:00  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Please tell me.

I think its a great idea to routinely consolidate knowledge that is spread out over many scrolls. I wonder actually if subjects such as Taverns and Inns of the Realms and Drinks of the Realms should be consolidated into a document and moved to Scribes Gatherings for easier access; or, if not, perhaps they should be placed, like Fillow's abbreviations in a Sticky topic. Perhaps in the future we could produce similar lists of Zhentarim agents, Harper agents, War Wizards, etc. by city and/or region. Those lists might include dates as well. For example, under Zhentarim: "Cormyr/Tilverton -- Nasty Mcfellow (LE hm T6)[c.1350-1367]".

For that matter, we could assign abbreviations to the old Zhentarim organizational tree and indicate the NPC's immediate superior.

It really is a shame that we can't produce a kind of Candlekeep Wiki but with restricted authorship rights.
Cheers,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 01 May 2008 18:05:41
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  19:16:21  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackDragonKarameikos

I thought there was a partial list in one of the campaign settings but when I looked I found nothing.

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/ales.htm
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2008 :  00:47:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani
For example, under Zhentarim: "Cormyr/Tilverton -- Nasty Mcfellow (LE hm T6)[c.1350-1367]".

Nasty McFellow?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2008 :  00:53:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Please tell me.

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:

*Cough* I could've sworn another scribe already posted such a listing...

Go to Top of Page

BlackDragonKarameikos
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  23:52:18  Show Profile  Visit BlackDragonKarameikos's Homepage Send BlackDragonKarameikos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info friends.

here's my next question on this subject.
Is there a list that describes each drink in detail(i.e. color, texture, potency)?
Since I have none of the Volo's guides, I have no way of knowing what each is like.

Perhaps a list of the drinks served particulrly in Waterdeep would be best, since that is where they are preparing to head towards.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  01:18:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, a listing such as this, does not actually exist. At most, you'd have to reference the source a particular drink/liquor/beverage was mentioned in [by using the listing I posted above] to learn of particular details about them. Usually, you'll find a few tidbits about the drink, it's history, make-up, and taste, in the original source or novel where it was mentioned.

Also, Volo's Guide to the North, Volo's Guide to Cormyr, and Volo's Guide to the Dalelands are available as free PDF downloads at WotC. So long as you refer to the listing I posted above, you should be able to search through those PDFs for the relevant beverages listed.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  04:45:13  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

The Ales and Beers section of that marked my first published Realmslore (outside of Dragon magazine, that is) way back in 1992.

And alas, as far as I know, we never had a table comparing relative alcohol contents or tastes or consistencies, et al. Sorry.

Steven
who still plans on brewing his own beer and having his artist wife draw up "Elminster's Choke/Choice" labels for beer that's less than great.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  05:36:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

The Ales and Beers section of that marked my first published Realmslore (outside of Dragon magazine, that is) way back in 1992.

And alas, as far as I know, we never had a table comparing relative alcohol contents or tastes or consistencies, et al. Sorry.

Steven
who still plans on brewing his own beer and having his artist wife draw up "Elminster's Choke/Choice" labels for beer that's less than great.

Groovy, you wrote that section? Very cool, that explains why I reference that part of the sourcebook a lot. Sigh, I miss your material. :(

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  06:57:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Really? Neato! It shouldn't be too much of a surprise then, that it just happens to be one of my two favorite parts from that book.
quote:
Steven
You'll be planning on sharing it with the rest of us too, yes?
quote:

Sigh, I miss your material. :(

Ditto!

Edited by - The Sage on 05 May 2008 06:59:10
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  13:55:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Steven

That section of the catalog inspired a major portion of a character's backstory and personality. When I was first rolling up my minotaur character (way back in 2E), I rolled really well for starting gold. Since the character was too big for a horse and too big for regular armor, I had a lot of money and little to spend it on. So I pulled out the Catalog, happened onto that section, and that was as far as I needed to go. My character carried several handkegs, which he drank from frequently and almost exclusively (why drink water from a skin when there's beer handy?). Part of his backstory became that he was the son of a brewer. And when he later bought a chariot, he named the horses pulling it after favored ales.

The minotaur was originally in some homebrew world, but I later (after the campaign fell apart) moved him to the Realms, where he eventually became owner (with his adventuring buddies) of a Waterdhavian tavern and inn.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2008 :  21:04:00  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:

*Cough* I could've sworn another scribe already posted such a listing...

You're right The Sage.
But, is this list for sure up-to-date ?

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  01:10:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're right The Sage.
But, is this list for sure up-to-date ?
No, as I said earlier, it doesn't cover the references in some later tomes and novels. But I'm currently attempting to include most of the liquor/beverage references from more recent sourcebooks and novels.

Edited by - The Sage on 07 May 2008 01:20:22
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  20:41:22  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

... I'm currently attempting to include most of the liquor/beverage references from more recent sourcebooks and novels.

Allright Boss.
Where (When ? The French sentence would say "Where do you find time", which is stupid ! but what about English one ?)...
So, When do you find time to read, collect, remember, answer us about so many FR sources ?
I just cannot imagine the hours you spend within our preferred universe. Don't you have a life in the real one ?
Do not answer the last one ! That's not my matter !
Do not change anything !
Thanks a lot dear Sage.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  01:11:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Allright Boss.
Where (When ? The French sentence would say "Where do you find time", which is stupid ! but what about English one ?)...
So, When do you find time to read, collect, remember, answer us about so many FR sources ?
Well, in terms of reading and collecting Realms stuff, that's pretty much a process that's been going on since 1987 with the publication of the Ol' Grey Box. It quickly became habit for me to read each and every FR source as it was released, and that's been a process I've largely maintained throughout 2e and 3e as well. Admittedly, there's been a few 3e FR tomes that I've delayed reading, mostly because of their content, like the various adventures published for example. Unless they've been written by Steven Schend or Ed Greenwood, I haven't used many pre-made published adventures/hooks in my Realms.

As for remembering answers, well, most of the time, I'm encountering questions or Realms queries that have been asked before. So it's just simply a matter of recalling an earlier reply I made to a similar query. Other times, I simply respond based on what I've read in the books, or what authors/designers here at Candlekeep have said.
quote:
I just cannot imagine the hours you spend within our preferred universe. Don't you have a life in the real one ?
While the Realms is among my favorite TSR campaign worlds, it's not the only "universe" I like to spend time in. I also try to devote some hours of my weekly schedule to reading through the published materials for the DRAGONLANCE, PLANESCAPE, SPELLJAMMER, and RAVENLOFT settings, and writing additional lore for each of them.
quote:
Do not answer the last one ! That's not my matter !
Do not change anything !
Thanks a lot dear Sage.
You're welcome Fillow. I'm always happy to assistant a fellow Candlekeep scribe in whatever capacity will help them to learn more about the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  08:37:45  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

While the Realms is among my favorite TSR campaign worlds, it's not the only "universe" I like to spend time in. I also try to devote some hours of my weekly schedule to reading through the published materials for the DRAGONLANCE, PLANESCAPE, SPELLJAMMER, and RAVENLOFT settings, and writing additional lore for each of them.

You know, in Europe, we only have 24 hours a day !
Or we have to work to earn money to be able to live by ourselves !

Is it not the same in ... Australia ? I forgot it !
From the 1st of May to yesterday, I lodged the Australian Army rugby team ! They were really nice ! Euh... Do you all drink alcohol so much every night ?

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 08 May 2008 08:41:02
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  09:16:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To prevent further off-topicness, I'm taking your questions to 'Private Messaging' Fillow.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  09:25:26  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're right! Excuse-me Sage ! I take care of my writing and grammar too much and I often forget the topic of the thread !
Feel free to delete my out-of-topic posts when you see them.

To come back to the topic.
What are these recent sourcebooks we could look for new Realms liquors and alcohols ?
Do you need help ?

I do not think I will have time enough for this project ( I need & keep time for my FR French projects, your index project,...) but maybe other scribes will !

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 08 May 2008 09:27:09
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  09:55:58  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so now i know where all the names for booze came from back in the day playing iwd series and bg series.

didnt notice but has rashemi drink listed in it?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  14:40:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To come back to the topic.
What are these recent sourcebooks we could look for new Realms liquors and alcohols ?
Do you need help ?
I've pretty much covered most of the 3e sourcebooks. Though, there's a couple of the more recent novels that I have yet to check [mostly because I haven't read them yet].

As for needing help, well, if any scribes here manage to find a liquor/beverage referenced in any of the 07/08 FR novels released, then by all means feel free to send the reference to me and I'll add them to the updated listing I've got on my HD.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000