Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  16:21:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met, all!

Many moons ago, one of our scribes started a trivia challenge. There was no overall goal, other than sharing trivia and having fun. And it was fun for a while, but eventually petered out.

I decided to restart it. And I also decided we needed a few more rules this time. I specifically wanted to avoid two problems of the last challenge: sometimes the trivia was simply too esoteric, and other times, the same people (myself included ) kept dominating the challenge by jumping on all the questions as they were asked. Hopefully, we can avoid any issues this time.

The rules:

1. All questions must come from a novel, sourcebook, official (non-subscription) TSR/WotC web release, or Dragon magazine. Lore originating solely from computer games (including their manuals), comic books, mailing lists (like Realms-L), forums (including this one), apocryphal sources such as the Double Diamond Triangle Saga, or any other unofficial TSR/WotC source are disallowed. Polyhedron and Dungeon magazines are similarly off-limits; while they did contain official Realms material, Dragon had a lot more such material and a wider reader base. Dragon was also where the Realms first saw print, so it's only fitting to include it.
It's only fair if we use non-obscure material that everyone has a reasonable chance of easily obtaining.

2. It is requested that any scribe answering a question refrain from doing so again for five days. There are plenty of people who know a lot, but others need to have a chance.

3. If no one has correctly answered a question within 24 hours of its posting, the posting scribe needs to provide a hint, and the hint must be informative enough to give others a chance to find the information. For example (drawing from the previous Trivia Challenge), if the question was "Who was Alisker Lathundown of Nuel?", saying "He's dead!" is not a sufficient hint. Saying "Alisker was one of seven, and the seven aren't as well known as the lady mage they served. He's definitely dead, but may or may not be still around." is enough information to aim people in the right direction. (He's one of the skulls that served Tashara of the Seven Skulls; he's named in the "Elminster's Notebook" article of the same name in Dragon 206.)

4. It's recommended, but not necessary, that when the correct answer is given, a reference be provided. That way, others can read up on it, if they wish.

5. The scribe who correctly answers a question is then allowed to post a question of their own. It's a good idea to have a question ready, instead of saying "I'll come back with one in several hours" (I myself am guilty of the latter! ).

6. At this time, questions which cover the entirety of 1e, 2e, 3e and 4e FORGOTTEN REALMS are allowed as part of this Trivia Challenge. However, 4e questions based solely on information from the DDI are discouraged, since a large number of scribes have not subscribed to that service, and the information is thus not available for them.

7. Remember, the purpose of this is simply to have some fun and share lore. There's no need to lord superior knowledge of Realmslore over each other; we're all here because we love the setting.

Edit: Rules 1 and 6 tweaked; 4E questions are now allowed, but questions from the subscription-only sections of the Wizards site are ruled out.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Mar 2009 13:59:12

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  16:22:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And to start it off, I'll ask a question pertaining to one of my personal fave NPCs.

Who avenged the death of Irritym Wonderstar of Waterdeep?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  16:30:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Suggestion?

New Rule:
8. All answers should be from your own knowledge base - checking your own references is fine, but simply looking up the answer on the web is to be discouraged.

If I was at home right now, I'd have the answer, because Wiki pointed me directly to the source.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Apr 2008 16:30:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  16:34:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*shrugs* Sometimes Google does make it easier. I know I used it once or twice, the previous time around. But while the answer can sometimes be easily found online, the source of it often isn't. And you can't always believe info on the internet, especially from any Wiki site.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  16:43:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it only pointed me to the source of your information given above, which I don't have handy.

And besides, just because that source tells about his death, doesn't neccessarily mean it also gives the answer. Oft-times, especially with older 1e/2e lore, the answer to certain 'mysteries' appear in later works.

Thanks for starting this - we need something positive to keep people focused on Realmslore right now.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Apr 2008 16:43:30
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  17:42:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Suggestion?

New Rule:
8. All answers should be from your own knowledge base - checking your own references is fine, but simply looking up the answer on the web is to be discouraged.

If I was at home right now, I'd have the answer, because Wiki pointed me directly to the source.

That ruling could create problems... especially if Ed's own replies here at Candlekeep are the only avenue open to some scribes for the purposes of answering a particular question.

I agree with Wooly.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  19:18:05  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Many moons ago, one of our scribes started a trivia challenge.
This scribe is a good guy. Really ! Do not you think so ?
quote:
3. If no one has correctly answered a question within 24 hours of its posting, the posting scribe needs to provide a hint
Don't you think 24 hours is a bit short ?

About the first question, I will try to say Baelam "the Bold" ?
With no use of Wiki... just thanks to one of the Candlekeep website pages and one of the Dragon issue.
Is it an allowed way to get the answer ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 07 Apr 2008 19:19:39
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  19:18:52  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And to start it off, I'll ask a question pertaining to one of my personal fave NPCs.

Who avenged the death of Irritym Wonderstar of Waterdeep?

Baelam "The Bold".

pg 103 - 104 of the Campaign Guide from the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set.

Oh dear. . . now I need a question. . .

Ok, here it is;
Who is the captain of Umberlee's Get?
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  19:20:04  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, see what happens when I need to figure out a question! ;)
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  19:21:12  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hop hop hop !
dear ShadezofDis... didn't you forget to read my post ?

We may wait for The original poster confirmation... no ?

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  19:25:54  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But J..... S....... is the man you spoke about !
I let your question asked...

EDIT : The Sage, could you forbid Edit tool on this topic ? We may have few cheaters within the community...

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 07 Apr 2008 19:28:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  19:26:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, you don't have to wait for the original person to confirm it. And both of you answered within 60 seconds of each other.

Fillow, if you'd like, the next time I get one, I'll let you ask the question, instead.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  19:29:44  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nope, you don't have to wait for the original person to confirm it.
Allright !
quote:

Fillow, if you'd like, the next time I get one, I'll let you ask the question, instead.

No probs. My real pleasure is to (try to) answer, not to ask !

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 07 Apr 2008 19:30:15
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  19:36:34  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I write again that I let the ShadezofDis' question on the air :

EDIT : Read you in five days... f¤$*ing rules !!

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 07 Apr 2008 19:37:47
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  19:40:45  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Hop hop hop !
dear ShadezofDis... didn't you forget to read my post ?

We may wait for The original poster confirmation... no ?

Nope, didn't forget, I had that reply open for about a half hour trying to come up with a question. I had the answer pretty quickly. ;)

And Fillow's got it.
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  19:42:27  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I write again that I let the ShadezofDis' question on the air :

EDIT : Read you in five days... f�$*ing rules !!

Don't worry, we can still PM the answer to the poster.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2008 :  01:10:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't you think 24 hours is a bit short ?
I don't think so. Most of our regular scribes tend to visit Candlekeep at least one a day, sometimes more. I think 24 hours is long enough. If participation starts to drop, we may consider extending it to 36 or 48 hours.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2008 :  01:13:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

EDIT : The Sage, could you forbid Edit tool on this topic ? We may have few cheaters within the community...
It's all about honesty, my friend. We Mods would like to think there is a generous amount of honesty among scribes here at Candlekeep, and that scribes will only use the EDIT function should they post a genuine error that needs correcting.

If we start thinking like this, well... it kinda defeats the purpose of the Trivia Challenge itself.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2008 :  04:42:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, dear.
WHICH captain of Umberlee's Get?
. . . and for that matter, which of the four avengers of Wonderstar (that I know about; Ed has more lore in his notes that we Knights haven't found out yet)?
Sigh.
'Tis probably best if I just enjoy this from the sidelines.
Even if I stick strictly to widely-available published Realmslore, Ed has so often put hints, double meanings, and the like into his wordings that we Knights have picked up on and asked him about, point-blank. Whereas the rest of you don't have that opportunity unless you avail yourselves of the Ask Eddie threads here at the Keep.
So bring on the trivia, and I'll bounce up and down and enjoy it all, here on the sidelines . .
[we lack the appropriate smiley to properly illustrate me bouncing up and down; sorry!]
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 08 Apr 2008 04:43:26
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2008 :  04:48:19  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaundo! More smiley options, quick!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  21:16:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ping!
Bumping this one up, since the gremlin horde screwed up everything.

Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  21:28:40  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

So bring on the trivia, and I'll bounce up and down and enjoy it all, here on the sidelines . .
love to all,
THO

And we'll enjoy you enjoying the trivia.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  19:24:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy, did this go 'off' quickly...

Is there a question open ATM? I'm completely lost by all of the above.

Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  19:43:42  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do believe that we're still on the Umberlee's Get one, I know that Fillow knows it but I don't know if Fillow will come up with an answer.

A hint would be;
The captain NEVER worries about falling overboard, it just doesn't matter to him.
And since LHO brings up the fact there are a multitude of possibilities, he's the captain in 1359.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  20:12:35  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadezofDis

I do believe that we're still on the Umberlee's Get one, I know that Fillow knows it but I don't know if Fillow will come up with an answer.

If nobody finds the name of this captain (which is really improbable !) I will come back with the answer but I'm sure that so many keepers know him that I will have to think about another question in few minutes !...

So ATM, dear loremasters, answer this :

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2008 :  03:08:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Umm, Fillow, you're supposed to provide hints. And with all due respect to ShadesofDis, his hints weren't what I would call particularly helpful. It's obviously a ship of some sort - a hint to where it is located might be useful.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2008 :  20:03:15  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jezgar Skentzin - Captain of Umberlee's Get (Caravel) Page 76 of Pirates of the Fallen Stars
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2008 :  21:02:31  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Assuming I am correct. I will offer a new question. Should be fairly easy.

What was Kelemvor's family curse and how did it come to be?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2008 :  04:07:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Premature balding. It's in their genes.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2008 :  04:33:23  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Premature balding. It's in their genes.

Ok, the other curse, as described in the Avatar Trilogy
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2008 :  07:01:44  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Umm, Fillow, you're supposed to provide hints. And with all due respect to ShadesofDis, his hints weren't what I would call particularly helpful. It's obviously a ship of some sort - a hint to where it is located might be useful.

-- George Krashos

I thought about giving the location but it seemed like it'd make it too obvious.

scererar nailed it. I like the naming the ship type touch.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000