Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 D&D XP Seminar Info
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  01:40:55  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Not a whole lot of info, but I've dug around and found this, from this site.

Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide in August

* Gives DMs what they need to run adventures and campaigns set in the realms
* Trying to present the information friendlier to the reader, less like an encyclopaedia, more being able to crack it open and get an idea from any page
* More information, but to avoid overwhelming the new reader.
* Full of story rich elements

“Who’s on the cover?” “Shade of Netheril riding a dragon. Shades are back as a force in the FR.”

FR Player’s Guide

* Book for the player
* Includes rules for drow and genasi player characters
* Introduces the Swordmage class
* Regional backgrounds, new feats, and more

FR1: Sceptre Tower of Spellguard (Adventure in September)

* 2-4 level
* Embraces FR flavour
* Still accessible to everyone

Swordmage

* First novel set in 4e Forgotten Realms
* Also introduces new class
* Blades of the Monsoon Book 1

“What will the new class be called?” “The Baker. I bake, I bake well”

Reader’s Guide to Drizzt

* Guide to RA Salvatore’s characters
* Hardcover, richly illustrated
* Celebrating 20 years

Pirate King

* Sequel to The Orc King

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  02:38:28  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sighs* Was hoping more new would come out sooner, but I thank you for what you got.
"Trying to present the information friendlier to the reader, less like an encyclopaedia, more being able to crack it open and get an idea from any page" Sound bizzare to me, even if three pages instead of one. The Realms last I checked was not a single town or domain. There again it might not be that bad, months to go before we see.

“Shade of Netheril riding a dragon" Well we knew Shades would be a major force, but dragon riding as well ? A force of darkness controling a force of power makes it look like any good PC will die quick.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 29 Feb 2008 02:40:03
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  02:42:53  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure more will come out during the course of the Convention, especially regarding the Living Forgotten Realms campaign.
Go to Top of Page

l33td0ggy
Acolyte

25 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  04:10:37  Show Profile  Visit l33td0ggy's Homepage Send l33td0ggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"reader's guide to drizzt"

you have got to be kidding me! is there anythiung wotc won't do to milk the drizzt appeal?

i have a guide: he fights. he whines. there, give me $20.

i have no sig.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  04:21:41  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l33td0ggy

"reader's guide to drizzt"

you have got to be kidding me! is there anythiung wotc won't do to milk the drizzt appeal?

i have a guide: he fights. he whines. there, give me $20.

I was not going there.
If they can sell 250,000 units because of a name or picture on the book so be it. Perhaps something inside the cover will be useful as well.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  10:29:00  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going by this character sheet, Tymora's still in.. and able to sponsor Paladins.

And by this one, Amaunator's in.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  11:04:56  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Going by this character sheet, Tymora's still in.. and able to sponsor Paladins.

And by this one, Amaunator's in.

At least they are included in the D&D Core material as those cheets are not FR specific!

I wonder what will happen to Lathander though? Traded places with Amaunator as a lost God?

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 29 Feb 2008 11:06:10
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  13:24:11  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halfling Paladin

27 HP at 1st level
and +2 to hit at 1st level as well?

hmmm, nice

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  17:12:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, thanks so much for the information.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  17:12:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

I wonder what will happen to Lathander though? Traded places with Amaunator as a lost God?

I was wondering that, myself...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  17:35:20  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you know what is funny? All the time, we have this "menace" of the new plot of Lathander to alter the planes and the worlds... Something like this (that is a solid piece or Realmslore) could be used with much more sense to justify the changes to 4th Edition.

Only if... the spellplague, the fact that Mystra don´t prevent it.. the loss of power of so many gods... the imprisonment of Cyric... the changes in the planes and the realms...

I start to think if we will see the radiant finger of Lathander in all this mess, at some point...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  17:40:25  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Did you know what is funny? All the time, we have this "menace" of the new plot of Lathander to alter the planes and the worlds... Something like this (that is a solid piece or Realmslore) could be used with much more sense to justify the changes to 4th Edition.

Only if... the spellplague, the fact that Mystra don´t prevent it.. the loss of power of so many gods... the imprisonment of Cyric... the changes in the planes and the realms...

I start to think if we will see the radiant finger of Lathander in all this mess, at some point...

I actually like the idea of tying in Lathander's . . . oh, I forget what it was being called, but it seems like it'd fit really well. I'll have to think about it some more but it'd go a long way towards explaining some various things, if handled correctly.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  17:53:20  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forget the name, too.

Second cataclism, Dawn cataclism, or something like this.

Hmm, someone could ask this for me to Rich, in the WotC boards?

Is Lathander involved with all the events that lead to the spellplague, and this have something to do with the Lathander´s cataclism?

Another question, this greatly discussed in brazilian boards:

"Will 4th give continuity with the templates? half-dragon, fey, golem, ornitorrinco, etc.?"

This is something that don´t have a great aceptance here in Brazil, and many players are arguing about this.

If someone could post my questions in Rich´s plate, I´ll be happy.

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 29 Feb 2008 18:09:42
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  18:05:30  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I forget the name, too.

Second cataclism, Dawn cataclism, or something like this.

I think the first one was the Dawn Cataclysm and this one was supposed to be the Dawn Crusade.

... all I've been able to find in a quick google search is "Lathander's Deliverance"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  18:30:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadezofDis

quote:

I actually like the idea of tying in Lathander's . . . oh, I forget what it was being called, but it seems like it'd fit really well. I'll have to think about it some more but it'd go a long way towards explaining some various things, if handled correctly.

That's actually a really good idea... But keep in mind that a major goal for them was to remove Mystra. It's hard to tie that into something Lathander would start.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  18:50:12  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it´s really hard.

But if Helm was still with us, he could talk a little about how Lathander is "subtle" when he want to put some plot to move...

I will not be surprise if Lathander´s acts culminate to permit the death of Mystra.

Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  19:33:37  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by ShadezofDis

That's actually a really good idea... But keep in mind that a major goal for them was to remove Mystra. It's hard to tie that into something Lathander would start.

Not quite so difficult when you take the view of the Gods being very dynamic beings. I wouldn't be shocked that Shar would find out a bit about Lathander's new plan and the take advantage of the distraction such an event, or even the preparation of the event, caused.

Personally, I'm working on solidifying my planar theory and I think I'm going to use "Elminster in Hell" as the justification for the ease of the assassination of Mystra (When Mystra goes to Hell Shar plants a seed in Dweomerheart which grew and eventually introduced enough corruption in Dweomerheart to allow Shar access, think of the corruption's growth as being like a boiling frog)

But such an event as Lathander's Deliverence would be easy to work in with the same type of theory applied.

It could also go a ways towards explaining some animosity between Tyr and Helm. (Anyone have where that whole saga is spelled out? Is it on the web or from a book?)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  20:59:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But the thing is, Lathander already screwed up once. Even though he's overly enthusiastic, I can't see how any plot of his would allow for such a major failure as the Sellplague. Remember, the first Dawn Cataclysm didn't have any notable effects on the mortal world, other than the oft-quoted bit about presaging the fall of Myth Drannor. And we only know of one deific death from the Dawn Cataclysm -- Murdane. Tyche's corruption and split happened during the Dawn Cataclysm, but there's no evidence that the two were related.

And it wasn't Shar that went into Dweomerheart -- it was Cyric. My theory is that Shar lent him the Karsestone, and it somehow shielded Cyric from being noticed until he did the deed (it's a Venom/Spider-Man thing: the Karsestone was the heart of someone who was briefly the deity of magic, so it acted as a foil against the senses of the new deity of magic).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  21:08:28  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But the thing is, Lathander already screwed up once. Even though he's overly enthusiastic, I can't see how any plot of his would allow for such a major failure as the Sellplague. Remember, the first Dawn Cataclysm didn't have any notable effects on the mortal world, other than the oft-quoted bit about presaging the fall of Myth Drannor. And we only know of one deific death from the Dawn Cataclysm -- Murdane. Tyche's corruption and split happened during the Dawn Cataclysm, but there's no evidence that the two were related.

Oh, I wouldn't want to say that Lathander caused the Spellplague (you and your clever puns *g*) just that it's another piece of the puzzle. For something like the Spellplague you need A LOT of things going wrong at just the right time and I think that Lathander's actions could help aid and abed what literally caused the Spellplague (I haven't thought up anything good for that yet, some ideas but they're vague, mainly centering around internal FR forces vs external non-FR forces needing to be balanced... nevermind, I'm not there yet *g*)

quote:
And it wasn't Shar that went into Dweomerheart -- it was Cyric. My theory is that Shar lent him the Karsestone, and it somehow shielded Cyric from being noticed until he did the deed (it's a Venom/Spider-Man thing: the Karsestone was the heart of someone who was briefly the deity of magic, so it acted as a foil against the senses of the new deity of magic).

Not bad, though it begs the question of why such a thing hasn't ever happened before. I'm weak on my Karsestone lore though, so the "holes" I see may not even be there.

And I wasn't sure what the exact situation was, but I knew that Cyric did the deed, it's just that he didn't have to be the one who weakened the walls of Dweomerheart and I feel like Shar has a subtler touch (though, from evidence of the Trial of Cyric the Mad, the Dark Sun does have it in him to be subtle)
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2008 :  18:10:20  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not a whole lot of info, but I've dug around and found this, from this site.

Thanks to Markustay we have a link with a few links that feature the entire info of Uzzy's link as videos at youtube. (Can you use 'link' anymore often in just one sentence? )

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

A link to this link was posted over at WotC boards -

News from the show

Enjoy... I guess.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 02 Mar 2008 12:31:43
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2008 :  19:58:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Enworld has a report from someone at D&D Exp that WOTC has been in talks with Hollywood about a D&D movie.

Some of the pitches are about a Drizzt movie or maybe a Eberron movie.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2008 :  22:30:58  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't believe they're wasting publishing space on a guide book to RA Salvatore's characters when in fact all of them are dead in the 4E setting.

*shakes head*

Talk about wasting publishing space.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2008 :  23:51:17  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

I can't believe they're wasting publishing space on a guide book to RA Salvatore's characters when in fact all of them are dead in the 4E setting.

*shakes head*

Talk about wasting publishing space.

That's what you'd call a '3.x Ed. aftershock'!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  02:37:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Enworld has a report from someone at D&D Exp that WOTC has been in talks with Hollywood about a D&D movie.

Some of the pitches are about a Drizzt movie or maybe a Eberron movie.

Cool, thanks for letting us know.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  03:39:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I the only one who noticed that the FR book bears the Dungeons & Dragons logo, and NO FR logo? "Forgotten Realms" is mentioned beneath the logo in a small text box.

However, the Eberron book has a GREAT, BIG, FAT, JUICY LOGO!!!!
and Dunngeons & Dragons comes underneath it in teensy, tiny letters.

Ladies and Gentlemen... I think we've been had.

If that doesn't scream "FR is the new Core", I don't know what does.

We don't even get a friggin' logo this time out....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Mar 2008 03:40:34
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  11:46:45  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Reader’s Guide to Drizzt

* Guide to RA Salvatore’s characters
* Hardcover, richly illustrated
* Celebrating 20 years

That made me want to throw up What do we celebrate? 20 years of what? 20 years of whining drow being worshiped by hordes of teenagers? 20 years of milking a rothe? This way WotC is telling us that Drizzit just became the most prominent hero of the setting, maybe even more important than the setting itself We already had Drizzit comic books and now this happens. What's out next year? Drizzit toilet paper? Drizzit corn flakes? Or maybe Drizzit airlines ("We are faster than a swing of Drizzit's blade")?

Edited by - Verghityax on 02 Mar 2008 11:51:42
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  12:10:26  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be Drizzt, Verghityax

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  12:12:38  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Verghityax
[snip]
Drizzit toilet paper? Drizzit corn flakes? Or maybe Drizzit airlines ("We are faster than a swing of Drizzit's blade")?

Who told you of my business plans???

But than again - why not sticking to something that sells?! After all, we see other phenominons of such sorts all the time - e.g. another Rocky/Rambo/Indiana Jones movie! Is sells and thats what is important for a business.

You can't blame WotC for that, really! For other things, well... but not for sticking with Drizzit, ähem, Drizzt.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 02 Mar 2008 12:16:22
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  12:17:49  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

I know, I used it in the wrong way deliberately This Drizzit thing comes from Sojourn novel, where someone calls Drizzt this way

quote:

quote:
[snip]
Drizzit toilet paper? Drizzit corn flakes? Or maybe Drizzit airlines ("We are faster than a swing of Drizzit's blade")?

But than again - why not sticking to something that sells?! After all, we see other phenominons of such sorts all the time - e.g. another Rocky/Rambo/Indiana Jones movie! Is sells and thats what is important for a business.

You can't blame WotC for that, really! For other things, well... but not for sticking with Drizzit, ähem, Drizzt.

I know that what they really care for is making as much profit as possible and I can't blame them for that. Nevertheless, it still makes me sick.

Edited by - Verghityax on 02 Mar 2008 12:22:30
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  13:08:17  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

I know, I used it in the wrong way deliberately This Drizzit thing comes from Sojourn novel, where someone calls Drizzt this way

There are enough Drizzt "fans" who still can't spell his name...or type it anyways... if it was intentional that's fine by me

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

l33td0ggy
Acolyte

25 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  16:02:00  Show Profile  Visit l33td0ggy's Homepage Send l33td0ggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
[snip]

i can. they only push drizzt, and ignore any other charactyer that has the potential to shine. they won't give any other characters a shot, not so long as they can keep pyushing drizzt. it's not fair to the other authors when they don't get the publicity or endless repinrts and marketing that drizzt gets.

wotcs business plan is that only one thign sells, so they only sell that one thing.

i have no sig.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000