Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Positive things about the New Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  18:43:57  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
If you are excited about the New Realms, tell us why here.

Positives only please, there are several scrolls already dealing with the negatives!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  21:28:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Assuming the 4E designers stick to their own words, less RSEs and more "personal" stories.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

TwigB
Acolyte

South Africa
46 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  21:44:13  Show Profile Send TwigB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Assuming the 4E designers stick to their own words, less RSEs and more "personal" stories.

Yes, very true. I think I've had my fill of RSE for the time being. I hope they plan on giving the new Realms a time to breath before going the RSE route.
To get back on topic, like I said in my previous post, I like the idea of Sembia being controlled by the Shades. I've been quite partial to them for quite some time, but due to their limited geography I found it hard to incorporate them into my campaigns. Now that they control an entire region they'll be much more accessible to all levels of play.
Go to Top of Page

Spree Thunderheart
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  21:49:49  Show Profile  Visit Spree Thunderheart's Homepage Send Spree Thunderheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Advancing the timeline to where the Forgotten Realms are actually Forgotten again. There are new lands to be explored with new stories to be told.

-The Epic NPC’s are gone. Yep, you can throw me into that category of people that thought this was the biggest weakness of the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  22:12:15  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am looking forward to a shuffling of the Pantheon, it was getting a bit stale. It is also consistent with the real world, in which every polytheistic culture added, removed and renamed their gods as needed (aton to amon to amon re and back again, lol., Catholic Saints, etc.) When the world changes, it makes sense for the theology of it to change as well.

Great opportunities for more story telling there.

I am also looking forward to some shifts in the power struggle. The rise of Shade is interesting and the collapse of the Southern kingoms is a welcome change. Truly looking forward to seeing how Thay comes out of all this.

I was tired of reading about the seven sisters, the chosen of Mystra and Drizzt. This takes care of two out of the three, which, as they say, ain't bad.

The idea of more dangerous environs is also fun, a more perilous world. This syncs up with the game rule changes nicely (if, as they say, you can have 12 enounters straight without resting).

Chaos is always an opportunity for new stories, new heroes, etc. I thoroughly look forward to it, as much as I looked forward to finding out about Realm's past, I now look to writing the future.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  22:24:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranak
I was tired of reading about the seven sisters, the chosen of Mystra and Drizzt. This takes care of two out of the three, which, as they say, ain't bad.

Elminster is still around, though.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  22:37:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's detailing some areas of the Realms that haven't been detailed before, so that's a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  22:42:49  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of Sembia paying for it's past sins by toiling under the Shadovar

Also like that El is still around somewhere, and won't be heartbroken if Lhaeo isn't!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  23:07:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Ed's detailing some areas of the Realms that haven't been detailed before, so that's a good thing.

Oh yeah, that too! I look forward to that.

Go to Top of Page

TwigB
Acolyte

South Africa
46 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  23:47:07  Show Profile Send TwigB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I like the idea of Sembia paying for it's past sins by toiling under the Shadovar

Also like that El is still around somewhere, and won't be heartbroken if Lhaeo isn't!

I won't mind if El is still around, although I do look forward to what Ed has done to him . I mean he survived the death of Mystra once, that must have been quite traumatic. But now he's lost her again, so you'd imagine him being quite shaken, maybe even stark raving mad! I doubt you'd remain very sane after losing one of the most important people in your life...twice.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  23:55:29  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TwigB

quote:

I won't mind if El is still around, although I do look forward to what Ed has done to him . I mean he survived the death of Mystra once, that must have been quite traumatic. But now he's lost her again, so you'd imagine him being quite shaken, maybe even stark raving mad! I doubt you'd remain very sane after losing one of the most important people in your life...twice.

I think it will affect him for sure, but not as greatly as most seem to feel.

I just do not think her has ever been as close to Midnight/Mystra as he was Mystra, so it will not be a blow that he could not recover from.

Although I can easily see him going on a "vengence tour" of the realms. He will surely master the "new magic" faster than almost all others and will no longer be constrained by Mystra. I think he has a few scores to settle. Especially if the Witch Queen falls in the spellplague. If the Simbul would die, or be dehabilitaed....I could see Ed.....Errr I mean El...go on a rampage across the realms destroying followers of Shar.

Now that would be justice served, El decimating Shar's followers, weakening her enough to be snubbed out by another god.

Go to Top of Page

TwigB
Acolyte

South Africa
46 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  00:06:56  Show Profile Send TwigB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I think it will affect him for sure, but not as greatly as most seem to feel.

I just do not think her has ever been as close to Midnight/Mystra as he was Mystra, so it will not be a blow that he could not recover from.

Although I can easily see him going on a "vengence tour" of the realms. He will surely master the "new magic" faster than almost all others and will no longer be constrained by Mystra. I think he has a few scores to settle. Especially if the Witch Queen falls in the spellplague. If the Simbul would die, or be dehabilitaed....I could see Ed.....Errr I mean El...go on a rampage across the realms destroying followers of Shar.

Now that would be justice served, El decimating Shar's followers, weakening her enough to be snubbed out by another god.

Now THAT would be quite the spectacle. Elminster going all Kill Bill on followers of Shar...neat
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  00:14:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to the lore from Brian R James and Ed...

I'm also intrigued by Tymanther.

I'm very much looking forward to learning what Waterdeep is now like... though I don't like the Walking Statues having been left in place. And I worry that the city may have lost some of its magic -- the City of Splendors has long been my favorite place in the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  00:29:37  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also kind of interested in Rich's Moonsea trilogy that he has been talking about, though I'll likely have to wait for the softcover version of the books. I'm especially on board if he does manage a Spelljammer foray into the second book that he said he'd like to write.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  00:33:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mostly, Ed-related Realmslore is what I'm mainly looking for in 4e FR. And the possibility of Brian bringing in a few more Spelljamming tidbits as we had discussed over at WotC.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 23 Jan 2008 00:34:55
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  02:10:21  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree wholeheartedly, a little Spelljammer love would go a long way, IMHO.

I am also looking forward to seeing what El is up to - and Tam. Is he struggling to hold Thay together? I imagine the living Zulkirs went mad with the rest of the mages.

I am neutral on Baldur's Gate becoming the biggest city in the realms via shanty-town expansion, but it will at least provide for some adventure hooks.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Mostly, Ed-related Realmslore is what I'm mainly looking for in 4e FR. And the possibility of Brian bringing in a few more Spelljamming tidbits as we had discussed over at WotC.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  10:49:31  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am looking forward to what lore Ed will spin. Also to see if there are parts of the changes that I will find interesting enough to insert in my 14th century Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  11:13:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hadn't heard anything about Spelljammer stuff being brought in... But you know I'd love to see more love for my first love!

Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  17:21:46  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a number of things I like about the new realms:

1) The future is written for the old realms. It removes a couple of self-imposed constraints.
2) Its a fresh start for me and probably many others. A new spin on Cormyr, the Dalelands and so on. We really need a solution on the Elminster vs Fzoul stalemate. We can explore those lands all over again.
3) The beloved Amn is finally developed. Hopefully.
4) More lore in the core book, from what I read somewhere. Splitting the lore from the crunch is a very good idea.

... so I am positive. Mostly.

Edited by - Snotlord on 23 Jan 2008 18:52:27
Go to Top of Page

Spree Thunderheart
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  17:44:00  Show Profile  Visit Spree Thunderheart's Homepage Send Spree Thunderheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm looking forward to the lore from Brian R James and Ed...

I'm also intrigued by Tymanther.

I'm very much looking forward to learning what Waterdeep is now like... though I don't like the Walking Statues having been left in place. And I worry that the city may have lost some of its magic -- the City of Splendors has long been my favorite place in the Realms.

I am also very intrigued with Tymanther and how the true dragons will react to the dragonborn. Especially since the region was the home of some powerful chromatic dragons.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  17:45:47  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only things I can think of (my view may change after seeing the FRCG) is that Ed and Brian are working on the FRCG and working hard to make it useful and enjoyable for both the 'old guard' and for new players, and that I might end up liking the Living Forgotten Realms campaign, even though I have heard negative responses to the Living Cities campaign of 2e.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  21:08:28  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, when I read some of the newer lore I'm sure I'll find plenty of fodder plot ideas. I'm also hoping that deities, big time power players and the other big movers and shakers are veiled again, rather than stated, written about extensively, ect. The personal stories aspect sounds really inviting too, I'd rather have stories about the everyday FR rather than the uber-climactic FR.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  23:15:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking as a reader and fan . . .

Not to involve myself in the discussion of 3e vs. 4e . . .

But one thing I particularly like is that we'll get to see legend-deserving people having become legendary. There's just something wistful and thought-provoking about that--being able to see the legacies that our favorite heroes fight for, and having been able to live part of their legend. Feeling like the setting is growing and evolving, and having experienced all of it.

(If that makes sense!)

As a corollary to this, we get to see the long-term effects and impacts of events in the present. And that has some GREAT potential right there.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  23:33:25  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Speaking as a reader and fan . . .

Not to involve myself in the discussion of 3e vs. 4e . . .

But one thing I particularly like is that we'll get to see legend-deserving people having become legendary. There's just something wistful and thought-provoking about that--being able to see the legacies that our favorite heroes fight for, and having been able to live part of their legend. Feeling like the setting is growing and evolving, and having experienced all of it.

(If that makes sense!)

As a corollary to this, we get to see the long-term effects and impacts of events in the present. And that has some GREAT potential right there.

Cheers

Hmmmm.... wonders what would Walker's life expectancy be?

Also wonders how his grandchilderen turned out

Edited by - The Red Walker on 23 Jan 2008 23:45:33
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  08:21:08  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not sure if I am objective, as I am actually only starting to get interested in the Realms.
My last exposure was in 2nd edition, when I ran a Moonshae/Bhaal adventure (forgot the title).
3rd ed was taken up by Greyhawk.

Now, I'll be playing and writing Realms stuff for the RPGA, and I have to say that, while there are changes I have reservations about, there is also a lot of cool stuff. The Moonshaes look cool as always (the fey are back with a vengeance). The collapse in the Shaar sounds like one of the most interesting features so far. I do hope the south is still there. I like Dambrath and hope to use it some day.

Anyway. I picked up the 3rd ed. campaigns etting (And a few extra books), and started reading so I at least am up to date on what the world used to look like.
Now, in this new, world, one of the most challenging for me is adding new stuff, writing scenarios and making a plotline that (hopefully) will encourage people to come play and delve into the world's lore, both past and present.
I hope to see you all at a table somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  10:51:50  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, let´s see:

Sembia will be kicked
I´m with a feeling that the 4th edition will be similar to the 2nd edition tome: a good description of key areas, and only one or two paragraphs describing the other areas of the Reamls. ^^
I want to see the evolution of some npcs and organizations, too. What became of every one of them, after 94 years (not much time for a dwarf or an elf - this means that Thormuld [Darkvision] will be kicking around)

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  15:56:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmmm.... wonders what would Walker's life expectancy be?

Also wonders how his grandchilderen turned out

Good questions, both.

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

I want to see the evolution of some npcs and organizations, too. What became of every one of them, after 94 years (not much time for a dwarf or an elf - this means that Thormuld [Darkvision] will be kicking around)

Also a very good point.

That was my first reaction on reading the news--I swear this phrase appeared in my head: "Twilight = elf sucka!"

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  19:33:49  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm told that I still will have a job writing Realms fiction.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  20:31:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

I'm told that I still will have a job writing Realms fiction.

That is positive newss indeed!

Go to Top of Page

TwigB
Acolyte

South Africa
46 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2008 :  23:12:59  Show Profile Send TwigB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New information regarding the realms has come out as a lot of you probably know. They're making some radical changes especially geographically. I'm in favour of most of these changes, I like the idea of this hug gap where most of the Sea of Fallen Stars used to be, now aptly named the Underchasm.

As for Halruaa being blown to chunks, I'm not sure what to make of it, I've always been fond of that nation but I'm curious to see what the designers intend to do with that patch of land.

The only thing I'll admit to being a tad worried about is the talk of Abeir-Toril as what appears to be two separate worlds, Faerun being on Toril and who knows being on Abeir. I'm not to concerned though, as far as I can recall there has never been any mention of them being two separate worlds or one world, it was simply a name, so it gives the designers some gray space to work with. I do hope it's not supposed to be some kind of mirror world...Some sort of fantasy Matrix where you have your Sembia and your new Sembia. If it was 2 very different prime material planes living side by side one another for eons that might be interesting although I wonder how you keep and entire world hidden from its sibling. If anyone has any previous information regarding the naming of the world please post it here.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2008 :  23:24:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If anyone has any previous information regarding the naming of the world please post it here.

Jeff Grubb named the world. Here's an old quote from Ed:

quote:
Jeff contributed the name of the planet (Toril, to which he added the prefix Abeir to shift the world entry to the front of the alphabetical listings in the Old Grey Box) from his campaign. I had no world name because the folks in Faerun knew they lived on something that curved, but considered it all one land.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000