Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Trouble with players
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Belfar
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  10:17:59  Show Profile Send Belfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was recently given the honor of becoming DM after our regular DM quit for reasons beyond his control. I have been DM for less than a year and I keep having the same problem with my players. All three of them want to be fighters and one of them always tries to kill everything and be an experience hog. I was wondering if someone could give me some advice to help me convince my players to roleplay more and help them create a more diverse group.

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  10:31:34  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One scroll
Two scroll
Red scroll
Blue scroll

Sage Seuss to the rescue!

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  10:48:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, this scroll may help a little. A shame it wasn't continued. And, I have here another scroll which you should find useful.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Jun 2003 10:49:16
Go to Top of Page

Belfar
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  19:50:58  Show Profile Send Belfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information. I have an idea for making the group choode different classes though. I was thinking maybe adding dangerous traps and creatures that are only hurt by magic to encourage them to choose different classes.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  06:49:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An excellent idea Belfar, a classic case of necessity being the mother of invention - case in point, the world is populated by monsters that can only be harmed by magic, solution invent PC magic-users.

However, take care in how you organise this, as fighters and the other non-magic classes can have access to powerful magical items such as swords and such that allow these PC's to attack monsters only hurt by magic.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Jun 2003 06:50:06
Go to Top of Page

Belfar
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  07:21:54  Show Profile Send Belfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see what you mean by the magic weapons but the players are only 3rd level so I thought I could throw in a weak creature that can only be hurt by magical means but resists normal weapons such as a ghost, vampire, or something similar.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  07:35:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they are only 3rd-level PC's then maybe you would want to throw a few spell-weavers (from MM2) at them, adjust the stats accordingly of course for the CR. These will definitely prompt a selection of different character classes among your players.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  07:39:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I forgot to mention, for the spell-weavers, if you decide to use them, there is a fair amount of information on the WotC website in their 'Random Encounters' column that has just finished detailing these creatures - it's located here.

Hope that helps,

Go to Top of Page

Belfar
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  08:16:15  Show Profile Send Belfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information once again. I only have the first MM though. I'll come up with something along the lines of a spell weaver to convince them to change classes. If that doesnt work I'll just have to come out and tell them that they need to change classes for the campaign to work.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  08:25:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not entirely sure, as I have not checked in a while but you might want to have a look in the WotC SRD located here. It may have the stats for the Spell-weaver in the Monsters section for you to use.

Go to Top of Page

Belfar
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  09:16:33  Show Profile Send Belfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No luck on the spell weaver stats. I would hate to have to force them to change their classes but I might have to. Thanks for everything though. I recently joined a group that is rp intensive and I hope to get some ideas from that DM since he seems experienced.
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  09:42:17  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think u should first explain them what exactly a priest, a wizard, a bard an others are... frankly, i played all of them, and i don't wanna stay on the lassical fighter...
after a good explanation, some could take a rogue, i think its a good start for players that have never played, haven't they?
Go to Top of Page

Belfar
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  10:06:32  Show Profile Send Belfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The original group we had was good. I would play cleric and the other two were a rouge and a fighter. The DM wanted to play, so the rouge switched with him and the DM became a ranger/fighter. So now we had a cleric, fighter, ranger/fighter. Another guy joined and he tried a druid. He hated it and soon changed to a fighter. Now 2 weeks ago the DM had an argument with one of the players and quit. Now I was given the honor of being DM since I was the most creative and enjoyed the roleplaying aspect of the game. Those are the events since about July of 2002 when the group first started playing. I would love to play again and be a wizard but I must be DM. The reason the group doesnt want to be a magic using class is because they find all of the charts and spell descriptions too complicated to be fun. I hope I can convince one of them to be a rouge at least. The fighter/ranger has the perfect pesonality for it I just need to convince him.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  10:16:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mentioned that you have a ranger/fighter in your group, and also, that your players do not like the complicated charts and spell descriptions. I wonder then, how this player works the magic system. Perhaps he could show the others how easy it is to work. And also, since the ranger's magic system is the same as a clerics, and a clerics spell system and workings is similiar to a sorcerer, there seems to be very little in the way to preventing them from learning how to work the system properly.

If complication surrounding the magic system is difficult for your players, instead of suggesting wizards, try and see whether being a sorcerer would work since they are a little easier to work than a wizard in terms of stats, and the magic system.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  10:17:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, the fighter/ranger was the former DM, who's now left.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  10:20:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No he hasn't, he's still there. In Belfar's last post he said -
quote:
The fighter/ranger has the perfect pesonality for it I just need to convince him.
This suggests that the PC is still there, and needs convincing to change classes for the party.

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Jun 2003 10:22:54
Go to Top of Page

Belfar
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  10:30:38  Show Profile Send Belfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, the rogue left the group. Sorry about the confusing post. To start out, when we began the game all of us were inexperienced (I had a little knowledge because I had played Baldur' Gate). The DM was as inexperienced as the rest of us. That is the main reason we had such troubles in the beginning. I seem to be the most exprienced out of all of them because I have been studying anything I can find related to DnD. The ranger/fighter doesn't bother with spells, he only became a ranger for the two-weapon fighting. I need to study the magic system a bit more. The troubles of a new and inexperienced DM are many.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  10:49:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe you ought to just do a little choose-it-by-chance. Winner gets to stay a fighter. Looser becomes a sorcerer (I say sorcerer and not wizard because the fact that the sorcerer has more fighting talent would go over better). And the runner-up is a rogue.

Go to Top of Page

Belfar
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  10:53:41  Show Profile Send Belfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good idea bookwyrm. I salute you. I might give them a choice of the three but if they start to argue I'll let the d6 decide.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  10:55:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Belfar, when I had trouble with some players not wanting to play magic-users because of the amount of work, I used some ideas from this article. It had some interesting techniques for running a low-magic world, which may help you with your campaigns.

Go to Top of Page

Belfar
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2003 :  01:25:02  Show Profile Send Belfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the article Sage but I still want to have some magic in my games. Even if I can't convince them to do a magic using class I still want to use magic using npcs. I am going to try to have them use a sorceror since they have an easier magic system to deal with.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000