Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Dragons of Autumn Twilight Movie Trailer
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ioulaum
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  18:30:22  Show Profile  Visit Ioulaum's Homepage Send Ioulaum a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has anyone seen it yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHrOfJ8_D0o

The animation is atrocity.

First 4th ed and now this. Can't WotC do anything right?

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  18:47:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ick, I'm not impressed with the animation either.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  20:58:08  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm.. classic cartoon and CGI is not a good mix .

Edited by - Skeptic on 11 Dec 2007 22:17:16
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  22:22:28  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm telling you friends: get at least a 3-year's worth of fantasy satisfaction by seeing Beowulf in IMAX 3D. Whoever made this movie is an animation visionary...

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 11 Dec 2007 22:22:52
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  22:32:01  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That looks...like a bad retro animation flick of doom and despair...

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  23:00:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The animation certainly left a lot to be desired... And the CGI was just jarring. And there at the end of the trailer, was that a green dragon breathing fire?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  00:21:49  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The animation certainly left a lot to be desired... And the CGI was just jarring. And there at the end of the trailer, was that a green dragon breathing fire?

Brutal, talk about back to the 80's!!

Am I wrong or couldn't all DL dragons breath "simple fire" then only the reds and golds breathe "dragonfire"?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  01:17:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Am I wrong or couldn't all DL dragons breath "simple fire" then only the reds and golds breathe "dragonfire"?

I don't recall anything being different about DL draconic breath weapons.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  01:36:34  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually at around 1:12 ALL of the dragon's heads are breathing fire. I'll have to refresh my memory, but this does not seem right.

BTW, the official site says this is a rough cut trailer that they used at GenCon - they are having trouble releasing a "finished" trailor due to "talent issues" (Like Kiefer Sutherland - Raistlin- being in jail maybe?)

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  01:46:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

BTW, the official site says this is a rough cut trailer that they used at GenCon - they are having trouble releasing a "finished" trailor due to "talent issues"...

Well, that can't be a good thing!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  02:20:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And there at the end of the trailer, was that a green dragon breathing fire?
What!?! Where's the chlorine gas?
quote:

DL dragons have breath weapons that vary by subspecies of dragon.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  03:03:43  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

And there at the end of the trailer, was that a green dragon breathing fire?
What!?! Where's the chlorine gas?
quote:

DL dragons have breath weapons that vary by subspecies of dragon.

Ah, The perils of too many novels with to many differences floating in my head!

Edited by - The Red Walker on 12 Dec 2007 03:04:06
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  09:03:09  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That would be a good thing in my book. This, unfortunatly does not look good; one can only hope that what they say about it being a rough version is true.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  09:30:16  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was awful...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  13:19:09  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
- no comment in order to keeo in line with the CoC -

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  14:16:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

That would be a good thing in my book. This, unfortunatly does not look good; one can only hope that what they say about it being a rough version is true.

Heh. There's "good 80s" and "bad 80s". This would be bad 80s.

Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  15:17:26  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some things that just shouldn't be done...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  15:59:10  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

quote:

Well, someone should have a small talk with Rankin/Bass. That is a version I would love to see.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  16:11:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well, someone should have a small talk with Rankin/Bass. That is a version I would love to see.

*grins*

Conventionally animated...or stop-motion animated?

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  00:11:06  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

*grins*

Conventionally animated...or stop-motion animated?

Your absolutely wicked aren't you?

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  00:48:05  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A stop-motion movie would be cute, really!

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  03:16:48  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Nightmare Before Shieldmeet....

I'd see that.

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  06:42:33  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd see it . But I did mean a conventionaly animated movie.
Go to Top of Page

Iliana N-letur
Acolyte

Netherlands
13 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  15:27:14  Show Profile  Visit Iliana N-letur's Homepage Send Iliana N-letur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being less than impressed here.

A small (4'9") moon elf, with odd pale golden hair and startling violet eyes. See her for the first time, there's fair bit of Faerie 'fascinate' involved.
A slightly curved sword and pseudo dragon familiar are never far away.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  01:55:10  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Claymation would kick this trailers Butt

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  08:12:11  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

And good 80s would be... I can't think of anything except some Billy Bragg or Housemartins albums, oh, and dancing germans on the Berlin Wall.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  11:59:57  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

quote:

quote:

And good 80s would be... I can't think of anything except some Billy Bragg or Housemartins albums, oh, and dancing germans on the Berlin Wall.

You forget old editions of D&D and early swedish heavy metal The list goes on and on.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  15:27:55  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase
And good 80s would be... I can't think of anything except... oh, and dancing germans on the Berlin Wall.

Thanks for mentioning that!

I do remember one other tihng though bringing this topic closer to being Realms related - the old gray box was published in the 80s (1987) too!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  21:52:27  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ioulaum

Has anyone seen it yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHrOfJ8_D0o

The animation is atrocity.

First 4th ed and now this. Can't WotC do anything right?

The animation is dated. CG or no, if their target audience is in the 12-15 year old age bracket, then they were looking at the wrong action cartoons to use as models. It looks too much like GI Joe, He-Man and She-Ra, all geared for the age group below (7-11). They really should have been looking at the Batman and X-men animated series. Wierdly enough, it does look like some of the DVDs beginning to be released with toys nowadays...

I do not really have a preference for CG animation or traditional animation styles, but when the two are used in combination, I do expect that they are sutured together so that a viewer cannot tell where one style ends and the other begins in the sequence. It's jarring otherwise. I'd be willing to bet that this is a straight to DVD release.

I hope that if WotC decides to do an animated Realms flick, they will have the good sense to farm the work out to an animation studio with better technique, say Studio Ghibli or Production IG or some other company with a similar style and attention to detail with regards to combining animation techniques. I really hate seeing good stories wrecked by lousy animation.

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.

Edited by - Lady Fellshot on 18 Dec 2007 01:52:03
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  18:21:26  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, this is perfectly hideous. They need to watch something like Ghost in the Shell (either movies or TV series) to, you know, see how animation and CGI mix can be done right.

Kek at the "straight to DVD" thing. Hahaha.
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2007 :  02:00:26  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I kind of like the style used for Escaflowne the movie - It seemed a mix to me, but what do I know? I'd like to see DL done in a similar way - it seemed very dark and forbodeing.

And yeah - even though this is the "unfinished" trailor, it has straight to DVD written all over it.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Edited by - Brynweir on 18 Dec 2007 02:08:49
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000