Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ironfang Keep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  07:40:31  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Brian James just posted an excellent Realms lore article on Iron Fang keep on DnD Insider. I loved the write up, Minotaurs happen to be one of my favorite monsters, and I am happy to see one in the role of High Priest, versus the usual barbarian/savage portrayal of the race.

Question - has Ironfang keep been featured in any of the Realms novels or official adventures? I would like to find a map of the interior.

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  08:25:53  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For easy reference: you will find the write up here. And I have to agree - it is excellent though somewhat bizzare!

Unforutantelly I cannot help you, Ranak, with your question. I don't recall any map being published of that place.

However, you will find minor information, though not nearly as detailed as Brians write up, in the 2nd Ed. FRCS, p. 66 and a nice story of Mongo the Dwarf surviving Ironfang Keep in the 'Running the Realms' section of the same FRCS on p. 24.
Moreover, there is detailed information in the Moonsea sourcebook about the close vicinity of the Keep (Titel: Getting there is half the Fun?), with discriptions of magical protections, dead magic zones and much more. You might find that helpful. Finally, see also 3rd Ed. FRCS p. 160.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 07 Nov 2007 09:02:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  10:14:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish they'd provide a download link for those articles...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  11:37:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a few tidbits in Bloodstone Lands as well. Also, see Demihuman Deities for two brief tidbits in Deep Duerra's entry.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  14:47:05  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow...authentic information about Haask, Voice of Hargut after all this time. Will wonders never cease?

Brian - How soon before we find out what's been happening with Maram of the Great Spear, Borem of the Lake of Boiling Mud and Camnod the Unseen??? I can't wait!!!

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849

Edited by - Halidan on 07 Nov 2007 14:47:33
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  15:31:21  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

Wow...authentic information about Haask, Voice of Hargut after all this time. Will wonders never cease?

Brian - How soon before we find out what's been happening with Maram of the Great Spear, Borem of the Lake of Boiling Mud and Camnod the Unseen??? I can't wait!!!

Where was Haask, Voice of Hargut mentioned the first time? I don't recall hearing from him earlier... or was he mentioned/did I miss an entry in the GHotR, by any chance?

Gathered Sages, enlighten me!

Edit note: I did a research myself. He (as well as the others Halidan mentioned) is one of the 'Five lost Gods' from the 'Pool of Radiance' game/novel.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 07 Nov 2007 18:19:10
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  16:13:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that I've read the article... Good stuff!

I liked seeing the reference to the "green" guy -- that was something that I always found creepy. And seeing the Dark Three as part of the Keep's history was just plain cool.

Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  17:23:36  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I wish they'd provide a download link for those articles...

There's supposed to be a compiled PDF of the whole Dragon #360 issue soon... Who knows when, though

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  18:33:31  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Where was Haask, Voice of Hargut mentioned the first time? I don't recall hearing from him earlier... or was he mentioned/did I miss an entry in the GHotR, by any chance?

It's a far more obscure original reference than the GHotR, Ergdusch and I suspect that there are only a few gronards (like myself) that even remember it. I think I have this right, but if I'm missing anything, I invite anyone to jump in:

In the first Realms-based computer game - the 1988 SSI gold box version of the Pools of Radiance, there was an opportunity in an ancient temple of Bane to read an old, black bound book written in a halting script. It read:

quote:
Originally from the SSI Pools of Radiance game

"...and settled foremost in the half of Minor Courtiers were the lesser powers: Maram of the Great Spear; Haask, Voice of Hargut; Tyranthraxus the Flamed One; Borem of the Lake of Boiling Mud; and Camnod the Unseen. These too fell down and became servants of the great lord Bane."

Ever sine then, some sages (like myself) have been trying to find out more information about these five "lesser powers" of Bane.

In the early days of the MPGN Realms listseve, it was suggested that these powers might be five of the seven "forgotten gods" from Westgate. This wasn't correct and despite several requests for additional lore, nothing was forthcomming until we learned about Tyranthraxus and his involvement with the Cult of the Dragon and the Pool of Radiance in Myth Drannor.

Now, BRJ has given us hope that these lesser servants of Bane may one day get a chance at the spotlight. Or at least I hope so.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  19:57:08  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

It's a far more obscure original reference than the GHotR, Ergdusch and I suspect that there are only a few gronards (like myself) that even remember it. I think I have this right, but if I'm missing anything, I invite anyone to jump in:

In the first Realms-based computer game - the 1988 SSI gold box version of the Pools of Radiance, there was an opportunity in an ancient temple of Bane to read an old, black bound book written in a halting script. It read:

quote:

"...and settled foremost in the half of Minor Courtiers were the lesser powers: Maram of the Great Spear; Haask, Voice of Hargut; Tyranthraxus the Flamed One; Borem of the Lake of Boiling Mud; and Camnod the Unseen. These too fell down and became servants of the great lord Bane."

Ever sine then, some sages (like myself) have been trying to find out more information about these five "lesser powers" of Bane.

In the early days of the MPGN Realms listseve, it was suggested that these powers might be five of the seven "forgotten gods" from Westgate. This wasn't correct and despite several requests for additional lore, nothing was forthcomming until we learned about Tyranthraxus and his involvement with the Cult of the Dragon and the Pool of Radiance in Myth Drannor.

Now, BRJ has given us hope that these lesser servants of Bane may one day get a chance at the spotlight. Or at least I hope so.

Thanks for this insight! Very much enlightening indeed. This whole thing is very interesting, if not intriguing!

Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  20:35:50  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Fantastic! I am constantly amazed by the depth of knowledge here. I just had a flashback to reading that in Pool of Radiance - I even remember the creepy quiet of the temple, and the impressive stained glass graphics (for a Commodore 64...)

Borem and Camnod have great potential for future plots as well. I noticed in the end of Brian's article that Haask has thrown his lot in with Malar and Ghuanadaur. Could make for some interesting rivalry with Church of Bane.
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  20:55:25  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranak

[quote]Borem and Camnod have great potential for future plots as well. I noticed in the end of Brian's article that Haask has thrown his lot in with Malar and Ghuanadaur. Could make for some interesting rivalry with Church of Bane.

That's a point that's peaked my curiousity as well. Did all the "lesser powers" gone over to other dieties during Bane's absence/death? Did most of them stick with Xvim? Will Bane make a play to either bring Haask back into the fold or destroy him? The possibilities are quite interesting.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  23:19:03  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The article was awesome...but there was one thing I didn't like about it:

The Keep itself. I pictured it differently really...much more titanic in scale compared to the picture of it.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  01:14:41  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the past there haven't been a lot of talk of Minotaurs in the Realms primarily because they were featured prominently in the Dragonlance setting. But I like Minotaurs as well and was happy to insert them into the lore of the Moonsea region.

I am unaware of any interior map of the Keep.

quote:

Brian James just posted an excellent Realms lore article on Iron Fang keep on DnD Insider. I loved the write up, Minotaurs happen to be one of my favorite monsters, and I am happy to see one in the role of High Priest, versus the usual barbarian/savage portrayal of the race.

Question - has Ironfang keep been featured in any of the Realms novels or official adventures? I would like to find a map of the interior.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  01:18:04  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Borem's defeat by the Dark Three is briefly described by Eric Boyd in the Grand History p.46. As to tales about Maram, Camnod, or Tyranthraxus, only time will tell.
quote:

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  01:22:41  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's a far more obscure original reference than the GHotR, Ergdusch and I suspect that there are only a few gronards (like myself) that even remember it.
Count me as one of those gronards then. Pool of Radiance on my Commodore 128 was my first introduction to the Forgotten Realms, and I'm thrilled to have had the opportunity to write about one of the mysterious lesser powers mentioned in the game journal.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  02:16:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being a minotaur fan myself, I can't help but add to this discussion...
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

In the past there haven't been a lot of talk of Minotaurs in the Realms primarily because they were featured prominently in the Dragonlance setting. But I like Minotaurs as well and was happy to insert them into the lore of the Moonsea region.
Well, we've had minotaurs referenced in Realmslore for the Moonsea region previously, so your article works as a nice addition to that.

And, as we know, the minotaur race doesn't feature prominently in the Realms. There are of course minotaurs in Faerûn, but they are not a wholly organised people with a land or nation or their own.

We know, from Ed, that -

"Faerunian minotaurs are very rarely seen or mentioned for the same reason psionics was downplayed for so long; they’re considered essential elements of another TSR/now WotC product line (minotaurs meant Dragonlance, psionics meant Dark Sun). So while they’re in the Realms (the ‘home of everything’ for 2nd Edition D&D), we weren’t allowed to feature them in adventures or novels, or make more than passing mention of them."

and,

"Capn Charlie. I like both of your minotaur isle ideas, and yes, I have always included a FEW intelligent, refined minotaurs, though most are brutish, barbarian-level “grunting beasts.” I’ve always treated lizard men the same way; most are tribal warriors with much cunning but not a whole lot of inspirational intellect (i.e. they can learn a new weapon, trap, or battlefield danger in a hurry in a fight with PCs, but don’t lead lives of complex culture), but a few are every bit as intelligent and accomplished as most humans. This usually means that they’re smart enough to keep isolated and largely hidden from humans."

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  02:41:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually pretty surprised--I had no idea that minotaurs were a distinctly Dragonlance thing (until now?). I thought Dragonlance was mainly about, well, dragons.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  03:07:44  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully Minotaurs will get some love in 4E!
Very interesting article.
The Dark Three, well they just rock anyway!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 08 Nov 2007 03:08:27
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  04:55:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I'm actually pretty surprised--I had no idea that minotaurs were a distinctly Dragonlance thing (until now?). I thought Dragonlance was mainly about, well, dragons.

The main continent had a couple islands of them, and the other big continent had a huge minotaur nation.

Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  05:48:53  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The main continent had a couple islands of them, and the other big continent had a huge minotaur nation.

And... Kas the Minotaur was a popular character. I am glad they are rare in the realms, it makes their appearance more surprising, say if your party was wandering through Ironfang.

As for the artwork in the article, I agree I imagined it more soaring in dimensions because of the giants... perhaps all it needed was a little perspective, a tiny person in front of it, etc. I zoomed into the PDF and couldn't find any real referential objects for perspective.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  06:11:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Specifically, the Blood Sea Isle minotaur nations, on Ansalon. And the Kazelati nation, on the far eastern Holakan Islands. The Imperial League is the minotaur nation on Taladas.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  06:13:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And... Kas the Minotaur was a popular character.
Indeed. Kaz[iganthi] de-Orilg remains one of my favorite DL characters, since the time of his first appearance in the early published material for the setting.

Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  07:54:15  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

And... Kas the Minotaur was a popular character.
Indeed. Kaz[iganthi] de-Orilg remains one of my favorite DL characters, since the time of his first appearance in the early published material for the setting.

Sorry, my spelling is abysmal... lol. Legend of Huma was actually the first DL book I ever read, not reading the seminal works until later.

I hope we see an Ironfang Keep adventure on DnD Insider sometime soon.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  14:27:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Needless to say I haven't gotten into Dragonlance, so I appreciate all the information. I still don't understand why it was necessary to "ignore" minotaurs in Faerun because of that (they were a legitimate FR monster after all), but oh well.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  17:13:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Needless to say I haven't gotten into Dragonlance, so I appreciate all the information. I still don't understand why it was necessary to "ignore" minotaurs in Faerun because of that (they were a legitimate FR monster after all), but oh well.

It was felt that if there was a focus on them, it would be too much like Dragginglance. Keeping them in the background kept there from being any perceptions of similarity between the settings.

Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  18:38:47  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

TSR was somewhat chaotic yet had a lot of crazy rules, and I understand that the editors were also very erratic, sometimes editing a book to the point where it barely made sense.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  23:30:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats Okay, I moved both Kender and 'Krynotaurs' into my Realms (the standard ones are bigger and more primitive, and the Krynnish ones have human feet rather then hooves). Just because TSR/WotC chooses to ignore something doesn't mean we can't use it anyway.

BTW, I altered the pic - the doorways were too large compared to the rest of the building.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/MarkusTay/Ironfang_Keep2.jpg

Now imagine that the doorways are made to allow Titans, and the Dragon above is a venerable Great Wyrm.

BTW - Great article Brian.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Nov 2007 23:31:33
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  23:39:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Thats Okay, I moved both Kender...
And we've had kender in the Realms before -- Emilo Haversack, from Tymora's Luck.
quote:
...and 'Krynotaurs' into my Realms (the standard ones are bigger and more primitive, and the Krynnish ones have human feet rather then hooves).
They're not exactly "human feet." Rather, the feet of Krynnish minotaurs end in twin toes with hoof-like toenails.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  00:11:52  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

And we've had kender in the Realms before -- Emilo Haversack, from Tymora's Luck.
quote:
...and 'Krynotaurs' into my Realms (the standard ones are bigger and more primitive, and the Krynnish ones have human feet rather then hooves).
They're not exactly "human feet." Rather, the feet of Krynnish minotaurs end in twin toes with hoof-like toenails.

Aren't the Halflings in D&D pretty much Kender now...but without the taunting ability? LOL

I mean...I miss my rolly-polly fellas.

A bit more on topic though, that is a nice pic Markustay, nice adaptation. I just never thought of Ironfang being the domain of a beast cult...cool add; just was never something I thought about.

My take on it was that it was more akin to the Celestial Tower in the D&D cartoon where the Celestial Knights lived. I pictured it as perhaps even a pocket dimension...and even wrote a mini-adventure that included a "Celestial Knight" that hailed from Ironfang...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  05:11:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I figure there's much more below ground that we can't see. I like the pic a lot, but the text says there is onlty one entrance, yet the illustration clearly has two. However, since the second door is a wee bit hard to get too, I suppose it doesn't really count as an 'entrance'.

I'm thinking there's a hidden entrance behind the waterfall as well... there always is.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not mine.

I based my Minotaur kingdom off of the ones on Krynn, but they are not exactly the same.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000