Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Cormanthor/Cormanthyr?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zaknafein
Seeker

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2003 :  02:59:54  Show Profile  Visit Zaknafein's Homepage Send Zaknafein a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, i have had this question for some time and all i want to know is why is it spelled Cormanthor in Ed Greenwood's Elminster in Myth Drannor, and in almost every other source it is spelled Cormanthyr?

Zaknafein Do'Urden: mentor, teacher, friend....To Zak, the one who inspired my courage. -Drizzt Do'Urden

Full plate and packing steel.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2003 :  08:22:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The main difference between the two listings of names, is, basically this - The Kingdom of CORMANTHYR is the empire of Elves in Faerun, while CORMANTHOR is the great forest where the kingdom is mostly located.

Elminster's adventures in Elminster in Myth Drannor occured throughout the forest realm of CORMANTHOR. The campaign expansion CORMANTHYR - Empire of Elves details the entire elven kingdom, families, and everything else associated with the CORMANTHYR Kingdom.

It is also why the 'Lost Empires' novel - The Lost Library of Cormanthyr details the adventures concerning the events surrounding the library of the Kingdom of CORMANTHYR.

Hope that helps,

(Sorry for all the capitals but it helps to make the point easier to follow )

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 28 May 2003 08:28:34
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2003 :  17:05:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And to add to what Sage of Perth has correctly noted, I think that prior to the raising of the mythal, the city known now as Myth Drannor was named Cormanthor.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Zaknafein
Seeker

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2003 :  23:29:07  Show Profile  Visit Zaknafein's Homepage Send Zaknafein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok, thanks. Yes, i did know why it was called Myth Drannor, I just didnt know the forest realm was named Cormanthor

Zaknafein Do'Urden: mentor, teacher, friend....To Zak, the one who inspired my courage. -Drizzt Do'Urden

Full plate and packing steel.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  01:25:40  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think this is quite right. Cormanthor is the physical forest and also the city that becomes Myth Drannor; Cormanthyr is the elven realm that encompasses the forest of Cormanthor. Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves p. 26 explains in most detail. In Elminster in Myth Drannor the elves refer to the city of Cormanthor a lot, where you may be expecting them to talk about the realm of Cormanthyr.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  09:27:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The FRCS 3e, and the most up-to-date official information regarding the Realms clearly states the differences in names, located in the Cormanthyr entry, in that book.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  04:20:50  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Sage,

This kind of material is exactly why I very much enjoy this site so much. The fine details that help us all enjoy these fine Realms that much more!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

The main difference between the two listings of names, is, basically this - The Kingdom of CORMANTHYR is the empire of Elves in Faerun, while CORMANTHOR is the great forest where the kingdom is mostly located.

Elminster's adventures in Elminster in Myth Drannor occured throughout the forest realm of CORMANTHOR. The campaign expansion CORMANTHYR - Empire of Elves details the entire elven kingdom, families, and everything else associated with the CORMANTHYR Kingdom.

It is also why the 'Lost Empires' novel - The Lost Library of Cormanthyr details the adventures concerning the events surrounding the library of the Kingdom of CORMANTHYR.

Hope that helps,

(Sorry for all the capitals but it helps to make the point easier to follow )

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  14:02:40  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I strongly recommend those who don't have them look on ebay or the PDF sites and get copies of all the old 1st and 2nd Edition material.

It is so rich with details and if you have not read it, you can't know the realms very well at all.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  15:20:25  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Even the old Wizards site had lots of fun PDFs. Speaking of which.
From Cormanthyr (Elvish Lessons sidebar):
quote:
Much confusion arises over the mixing of terms and the recording of the same into Common and other more accessible languages. Much of the subtlety of Elvish is lost in the translation, and even today, four centuries after the entrance of the
N'Tel'Quess into Myth Drannor, there are those who confuse the forest, city, and realm.
* The physical forest of the elves is Cormanthor; pronounce the word as <kor-manth-OR> and stress the last syllable to mean "the King's Vow Forest."
* The original capitol city (and still the great center of Myth Drannor) is Cormanthor; pronounce the word as <kor-MANTH-or>, stressing the middle syllable, means "Place of Great Promise."
* Cormanthor, when pronounced as <KOR-manth-or> is a reference to the ruler of the realm as "King of the Oathlands" or "Ruler of the Forest True." This term is rarely used by gold or moon elves, but is considered a title of honor among the sylvan elves; the use of this term is identical to the human clans' referring to their clan leader by the clan name as a gender-neutral title ("the Umathar of Clan Umathar").
* The political construct of the realm, the nation, all the settlements under one government are all Cormanthyr; <kor-manth-EER> translates to both "the Fulfillment of Promise" and "Culmination of Hope and Faith."

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  16:20:55  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Mage,

I couldn't agree more. I have had mine since they were published, and unfortunately for those who are looking to get them now they are terribly expensive most of the time, however I must say that it is awesome being able to go to your expansive shelves and get what is needed in person, between your fingers to get what lore you need in the ole fashion!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I strongly recommend those who don't have them look on ebay or the PDF sites and get copies of all the old 1st and 2nd Edition material.

It is so rich with details and if you have not read it, you can't know the realms very well at all.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  16:22:00  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master TBeholder,

I will say as well that the PDF's are quite nice too. While I do have everything printed of the Realms, I have to say for the purposes of scanning the material via a pdf, it is very valuable indeed! It makes researching lore vastly quicker.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Indeed. Even the old Wizards site had lots of fun PDFs. Speaking of which.
From Cormanthyr (Elvish Lessons sidebar):
quote:
Much confusion arises over the mixing of terms and the recording of the same into Common and other more accessible languages. Much of the subtlety of Elvish is lost in the translation, and even today, four centuries after the entrance of the
N'Tel'Quess into Myth Drannor, there are those who confuse the forest, city, and realm.
* The physical forest of the elves is Cormanthor; pronounce the word as <kor-manth-OR> and stress the last syllable to mean "the King's Vow Forest."
* The original capitol city (and still the great center of Myth Drannor) is Cormanthor; pronounce the word as <kor-MANTH-or>, stressing the middle syllable, means "Place of Great Promise."
* Cormanthor, when pronounced as <KOR-manth-or> is a reference to the ruler of the realm as "King of the Oathlands" or "Ruler of the Forest True." This term is rarely used by gold or moon elves, but is considered a title of honor among the sylvan elves; the use of this term is identical to the human clans' referring to their clan leader by the clan name as a gender-neutral title ("the Umathar of Clan Umathar").
* The political construct of the realm, the nation, all the settlements under one government are all Cormanthyr; <kor-manth-EER> translates to both "the Fulfillment of Promise" and "Culmination of Hope and Faith."

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000