Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Origins of demihumans in Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2007 :  20:05:35  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The FRCS states thats the population of Cormyr is made up of 85% humans, 10% half-elves and 4% elves (leaving 1% to all other races of course). The origin and presence of half-something races in Cormyr can easily be explained. However, I wonder what the origins of those demihuman races (elves, dwarves, gnomes, ect.) could be?

Are there still any elven tribes or settlements in the forests of Cormyr (King's, Hullack, Hermits Woods) that we know of?

Any dwarven communities in the Storm Horns or the Thunder Peaks or elsewhere?

What about the Halflings and Gnomes?

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Oct 2007 00:56:10

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2007 :  07:15:31  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My guess without checking any books; the dwarves would mainly be descendants of craftsmen coming from Turmish and the smaller holds of the west, in addition to refugees from Tethyamar. The elves are immigrants from (in addition to descendants of) elves from Cormanthor settling in the land, with maybe a spattering of old elven families from the early days of Cormyr. Haflings and gnomes can be found in most major settlements as they travel to urban areas. Most of these hin probably originated in the Sunset Vale area to the west.

Again, I am just speculating here and there might be canon sources saying otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2007 :  14:27:36  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jorken's supposition is what I would go with as well. It makes sense and its pretty much what I was thinking when I first read the post.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2007 :  15:43:36  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would add that the Dwarves are from either Tethyamar or the old dwarven kingdom that once existed in the mountians to the west...the latter may have been in Cormyr in various areas before the humans even settled the area.

I can't remember the name of the Dwarven Kingdom that was once there, but it stands to reason they wouldn't have left all those fine mountains that sit within Cormyr all alone without friendly hands to mine them.

Anyone know the name of the Kingdom that I'm thinking about?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2007 :  19:44:42  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many dwarves and (even more so) halflings and gnomes have been present in human society for so long that it's wrong to see them as coming from somewhere else.

Demihuman settlements in Cormyr include Black Oaks/Gray Oaks, a tiny halfling village called Besert in the east (see Dragon #269), other 'halfling hamlets in the coast and east reaches farm belt' (Volo's Guide to Cormyr p. 110), and communities of elves and halflings in the King's Forest (Volo's Guide to Cormyr p. 123, etc.).
quote:
Originally posted by dalor_darden
Anyone know the name of the Kingdom that I'm thinking about?

Oghrann.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  10:19:47  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

My guess without checking any books; the dwarves would mainly be descendants of craftsmen coming from Turmish and the smaller holds of the west, in addition to refugees from Tethyamar. The elves are immigrants from (in addition to descendants of) elves from Cormanthor settling in the land, with maybe a spattering of old elven families from the early days of Cormyr. Haflings and gnomes can be found in most major settlements as they travel to urban areas. Most of these hin probably originated in the Sunset Vale area to the west.

Again, I am just speculating here and there might be canon sources saying otherwise.

Jorkens, thanks for your participation. This is what I came up with as well, but what I am looking for is detailed canon information on known settlements of demihumans. E.g. as we have seen in the Candlekeep Compendiums on the town of Glen or the halfling settlement of Stumphill.

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Demihuman settlements in Cormyr include Black Oaks/Gray Oaks, a tiny halfling village called Besert in the east (see Dragon #269), other 'halfling hamlets in the coast and east reaches farm belt' (Volo's Guide to Cormyr p. 110), and communities of elves and halflings in the King's Forest (Volo's Guide to Cormyr p. 123, etc.)

Much appreciated Faraer!
That is exactly the info I was hoping for. Even though I have Volo's Guide myself, I must have missed those entries.

Do we have more infos on demihuman settlements elsewhere, e.g. in novels?!?!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 23 Oct 2007 11:01:02
Go to Top of Page

Surly Dwarf
Acolyte

Australia
20 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  01:57:15  Show Profile  Visit Surly Dwarf's Homepage Send Surly Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dwarven kingdom to the west was Oghrann.
The last King of Tethyamar lived in Cormyr, but has since died.
Many of the Dwarves in Cormyr would have come from the ruined dwarven city Thunderhome in the Thunder peaks, there may be a settlement of Dwarves near High Dale at a place called the Black Peak, ands thats just a one line reference from Dwarves Deep.

"Governing a large country is like boiling a small fish."
Lao Tzu
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000