Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Some spell questions... Possible spoilers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  14:45:35  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In the WofSQ Gromph needs a new pair of eyes that he takes from an enemy. Is there an actual spell for taking other peoples eyes after having your familiar eat out your own eyes?

In Stormlight there are a few spells referenced that I would love to know more about. The first being the alarm-like spell that shows if anyone has used magic in the vicinity that makes a big show if some one has used magic. The second being Storm's spell of seeing through other people's eyes if they call her name. Thirdly what is this spell blade that I heard about in the first part of the novel.

Please keep in mind that this is a 2nd edition book (by the looks of it) and I play 3.5 and have almost forgotten most of my 2nd edition years because of this new adaptation.

Illum
The Wandering Mage

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  17:14:30  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Thirdly what is this spell blade that I heard about in the first part of the novel.

I haven't read Stormlight, but the only Spellblade I know of was the Moonblade (or was it and Elfblade?) of Myth Drannor that was lost when it fell.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 18 Oct 2007 17:17:23
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  18:48:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't believe there has ever been a spell written up in 3rd edition for harvesting organs of any type (though I may be wrong). If there were, I'd expect to find it in the book of vile darkness.
Spellblade rings a bell... I know there are spellblades which block certain spells... but I want to say there was also a spellblade spell, but I don't remember what it did. As well, my second edition information is slowing rotting out. As to the spell which allowed her to see through the eyes of anyone who said her name, I'd almost guarantee that this was never written up in any edition. Should be doable, but it would be pretty powerful.... maybe even requiring it to be done as if it were a virtual magic item.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  18:53:20  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'm pretty sure that the stuff storm have about being able to see though the eyes of those speaking her name is a feat in a Dragon ...

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  21:37:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
actually now that you say that, yeah, the second to last issue of dragon I think had somethings that were similiar.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  07:18:48  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Thirdly what is this spell blade that I heard about in the first part of the novel.

I haven't read Stormlight, but the only Spellblade I know of was the Moonblade (or was it and Elfblade?) of Myth Drannor that was lost when it fell.

If you talking about a very powerful artifact sword lost when Myth Drannor fell, you are probably talking about one of the Elfblades, either the Crownblade, the Artblade or the Warblade. The one lost in the middle of Myth Drannor's fall was the Artblade, the Crown Blade disappeared with the Srinshee right before the fall of MD. I don't remember when the Warblade was lost.

The hereditary swords passed down through Moon elf clans are moonblades. I suppose a "spellblade" could be either a sword conjured up by magic or a sword with a spell stored in it.

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  08:03:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Ary'Velahr'Kerym [or Warblade] was lost during the siege of the Twisted Tower in -331 DR.

See Cormanthyr, Fall of Myth Drannor and Lost Empires of Faerūn for lore on the Elfblades of Cormanthyr [being the aforementioned Crownblade, Artblade and Warblade].

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  16:09:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spellblade was a type of magic item in 2nd edition. It got converted to 3rd edition in Magic of Faerun. Its a specific type of magic weapon bonus (+1 bonus) which can block specific spells indicated during its creation. It absorbs the spell, and the wielder can either let it drain off or hurl it elsewhere the next round. The spell must be that is "targeted against the wielder"... which opens up to determination of whether caster only spells fall into this category. If it would be allowable in your game, then creating a weapon that absorbed a buff and transferred it should be plausible (though, such a weapon would cost 4000 gp + xp to make). It shouldn't work with spell triggering effects that store other spells (i.e. contingency), but it could be a way to transfer a fire shield effect for instance.... though doing so would take 2 rounds (1 to cast, 1 to transfer). I would recommend thinking carefully before allowing this idea, though if a player were to find an intriguing means to put this to work I'd probably allow it.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2007 :  06:42:55  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Lady Fellshot and The Sage. I was thinking about the Artblade. I have most of the 3e FR supplements, including Lost Empires. I really appreciate it when people correct me when I am wrong. Most time I am responding to posts at work, and with my book collection @ home it makes it difficult to reference stuff.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2007 :  16:03:18  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info every one. Hawkins I totally feel you about being at work without your books. I hate those days. Sometimes you just want to open your book and find out what is on your mind.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000