Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 NwN2 Mask of the Betrayer *Spoiler included*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Miraculixx
Acolyte

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  19:03:33  Show Profile  Visit Miraculixx's Homepage Send Miraculixx a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello all,

since this expansion of NWN 2 was released earlier in Europe, cause of marketing problems or whatever, I wanted to ask you fair folk, if you did or want to give it a try?

I know, that a computer based rpg cant feed the feeling of a gamer group, who plays PnP, but for some lonely evenings(i speak in my case only, girlfriend in holidays) i have gotten time to try this PC based Expansion out.

I dont want to spoil anything about it but *SPOILER*

A very interesting part of the game , is focussed on the "WALL OF THE FAITHLESS", which is, as far as i know, a "Thoril/Faerun only" Part of the D&D Universe.

All in all, imho the game gives you a lot to question, and some answers, why the wall of the faithless is there, or why it cant be eradicated ....

I hope, some of you folk gathered here, give it a try, and eventually try to discuss the story and ending of this(IMHO great story, that is told us there)

**You cannot prevent and prepare for war at the same time**
**Albert Einstein**

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  01:12:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll probably purchase and play this expansion after I get back from my Vermont vacation next Monday.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  08:14:23  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I Bought it yesterday for my collection but i have not seen it yet (Because i'm playing for the 3rd time icewind dale 1 right now, with evil team!!)...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  20:56:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought it, but haven't installed it yet.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

eldritchknight
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  05:16:32  Show Profile  Visit eldritchknight's Homepage Send eldritchknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, you all are lucky. I have a crappy comp, a Pentium 3 730 MNz with 192 MB of RAM. At least I can play Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (the 2nd is on order from Amazon as we speak)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  15:12:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eldritchknight

Man, you all are lucky. I have a crappy comp, a Pentium 3 730 MNz with 192 MB of RAM. At least I can play Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (the 2nd is on order from Amazon as we speak)

BG2 is wonderful, I hope you enjoy it.

Go to Top of Page

eldritchknight
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  07:25:32  Show Profile  Visit eldritchknight's Homepage Send eldritchknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Rinonalyrna Fathomlin! I am currently playing the first game, and am enjoying it greatly. Once I beat it, I'll import my character to BG 2 and hopefully have as much fun with the sequel as I'm having with the first Baldur's Gate.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  16:22:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eldritchknight

Thanks, Rinonalyrna Fathomlin! I am currently playing the first game, and am enjoying it greatly. Once I beat it, I'll import my character to BG 2 and hopefully have as much fun with the sequel as I'm having with the first Baldur's Gate.

I think you will. Baldur's Gate 2 improves on Baldur's Gate 1 in most respects, most importantly character interaction.

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  22:11:46  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree..Baldur's gate series are best of...great gameplay and scenario!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  23:30:10  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have not played the game myself and therefore I cannot say what questions arise from the story plot. Bbut at least I will try to bring the threat back on topic - as noone has tried to answer the initual question actually....

Or at least I will give you a little info where to read more about the Wall of the Faithless. You could read The Prince of Lies novel and also the Crucible: Trail of Cyric the mad. Thereyou will find some more info on the wall and what it is used for.

Further info might be found elsewhere, but therefore you have to rely on other sages of Candlekeep.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  12:31:14  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I share similar sentiments regarding the wall as some of the MotB characters (being damned to non-existence simply for not worshipping a god seems unduly evil, and it seems especially out of place now there's a non-evil deity in charge of it), so I'm glad this subject has finally been addressed, even if it is in a product that's "non-canon".
Go to Top of Page

Miraculixx
Acolyte

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  21:08:27  Show Profile  Visit Miraculixx's Homepage Send Miraculixx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

i am seldom here(to my shame, but job and girlfriend takes too much time away) i wanted to ask, if some more people of you have given the game a try? The game is good, but the story, which is told in this game, it is better than a lot of books (imho). The questions, what do DEAD Gods do, where do they rest,why do they exist after death, are to my humble understanding, very good explained.

Its a shame, that some computer software inventions and stories, dont go officially.
For Example the storyline of Baldurs Gate, in two games and two addons. The story told there, was much better than most books, its my favourite "ALL TIME".

This story, "Mask of Betrayer" was real good too, it happens about a thematic, which nobody of WOTC did give a second glance-> "The wall of the faithless" and why it is still there(in fact the evil god Myrkul was replaced through a lawful neutral one, Kelemvor) and why old god addicts cant be changed easily.

But it is a damm shame (sorry) that good freelancer material(story wise) isnt made official.

Mod edit: Watch the language, people.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Apr 2008 04:14:53
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  21:50:42  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The story and writing of Mask of the Betrayer are far, far superior to a great deal of the stuff put out by the novelists. It's thoughtful, interesting, and has none of the stilted characterization and hopeless dialogue so many FR novels are stuffed to the brim with. You're right; it's a pity it is not canon.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  03:16:40  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am running through it now, just entered into act II. I am currently in Ashenwood and just challenged the frost Giants. Excellent Game. the only drawback that I have found is if your character is a spell caster of any kind. it takes away from the henchmen. I found the first 2 times running through it, that the game would be a brilliant display of light, when all in party started casting. this time I am running a straight fighter and it is working very well overall.
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  22:07:04  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was alright. I was more enthused by the edition of Wild Elves and Genasi to the toolset than the plot of MotB, tbh. didn't float my boat- Spoiler:
And the romance dialogue with Safiya comes out of left field.

As for the whole Wall of the Faithless well... Despite not being an atheist in life, I never particularly dug it or the afterlife baggage of D&D either. Don't get me wrong, I always like Spelljammer but was never much of a fan of the idea that you could "pierce the veil" so to speak.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000